Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,369 members, 7,920,414 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 06:40 AM

I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon (8080 Views)

MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Cia And Mossad To Divide Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Akpangbon: 2:31pm On May 11, 2009
londoner:

@diasporan, I'm glad you are hopeful about the numbers of people in Nigeria who are willing to stand up and be counted. I disagree, I do not believe there are millions who are willing to work tirelessly for a better Nigeria, the average Nigerian in Nigeria seems to share the mindset of those like purestboy. The majority of npeople who know there needs to be change think its the sole responsibility of someone else to serve it to them on a plate.

However I dont think real lasting change will necessarilly need millions of people to start it, thank Goodness.

So all the people in Nigeria thinks hope is lost on them? What a goon you are.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 2:35pm On May 11, 2009
Sky Blue:

Here is the issue, you postulated that you couldn't contribute meaningfully to progress in Nigeria and I disagreed saying that whoever wants to contribute can in numerous ways. So please do tell, where does this "choice" I have to respect come into the equation?

Nice try. Here is the real issue - I am saying I WANT do come home and help with my kind of knowledge. However, I am unable to do so. ALSO I wont be feeling fulfilled with my role due to several reasons I mentioned. Strangely, you appear to have missed all of this, or left it out deliberately.

You them made some comment along the lines of how my skills can be transferred etc. Does it not occur to you that I may not want to transfer any skills across? Hence why I mentioned "Choice". Also, it is like asking a pilot to transfer his skills and work in say banking sector, Jeez that will be a waste. But hey, I dont expect you to agree or even see my point. smiley

Sky Blue:

The situation can be likened to someone saying they are hungry and they want to eat but there is no food after which they are informed that there is food but its only garri and egusi to which they reply that they only prefer aphagetti and it is their choice. What am I supposed to do with that please? I was weary of actually responding since you took offence at my last post addressed to you, so please, we don't need to have exchanges if it would keep on degenerating into this.

Apple and oranges. Not exactly the same thing.

Dude, if you have noticed my manner of posting around here. I am weary of getting into lengthy debates, but sometimes it is necessary to point out certain things to make necessary points. Your statement that you apologised for wasn't necessary in the first place. Period.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by londoner: 2:37pm On May 11, 2009
Akpangbon:

So all the people in Nigeria thinks hope is lost on them? What a goon you are.

Please cut and paste where I said that please. There is no need just being defensive and emotional about the truth. The average Nigerian when you ask them about solutions and a better way forward, hardly ever cites what he or she can do personally, its is always someone else. I did not say all Nigerians feel hope is lost on them, but they generally dont feel they have a hand to play in the change they seek. That was my point and not what you suggested I was saying.

Btw, this is a debate between adults, it may be an idea to keep it that way instead of resorting to name calling. this issue is too important for that nonsense.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by tombola: 2:37pm On May 11, 2009
ElRufai

You have nothing meaningful to say apart from my profession, my profession, are you a shit carrier?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 2:39pm On May 11, 2009
Akpangbon:

@SkyBlue

Dont mind ElRufai, he talks about his proffession as if it is one out of the ordinary, even if JEsus Christ comes to Nigeria today, He will have a lot to do, talkless of a mere whatever your profession is goon.

I have only ever mentioned what I do less than 4times or so debating here. This is what I mean about people just being bitter at their own existence. Nice try.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by mosunade(f): 2:41pm On May 11, 2009
Someone wakes up and tells us he may give up on Nigeria soon and we are all here trying to tell him not to? Who cares how many people give up on Nigeria? What good has that got to do to us?We should rather applaud him, tell him to denounce his citizenry, if he hasnt yet done so, and then bugger off into complete oblivion, never coming near anything Nigeria anymore.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by IGWEUSA(m): 2:42pm On May 11, 2009
Plz all of you that have lost hope in Nigeria should leave /never return to nigeria again. As for me, I cant wait to have my own share of Nigeria cake. Yep, thats one of my birth rights.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by SkyBlue1: 2:42pm On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

Nice try. Here is the real issue - I am saying I WANT do come home and help with my kind of knowledge. However, I am unable to do so. ALSO I wont be feeling fulfilled with my role due to several reasons I mentioned. Strangely, you appear to have missed all of this, or left it out deliberately.

