Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,635 members, 7,972,355 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 09:40 AM

About Sap? - Career (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / About Sap? (147537 Views)

Lets Talk About Sap!!! / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / What Do You Know About Sap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 3:09pm On May 31, 2010
for those already consulting, is there a forum or blog where we can ask knowledge questions, i.e if you have an error message on the system or you are stuck somewhere? there are a lot online, but i think someone shld start a local one for this environment. Thanks. Just a suggestion anyway!
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 4:44pm On May 31, 2010
@sappiel

which component area are you really talking about,the forum would be component specific due to the numerous areas in SAP,

f
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 6:09pm On May 31, 2010
@felixv, in as much as i support a100% that it should be component specific, however i was considering the fact that the community is still small, young and growing, and we need to stick together, at least till ppl find their feet. So I suggest we start wuth all modules functional and technical, and see how it goes from there, pls lets limit the discussions to config and not advise on careers and related questions. this is the forum for that.
Re: About Sap? by markos: 6:28pm On May 31, 2010
Sappiel, answer to your question about a forum where SAP error messages can be resolved, SAP official website has a help forum, also there is what used to be called OSS, now SAPNET where you can type in the error message code, you will see similar issues and how to resolve including an OSS fix, there also the SAP SDN website, also there is google!! very useful tool these days, just type in the error code and it will show you links to different SAP forum with answers how to resolve these issues, i dont think there is any need to start a new forum how to fix SAP issues, there are loads out there, sometimes some SAP errors give you answers how to fix including taking you into the IMG where the settings have to be changed or new entries made, also you can make use of transaction SE16N, especially if you are an SD consultant, tables like VBAK, VBAP, use that to check old entries, check if settings have been changed
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 7:30pm On May 31, 2010
You are spot on markos, and indeed I use those tools and resources you mentioned, however, you will be suprised to hear some questions from ppl stuck on their projects and ask questions like "why is my sales order not reflecting the item price?" in such cases you need to tell the asker what to check for in his config. But all said and done, Im open for questions on this forum if and when they arise. I guess we are all learning.
Re: About Sap? by markos: 7:38pm On May 31, 2010
I guess if the item price is not reflected in the sales order, condition record set up?? assign pricing procedure in the IMG?? just kidding, these are things you already know but like i said, Config questions are all answered in the SAP SDN website i mentioned though, found that website useful or the SAP community network, at least 90% of my config issues have been resolved in there, another good site is sap.ittoolbox, so many websites these days, google will be my first choice though, gives you direct answers from websites
Re: About Sap? by winneijay(f): 10:36am On Jun 01, 2010
@ Sappiel,

good to have you back ,

How is the project going, I guess you should be in PH,

Cheers,
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 5:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
markos has answered that question very well, sdn has come along way and most of the guys who answer the questions posted are real developers,a couple senior support colleagues.
so i am not sure another thread would be helpful,

thanks

f
Re: About Sap? by MrToro: 7:29pm On Jun 01, 2010
sappiel:

@MrToro amd co, sorry I havent logged into this forum for a while, and didnt get any notification of your msgs. I am presently on an SAP implementation in Nigeria and will be thru with this contract in July /August, before returning to the UK. In the interim, you can dowmload SD mats from the internet, just google SD certification materials and you will see a couple of schools showing the certification topics. copy these and  google each of the topics individually. lots of work, but well worth it. hope this helps.

Thank you very much Sapfiel. I have got some materials already. Now studying very hard - SD (Order fulfillment). It would be very nice to meet you face2face to share some insights. When are u gonna be in Lagos?