You them made some comment along the lines of how my skills can be transferred etc. Does it not occur to you that I may not want to transfer any skills across? Hence why I mentioned "Choice". Also, it is like asking a pilot to transfer his skills and work in say banking sector, Jeez that will be a waste. But hey, I dont expect you to agree or even see my point. smiley

Apple and oranges. Not exactly the same thing.

Dude, if you have noticed my manner of posting around here. I am weary of getting into lengthy debates, but sometimes it is necessary to point out certain things to make necessary points. Your statement that you apologised for wasn't necessary in the first place. Period.

Sky Blue:

Here is the issue, you postulated that you couldn't contribute meaningfully to progress in Nigeria and I disagreed saying that whoever wants to contribute can in numerous ways. So please do tell, where does this "choice" I have to respect come into the equation? The situation can be likened to someone saying they are hungry and they want to eat but there is no food after which they are informed that there is food but its only garri and egusi, to which they reply that they only prefer spaghetti and it is their choice. ? ? ? What am I supposed to do with that please? Take a leaf out of your book and respect people's choices as you seem to postulate. Some people say they want to contribute where they can and that Nigeria is not dead, they say they want to be part of the solution, some say it is not yet ready for them, etc. Both choices with each having their own reasons.

I was weary of actually responding since you took offence at my last post addressed to you, so please, we don't need to have exchanges if it would keep on degenerating into this so please kindly feel absolutely free to ignore my posts completely. I am not into online squabbles.

So you not wanting to do anything except what you trained for means you can't contribute as opposed to you rather contribute on your own terms? Does that mean you can't contribute or does that mean you would rather contribute a certain way?

What makes you think the post which you derided and took offence at was completely directed specifically at you when I made note that is was more directed at ideas shared by groups of people, etc? So I should make note of things that ElRazur might or might not take personally before I post on any part of a public forum as not to be labeled "bitter" from someone who knows nothing about me? This exchange is proving to be an exercise in futility so just forget it please. Feel free to have a last say and if you took offence at the post then apologies but as I stated earlier I still stand by what I have posted, its a public forum.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by surface(f): 2:50pm On May 11, 2009
imagine these guys fighting 4 nothing while their rulers are busy counting money in Abuja shocked shocked shocked
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On May 11, 2009
surface:

imagine these guys fighting 4 nothing while their rulers are busy counting money in Abuja shocked shocked shocked

Roflmao!!!

Has that not been the story of Nigeria from the beginning? We sit fighting each other knowing for certain that NO ONE OF US HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE HAS THE ANSWERS, but we are too proud to accept that, let alone admit it.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 2:53pm On May 11, 2009
Sky Blue:

So you not wanting to do anything except what you trained for means you can't contribute as opposed to you rather contribute on your own terms? What makes you think the post which you derided and took offence at was completely directed specifically at you when I made note that is was more directed at ideas shared by groups of people, etc? So I should make note of things that ElRazur might or might not take personally before I post on any part of a public forum as not to be labeled "bitter" from someone who knows nothing about me? This exchange is proving to be an exercise in futility so just forget it please. Feel free to have a last say and if you took offence at the post then apologies but as I stated earlier I still stand by what I have posted, its a public forum.

Here, you are forgetting I have a choice. Do you respect that?  Who is giving terms? I am merely telling you I cannot do what I am supposed to do. Did I not mentioned, I will feel under achieve? Jeez, you do realise people's life depend sometimes on decision I may be making? I don't know about you, but you just don't cut corners when it comes to people's life.

I am getting tired of people back tracking in a debate. Have a spine for crying out loud. You post was directed at me, even others are able to see it. Why? I was the only one at the time you posted to mention how my field is severely under developed at home. A statement you later added to you post, so, how can you now say it aint directed at me?  
And as for thinking I labelled you bitter, Oh please. That was directed at people like Akpongbon - He appears to have several accounts on here that he/she uses for derailing threads. If anything, throughout this thread I considered you as one of those with brains and who know how to debate. smiley  

This is not about having a last say etc. We are more or less making things clearer to one another. smiley
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 3:11pm On May 11, 2009
PurestBoy:

Which Hope for this country?? when the younger generation seems to be worse and every young Nigerians including me already have the plan to embezzle at the slightest opportunity

This is exactly what most young nigerians are thinking.Statements like "no be me spoil nigeria and no be me go repair am" and "o boy shine your eyes if u enter government, no behave like mugu" are the other of the day.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by PurestBoy(m): 3:16pm On May 11, 2009
@Londoner

Why don't you specify your location to give us clue about your post. I have just said the trust that the younger generation is worse and this I believe is the lesson they learnt from there leaders. I have said this and I'm saying it again: If I have the opportunity to rule even a micro-local Govt, I will embezzle and open a bank account in Swiss. So why're you acting like Mr Nice guy as if you don't know what's going on in this country.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 3:20pm On May 11, 2009
asha 80:

[/b]

This is exactly what most young nigerians are thinking.Statements like "no be me spoil nigeria and no be me go repair am" and "o boy shine your eyes if u enter government, no behave like mugu" are the other of the day.

Haaaa. Now let us go back to the point I made all along. We are indeed witnessing a vicious cycle. Perhaps we need a war of some kind to change this sort of thinking? I know you already say you don't agree, but I feel strongly about this point I have been making.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by londoner: 3:21pm On May 11, 2009
Purestboy, erm, my username is "Londoner". My location should be obvious from that alone.
I will not get into any further debate with you, people who think like you are not even worth my energy.

btw I'm a woman not a guy.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 3:34pm On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

Haaaa. Now let us go back to the point I made all along. We are indeed witnessing a vicious cycle. Perhaps we need a war of some kind to change this sort of thinking? I know you already say you don't agree, but I feel strongly about this point I have been making.

If i may ask the war will who against who?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ElRazur: 3:38pm On May 11, 2009
asha 80:

If i may ask the war will who against who?

Elements of corruption and those alive who have helped steered Nigeria to it current position, Eventually, it will lead to civil war as more and more people take sides.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by tayo4me(f): 3:49pm On May 11, 2009
I believe Nigeria is still going to be great, it would just take a long time. One problem is that we are all guilty, especially the youth. We complain of how the older generation is handling the current situation in Nigeria, but we indirectly help them. These people (politicians) are smart, and are always eager to employ the services of restless and poverty-sticken youth in distrupting the nation.

One thing is that we need prayers, but some of our so-called religious leaders are not any better. They see their various religious institutions as money making centres and are not even ashamed to glorify and support the unsrupulous leaders.

There are so many people who have the intention and various ideas of making Nigeria a better country, but it is so unfortunate that the rotten eggs outnumber such people, thereby frustrating their attempts.

I urge fellow Nigerians to keep praying, striving and working hard to make this country great. We must never loose hope (I know it is sometimes difficult), because if we do, nobody will do it for us. We should not allow the works of our past leaders (the good ones) go down the drain. The truth is that if we all resolve on coming together to contribute in our own little way, gradually our beloved country would move to greater heights and become the envy of other nations.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by ademocrat(m): 4:08pm On May 11, 2009
Giving up on Nigeria means you are giving up on yourself, I do not know how old anybody is , but if you are still in your youthful age, (let all the sixties leave please), then you still have a future, Nigeria is your home, where will you run too, is it a place that you are not sure maybe fish flu will break out (you that you love fish, maybe because of the price)?, or terrorist attack. Nigeria will only become a better place if you and I become better people. It Starts with You
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by londoner: 4:14pm On May 11, 2009
ademocrat:

Giving up on Nigeria means you are giving up on yourself, I do not know how old anybody is , but if you are still in your youthful age, (let all the sixties leave please), then you still have a future, Nigeria is your home, where will you run too, is it a place that you are not sure maybe fish flu will break out (you that you love fish, maybe because of the price)?, or terrorist attack. Nigeria will only become a better place if you and I become better people. It Starts with You

When all is said and done, this is the truth which remains.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by deb(m): 4:19pm On May 11, 2009
You can give up on Nigeria all you care. I AM NOT GONNA GIVE UP ON MA COUNTRY
Giving up means losing. I have never seen where a quitter ever won.
Our country will be better and for those who care to listen, things may not seem fast but
things are surely changing and we will get there. I am an undying optimist and i believe this
country will be great again because we have great people too in there
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by tombola: 4:25pm On May 11, 2009
To hell with all those who wants to give up on Nigeria - I will aid them by giving them acid to drink to quicken people to forget them.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by preselect(m): 5:46pm On May 11, 2009
nigeria will improve, but not in our lifetime. if we continue at the current pace we are moving, in about 200yrs we will get to where eastern europe is today.

but by then the rest of the world has moved even further, so naijans will still be lining up for visa
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 6:00pm On May 11, 2009
@Nuzo, I am not going to sit here and tell you how, because less than 7% of 140 million (even though we have no proof that that percentage has changed much in the last 2 decades) can boast of a decent life, things are changing for good in Nigeria. Neither am I going to tell you that if you follow your heart by going back to contribute to change things in your local area that things will change tomorrow. I can however tell you that whatever you feel you can do, do it for the sake of your own soul. Do it so you can at least tell your own children and grandchildren what you did and how far you were willing to go to see things change in that country.