How is the project going?
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 8:28am On Jun 02, 2010
Hi Felixv, Thnx for ur mgs. Im happy u r getting along gd in SD.
Im actually in Lagos, but my schedule is so tight, i dont even have a second for myself. its crazy out here.
However, make sure you crack that SD. Ok. the rewards are worth it. (suffer now, enjoy for a long time after.)
Re: About Sap? by markos: 9:47am On Jun 02, 2010
Sappiel, what is your role in the implementation? are you the SD developer? are you working with any other SD developers, how do they perform the implementation projects in Nigeria?? do they use Solution manager? is it your typical Europe / US implemention template?? you working with Indians, i hear they dominate the SAP project landscape in Nigeria
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2010
@markos. im SD team lead, team size 6 . power users 5. Its an A1 project in oil and Gas industry. Also no asians on this project, but we have consultants from South Africa and Canada.
Re: About Sap? by markos: 10:29am On Jun 02, 2010
sounds good, very good experience being an SD team lead, always leads to the next big role, guess your power users/ super users will support the end users once you go live, was once a team lead myself for a travel management implementation back in days, damn i have forgotten these TM skills!!
Re: About Sap? by ant01: 1:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
@good 4 u sappiel. Trust all goes well. Have started work myself, But hope to be in nigeria soon when i get a perm job there, contracting days r coming to an end 4 me sad Take care and have fun!
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 3:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
@sappiel (f)
sorry,i am not an SD consultant, pity though it seems to sound interesting.the only functional stuff i actually know is based on liveCache,im sure the manufacturing guys would know what i am talking about,SCM, ppds, snp, DP, planning for the future,

f
Re: About Sap? by AbusM(m): 10:29am On Jun 04, 2010
In as much as we all crave greatness and a solid headway in our careers>>> I know it's a LOT of hardwork to hit it just like we desire.
I just like to share that my own idea/ plan of getting into SAP is to regain my lost time and trap that running satisfaction from being a professional.

With the help of Sappiel, Markos and a host of others, i got to know SAP IS Oil and Gas is my module after being confused by some money minded Indians. I did Physics in Uni, i presently work in an Oil and Gas environment. Not to bore you with my lyrics, Now I have self study materials on SAP IS IOG: IOG 100, 150, 330, 350, SCM500 SCM 600, only still chilling to get IOG W40, w50 and IOG 340. If u care to have it, u let me know, though it's not easy to come bye, i now have a feel of the future. Sellah

Sappiel favour us to meet you now that u are in Lagos, .U should know how instrumental you have been here, pls would u inbox me ur address or number abbmesq@yahoo.com
Re: About Sap? by BORDEAUX(f): 11:39am On Jun 04, 2010
doughng:

@winneijay,
That's so kind of you. Thanks a lot!
@ winniejay and doughng ,Please can i also have a pdf copy in my inbox, i need it quite urgently to have a grasp of sap, sap is now thee future i'll be very grateful.

my email is emeka2kafos@yahoo.com
Re: About Sap? by BORDEAUX(f): 11:41am On Jun 04, 2010
BORDEAUX:

@ winniejay and doughng ,Please can i also have a pdf copy in my inbox, i need it quite urgently to have a grasp of sap, sap is now thee future i'll be very grateful.

my email is emeka2kafos@yahoo.com

@ winniejay and makos,
i've been into IT and Networking, which of the sap platforms would be best for me to learn?

thanks amill
Re: About Sap? by denzel2009: 1:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
Re: About Sap? by markos: 1:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
Hi Bordeaux, welcome here if you new, well if you read the 24 pages of this thread, you will know where your skills fits in the SAP environment, if you have an IT background, i will automatically say SAP basis is what you could consider
Re: About Sap? by tundebabzy: 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2010
@bordeaux
as markos said, go through the whole thread. You will get 1 year worth of information and you will definetely find where your skill fits
Re: About Sap? by denzel2009: 2:57pm On Jun 04, 2010
The pros have spoken. BASIS aka ENTERPRISE PORTAL it is.

This might help too.

SAP hot modules.

Which SAP Functional Module is the Hottest? An Exclusive by an SAP Consultant
Which SAP Functional Module is the Hottest?

For the first time ever, I am ranking all the core modules from hottest to least hot. I'm not going to count Business Suite applications; I'll cover them in a separate piece down the road. Before you read this list, I recommend reading my full disclaimer about my SAP hot skills rankings, which has some crucial skills tips as well.

Just remember one thing: sometimes what is hot is not a particular module, but which combination of modules are used. For example, MM and PP are not as hot as some areas, but taken together as "Logistics" with a bit of SD thrown in, they can be very hot. Then there are areas like Project Systems (PS), which are not necessarily super hot but are definitely good niches.
Your background goes a long way towards determining what you should be pursuing - not just what's hot. In addition, within a particular module, some areas are much hotter than others. The SAP version number you are working in also has a lot to do with what's hot. ERP 6.0 skills are much hotter than 4.6c across the board.