You are right, on a whole things are not moving forward in Nigeria. Some people will come in to try to swell your head with stories of how people like Fashola, and some other guys are doing “marvelous” work. The very same do not understand that at the end of the day, the more we continue to depend on this small group to change things, only a tiny fraction of people will be positively impacted by this, but at the end of the day, if we do not step up to make sure these changes will endure even after these men have been replaced, we will likely lose the little development, only for the cycle to continue. This has been the reality in Lagos for the past 30 years.

Nigeria is a country of over 140 million people; many of whom live in states where there are next to no development or change in site. Lagos alone is a state of about 15 million people that is about 10% of the population of the state. At the end of the day, about 30% of the people in that state will be able to boast of a better life (and no, I do not mean access to good roads and cleaner air cause at the end of the day, a hungry man does not care much for those things in his anger), but we will still have over 100 million people living in Nigeria under very poor conditions and with little access to decent living, let alone opportunities for better life. Worse yet we still do not have measures in place to ensure that when the man is gone, all his work will not be in vain. And for those who will come in to claim the same man is definitely working to make sure that does not happen, I say, if you know anything of government in Nigeria, you would know that he is limited in his power to control what will happen when he is gone. You only need to consult history of the state to understand that simple fact.

However, I will say that I believe in the power of the people and I do believe that if the people are truly ready for change, they can turn that power into something positive, if they are only willing to overlook differences and focus more on the goal. No one can guarantee that things will change in the next 2 decades. For all we know, five years from now, Nigeria might disintegrate in to civil war; yes, it is possible. And no, we do not need to dream of war for it to happen, just as we never needed to dream of life without power for that to happen.

I do know that we are all responsible for the problem. From the politicians who get into office and then start bombarding us with excuses for why they are unable to do their job for Nigeria to the average Nigerian who believes that if Mr. A gets a nice house, it is sign that Nigeria as a nation is getting better, never mind that during the same time Mr. B, and Mr. C who used to have good lives suddenly joined the line of destitute. And I believe that not until we are able to speak with a unified voice will we see change of any sort.

I am willing to admit that we do not have even a 50% guarantee that if we all decided to put in $1000 of our own money and time, that things will definitely change, so I am not going to ask you to contribute towards the good of the nation, Nigeria. But I will suggest that you focus on your legacy and what you want your kids and grandchildren to know of you as a human being. This is one of the reasons why I am not anti tribalism; definitely, there is the bad, but I do wish people would at least stop spewing claims of having pride in their ethnicity but act by proving it to us in some way. If a man was truly proud of his family, he would show it to the world by doing all he can to provide for his family and make sure they do not lack in anything. This way when people hear him, they know for a fact that he means what he says.

If however, the burden is just too heavy, please feel free to let it go and live your life as wonderfully as you can ooO!!

ps: ramblings put together in between meetings, if you have questions ask! if you are just another slowpoke with issues, skip it!!
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by AmAlone: 6:21pm On May 11, 2009
Sincerely I've learnt to act fact why you have the chance too. . .

Patience My Dear, Will Kill You!!! undecided
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by WarfyBoy(m): 6:31pm On May 11, 2009
mem, kno be for mouth, we need to do sumtin fast fast, i kno dey like wash hand when i kno say i kno go chop, action dem say speaks louder than words, we need fresh blood, if na to kidnap Yar'Adua now now make we find better blood put for there no probs

if una ready make una call me for this number +2348033921821, i full grand remain,

we need to wipe those hoodlums out, National Assembly, House of Rep, govnors, local gvt chairman, INEC chairman [if i catch this guy sha] anybody ewy dey govnt office, all of dem go collect

halla me
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 6:35pm On May 11, 2009
Warfy Boy:

mem, kno be for mouth, we need to do sumtin fast fast, i kno dey like wash hand when i kno say i kno go chop, action dem say speaks louder than words, we need fresh blood, if na to kidnap Yar'Adua now now make we find better blood put for there no probs

if una ready make una call me for this number +2348033921821, i full grand remain,