With that in mind, let's have a look at some of the hottest modules in SAP, ranked in terms of their relative consulting demand:

1. FI/CO (Financials) - Driven by the core upgrades, Financials is still the hottest thing going in the "functional module" arena. I now divide SAP Financials into three areas: Financials (FI), Controlling (CO), and "value added" components. In the core Financials area, you really need that ERP 6.0 upgrade experience. Good old "Accounts Payable" may not be the hottest thing, but when you have the new General Ledger under your belt, now you're talking. The New GL ties into increased activity on global reporting and compliance, driven by SAP's multi-lingual reporting capabilities. It is now possible to really have a top-down GL structure that integrates parallel lines of subledgers in real time. This is a good skill to have, and compliance-based reporting is yet one more reason why the SAP Financials demand ranks the highest. The "Controlling" areas (CO module) are also in demand. Many of these areas involve the costing of various aspects of your company's operations, and analyzing profit and loss by segment and product is very much in demand. SAP has been honing its CO components for years, and the functional areas in CO are robust and also start to dovetail into BI/SEM, which is not a bad skill to have on the resume either.

We're also seeing some definite demand for the FI/Travel Management piece, now that this has crossed over from HR. In terms of the "value added" areas of SAP Financials, there are some interesting niches emerging too, from Treasury to Funds Management (Public Sector), Fixed Assets/Asset Accountings, and, perhaps the most hyped, Financial Supply Chain Management (FSCM). FSCM is, in part, about web-based collaborative tools, such as an online claims and disputes management process that is integrated into the core ERP system. Anytime you have a cutting edge "extended ERP" skill like that, you are moving in the right direction, as long as you don't get too far ahead of the overall market demand. Also, keep on the lookout for more work in GRC (Governance, Risk and Compliance) and EPM (Enterprise Performance Management) as the Business Objects product integration proceeds. All these strategic areas bode well for both the present and future of SAP Financials consulting.

2. HR/HCM (Human Resources/Human Capital Management) - HR/HCM is making a surprisingly strong push for number one. Also driven by core upgrades, HR/HCM is remaining hot in part because HCM is emerging as a competitive advantage for companies (as opposed to the traditional HR administrative/back office approach). This is increasing the need for those who are skilled in Performance Management configuration, as well as E-Recruiting, and we can expect a similar surge in the need for other areas of Talent Management as well, as more and more companies realize that they need the best possible software solution to aid in their attempts to recruit and retain top talent as a key competitive driver. Performance Management is currently one of the hottest areas of Talent Management, because you can't manage talent unless you can systematically evaluate and reward performance.

We are also seeing a big push in terms of Portals-based HR self-service, with ESS (Employee Self-Service) and MSS (Manager Self-Service) showing up on a lot of job orders. There are also some Portals-HR-Security tie-ins driving work in this area. Another advantage to SAP HCM: many of the components are new, thus reducing competition from experienced consultants. As one recruiting friend of mine told me, "SAP HR has grown up." The combination of the increased quality of the core HR components and SAP's sophisticated HCM solutions is driving more and more companies to standardize on SAP for HR and FI as they upgrade. This means we can be confident that SAP HR skills will be in demand, not just during this "upgrade wave," but after the upgrade, as more strategic HCM components are installed.

3. SD (Sales and Distribution) - I see SD getting pulled into Logistics upgrades, and to some degree, into extended Supply Chain Management (SCM) when it comes to the "distribution" side of SD, and this is a hot area. There is also some demand for SD-Variant Configuration, which often ties into PP and MM. Then of course you have Pricing, which can be very sophisticated, and the bread-and-butter Billing component comes into play also. And, of course, SD-CRM integration. Another area we are seeing that drives the demand for SD consultants is the SD-GTS (Global Trade Systems), now frequently called GTM (Global Trade Management) - a key area for many international SAP implementations, and one that requires significant expertise to configure properly. International tax requirements are pretty complex, and SAP's GTM solution is going to play an increasing role in this. SD spans a lot of areas, from the "sales" side of SD tying into CRM, and the "distribution" side tying into overall Logistics side of SAP as well as the Supply Chain Management (SCM) components. SD's integral role in all these areas promises continued consulting demand.

4. WM (Warehouse Management) - Perhaps the biggest surprise on this list, Warehouse Management has made a big rise from earlier days. If I had made this list four years ago, WM would not have ranked this high. This niche area has traditionally been more attractive in combination with other skill sets, such as MM/WM. However, we are seeing more of an emphasis on WM jobs lately, and that is because SAP's WM component is starting to win more projects over the best-of-breed warehouse management systems that many companies previously opted for instead of SAP WM.

SAP EWM (Extended Warehouse Management) is driving some of the job orders in this module also, as companies are able to manage complex warehouses down to the storage bin level. Of course, some companies have more sophisticated, industry-specific warehouse management needs than SAP can currently handle, but as SAP beefs up WM further, that list is getting smaller. Another good skills combination involves WM and RF/RFID, and if RFID ever picks up more momentum, that particular combination could solidify WM on this list even further. But what makes WM hot today is just the simple needs of companies for more visibility into their inventory, integrated real time with their ERP system. Basic issues like managing storage bins in multiple locations are the key to WM demand today.

5. PS (Project Systems) - PS continues to gain traction as a perhaps unexpectedly popular SAP niche area. It's a versatile module that links up with several key areas of SAP, but the PS-FI/CO integration between PS and the costing components in the SAP CO (Controlling) module is probably the key to the ongoing demand in this area.

6. PP (Production Planning) - Use varies by industry, so there's not as much demand here across the board as in more general areas of SAP like HCM that cross industries more universally. PP is often in more demand when tied into other core Logistics components (SD/MM/PP) or integrated with APO on occasion. I think that PP is an area that may be better pursued now as part of a broader SCM (Supply Chain Management) focus.

7. MM (Materials Management) - A pretty low place on the list for a core area of SAP, but there are some reasons for this. Not all industries apply or use the MM module. It does get pulled into many Logistics and SCM processes and job openings. Some would consider IM (Inventory Management) a separate SAP niche module, but for our purposes here, I'm grouping it with MM, and the MM/IM skills combination is one of the hotter MM-related skill sets. However, MM has also given way to SRM when it comes to e-procurement and more sophisticated marketplace and auction functionality.

8. QM (Quality Management) - Another niche module that seems to have more traction in areas where compliance throughout the manufacturing process is mission critical, such as Pharma and Chemicals. This is another area of SAP that does compete with best-of-breed systems for market acceptance. In many industries where companies would consider QM, they cannot bend on functionality simply based on the appeal of easy integration with the ERP core. Because QM is often tied to regulatory compliance, best-of-breed solutions that address the compliance issue perfectly often have the upper hand over SAP QM. For this reason, SAP has very little penetration into best-of-breed "QM" areas like LIMS (Laboratory Management Information Systems). While the QM area does support some senior level expert consultants, in general QM skills often work best in conjunction with core modules like MM. The MM/QM mix is a common and effective one.

9. PM (Plant Maintenance) - PM is another niche area of SAP that has always had a steady trickle of requirements, typically scooped up by senior level consultants. Again, PM is often a handy module to have in conjunction with other core areas like MM, or other niche areas like SM. I don't consider PM to be a good focus for an SAP "newbie," but it can be a nice area for a senior level consultant. In some industries, we also see a nice skills combination of SM/PM/CS, and this area may get a bit hotter as NetWeaver's embedded wireless capabilities have an impact on integrating the shop floors of these remote service and plant areas. Another example of where SAP has had some success is in the SAP MRO for Aerospace and Defense solution (Maintenance, Repairs, and Optimization). There is enough consulting work to support an experienced consultant, but not enough for new folks in my opinion, unless their non-SAP industry background lines up perfectly.

10. SM (Service Management) - If combined with the CRM Service area, which has overlapping functionality, SM might go higher on this list. To the best of my knowledge, future development of Service functionality is taking place on the CRM Service side, so the core SM module is not something to count on in the long term, which is why it earns last place on this list. But, enough SAP customers are still utilizing it that it remains an area of some demand. SM/PM is an interesting combination, and SM/CRM may have some appeal as well. We also see plenty of SM/CS (Customer Service) requirements.