we need to wipe those hoodlums out, National Assembly, House of Rep, govnors, local gvt chairman, INEC chairman [if i catch this guy sha] anybody ewy dey govnt office, all of dem go collect

halla me

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by yicob(m): 6:56pm On May 11, 2009
The only solution is to pray Rapture takes place. Anything beside that? Statusquo remains !
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by asha80(m): 7:47pm On May 11, 2009
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by bawomolo(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2009
Warfy Boy:

halla me

ha ha ha
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by WarfyBoy(m): 9:12pm On May 11, 2009
@bawomolo WHATS THE HA HA ABT? HMMMMM,

c e dey look for change single liver e no get, wait make mana fall from heaven, i hear
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by tombola: 9:19pm On May 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Nuzo, I am not going to sit here and tell you how, because less than 7% of 140 million (even though we have no proof that that percentage has changed much in the last 2 decades) can boast of a decent life, things are changing for good in Nigeria. Neither am I going to tell you that if you follow your heart by going back to contribute to change things in your local area that things will change tomorrow. I can however tell you that whatever you feel you can do, do it for the sake of your own soul. Do it so you can at least tell your own children and grandchildren what you did and how far you were willing to go to see things change in that country.

You are right, on a whole things are not moving forward in Nigeria. Some people will come in to try to swell your head with stories of how people like Fashola, and some other guys are doing “marvelous” work. The very same do not understand that at the end of the day, the more we continue to depend on this small group to change things, only a tiny fraction of people will be positively impacted by this, but at the end of the day, if we do not step up to make sure these changes will endure even after these men have been replaced, we will likely lose the little development, only for the cycle to continue. This has been the reality in Lagos for the past 30 years.

Nigeria is a country of over 140 million people; many of whom live in states where there are next to no development or change in site. Lagos alone is a state of about 15 million people that is about 10% of the population of the state. At the end of the day, about 30% of the people in that state will be able to boast of a better life (and no, I do not mean access to good roads and cleaner air cause at the end of the day, a hungry man does not care much for those things in his anger), but we will still have over 100 million people living in Nigeria under very poor conditions and with little access to decent living, let alone opportunities for better life. Worse yet we still do not have measures in place to ensure that when the man is gone, all his work will not be in vain. And for those who will come in to claim the same man is definitely working to make sure that does not happen, I say, if you know anything of government in Nigeria, you would know that he is limited in his power to control what will happen when he is gone. You only need to consult history of the state to understand that simple fact.

However, I will say that I believe in the power of the people and I do believe that if the people are truly ready for change, they can turn that power into something positive, if they are only willing to overlook differences and focus more on the goal. No one can guarantee that things will change in the next 2 decades. For all we know, five years from now, Nigeria might disintegrate in to civil war; yes, it is possible. And no, we do not need to dream of war for it to happen, just as we never needed to dream of life without power for that to happen.

I do know that we are all responsible for the problem. From the politicians who get into office and then start bombarding us with excuses for why they are unable to do their job for Nigeria to the average Nigerian who believes that if Mr. A gets a nice house, it is sign that Nigeria as a nation is getting better, never mind that during the same time Mr. B, and Mr. C who used to have good lives suddenly joined the line of destitute. And I believe that not until we are able to speak with a unified voice will we see change of any sort.

I am willing to admit that we do not have even a 50% guarantee that if we all decided to put in $1000 of our own money and time, that things will definitely change, so I am not going to ask you to contribute towards the good of the nation, Nigeria. But I will suggest that you focus on your legacy and what you want your kids and grandchildren to know of you as a human being. This is one of the reasons why I am not anti tribalism; definitely, there is the bad, but I do wish people would at least stop spewing claims of having pride in their ethnicity but act by proving it to us in some way. If a man was truly proud of his family, he would show it to the world by doing all he can to provide for his family and make sure they do not lack in anything. This way when people hear him, they know for a fact that he means what he says.

If however, the burden is just too heavy, please feel free to let it go and live your life as wonderfully as you can ooO!!

ps: ramblings put together in between meetings, if you have questions ask! if you are just another slowpoke with issues, skip it!!

The most in coherent, contradictory and meaningless thing I ever read in years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PHOTO: Nnamdi Kanu Wife Finally Speaks On His Detention - Ibtimesuk / Court Orders FG To Allow Dasuki Access To His Lawyers / Mai Buni Led APC Caretaker Committee Tenure Extended To June 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.