I hope this ranking of the SAP modules was taken with a grain of salt. There are successful consultants working in all ten of these areas and many more besides. But if this answer helped to give a better sense of which functional skills are in demand, then it was a fun way to do it. Let me know what you think of it.
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 4:19pm On Jun 04, 2010
Hey Abu$, Markos and the gang! Hope y'all are chilling out there. Today was really nice, we (my SAP team) went bowling and pool shooting and lunch at the Palms in lekki, enjoyed ourselves, its called team-bonding!!! anyway, just an aside, but a nice way to destress urself of the grind of SAP implementations. Hope this weekend is restful for you all, I intend to rest as well, but i gotta work tommorow and sunday if i want to finish this project soon. I cant wait to take a well deserved holiday to somewhere nice at the end of it all! Study hard o, and practice! Sacrifice this time. Have a good wkend.
Re: About Sap? by AbusM(m): 5:05pm On Jun 04, 2010
Why Sappiel you deserve more joo, meanwhile i still crave ur contact wetin happen now, my office is around VI, close to the palms, allow me to see you face, let me see your face, Omo naija Ni wa now, 9ja ni mo ti ka ABC, sappiel don't ignore this, i wanna see you>>>>>
Re: About Sap? by argentina: 6:33pm On Jun 04, 2010
sappiel:

For those wanting to attend the new SAP Academy in Lagos, they are starting the HR module this June, but for other modules, I will give you the date when I know. Please note:::: It has nothing to do with me!!!!!!!!!! I am just aware of it by chance. However, I can arrange a discount on the price if there is a bulk attendance. Just to let you know also, some of the attendees are from Ghana and Cameroun, that shows theres no other one around. Was told its for 4 weeks intensive and cert exams are arranged.

hi sappiel , where is the sap academy situated in Lagos? please ur reply is needed urgently,enjoy ur wkend
Re: About Sap? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 05, 2010
@ Abu$M and Markos

Remember me? I was the guy that did petroleum engineering and pass his certification exam in March in Netweaver BI 7.0.

Please, can you send me IS Oil and Gas official training materials [IOG]  ( I read in one of your post that you attended the training a while ago).

Finally got a contract as a Junior BI7.0 consultant with a company in NJ. My intended career path is - BI7.0  to SAP BO to Basis to IS oil and gas, MM and SCM.
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 3:17pm On Jun 05, 2010
@argentina, the academy is at Ikeja. Please what module are you interested in? give me ur email address and i will tell them to mail you the details. I know one of the consultants.
Re: About Sap? by Felixv: 1:02am On Jun 06, 2010
@alutaa

hey im in philly,newtown square, why dont you pay us a visit,you will get to see the sap office and meet some of the BI gurus as well,

f
Re: About Sap? by AbusM(m): 10:38am On Jun 06, 2010
@sappiel, my email is abbmesq@yahoo.com could please prompt the Academy at ikeja to mail me so i can go have an enquiry there? Thenks sis, you ve been so smart at ignoring my request about seing you, only married women do so,

@alutaa the materials are so bulky, so im looking for the best means to send it o you. if u ve go ideas, pls educated me. where are u based n where did u write ur exams? we could talk,
Re: About Sap? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 06, 2010
@Abu$M

Can you pls upload using various online storage eg  megaupload.  After uploading, just copy the link and and send it to people that are interested.
Re: About Sap? by sappiel(f): 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2010
Abu$, the only reason why responsible ppl shy away from forums like this is that people like you abuse its use. I dont need to see you or know you. This forum is for constructive exchanges of ideas and information on matters beneficial to all. , it is regardless of whether i am male or female. Anything you wish to share or ask is to be done publicly on this forum for the benefit of everyone. Pls respect yourself and this forum. If you or anyone is intersted in the academy, just signify by putting down ur email addtress and i promise they will contact you.
Re: About Sap? by eiheagwam: 1:46pm On Jun 06, 2010
I got a place that is trainingi but they say they are into SAP business one. I want to find out how relevant SAP business one is. Can i start from there and then move up to A1 or later start implementations in much larger projects. I need some understanding so i dont make a mistake.
Is it necessary to go ahead to learn SAP business one or do i go ahead to learn those with modules(erp)?
How relevant is it in the nigerian market?

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (48) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Salary Structure? / Welcome To My Office / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.