Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,903 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:52 PM

I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon (8032 Views)

MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Cia And Mossad To Divide Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by yeswecan(m): 12:51am On May 14, 2009
I will never give up
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by kayc33(m): 1:47am On May 14, 2009
abeg make una dey give up make we knw how many we remain 4 dis country cool
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Thor(m): 8:32am On May 14, 2009
kayc33:

abeg make una dey give up make we knw how many we remain 4 dis country cool

You are absolutely correct smiley smiley smiley

OK, enough time wasted, everybody back to the internet cafe, those 419 emails wont get sent on their own grin grin grin
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 8:51am On May 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

A couple of questions for you please.  . . .
1) There are about 140 million Nigerians (140,000,000) living in Nigeria full time. Does Nigeria really need the (10,000,000) or more Nigerians abroad to come back for change to happen?
2) Does someone have to suggest that a religious riot take place before it can happen?  The reason I ask is I happen to be one of those who mentioned that a civil war is not completely impossible given what we know of the discord between tribes and peoples in Nigeria to this day.

1) You mean sort of like AIDS existed abroad and now has a home in Nigeria? I am not exactly sure what mentioning all the UNCONTROLLABLES above have to do with anything. Can you please explain?
2) Isn’t it reasonable to assume that as long as humans exist, there will always be corruption, war, crime etc? I would think that by now we would understand and accept that we cannot completely do away with these but can measure success in how able we are in checking the problem?

Why bother asking her these questions?
Did you really think that she thought about the issues at stake before commenting pointlessly?

@Samparin

You are the second person Ive come to know through nairaland and honestly, I dont regret it.

Was really nice talking to a reasonable person like you.
Hope to see you soon.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by blacksta(m): 10:28am On May 14, 2009
@poster

Please dont give up  - giving up is easliy comparable to dying Do whatever you can do. High levels of risk in Nigeria equates to High Returns
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by oluwdashmi(f): 10:54am On May 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

A couple of questions for you please. . . .
1) There are about 140 million Nigerians (140,000,000) living in Nigeria full time. Does Nigeria really need the (10,000,000) or more Nigerians abroad to come back for change to happen?
2) Does someone have to suggest that a religious riot take place before it can happen? The reason I ask is I happen to be one of those who mentioned that a civil war is not completely impossible given what we know of the discord between tribes and peoples in Nigeria to this day.

1) You mean sort of like AIDS existed abroad and now has a home in Nigeria? I am not exactly sure what mentioning all the UNCONTROLLABLES above have to do with anything. Can you please explain?
2) Isn’t it reasonable to assume that as long as humans exist, there will always be corruption, war, crime etc? I would think that by now we would understand and accept that we cannot completely do away with these but can measure success in how able we are in checking the problem?

1. The answer to the first question can only be answered by the 10,000,000 or more Nigerians abroad. If they think the nation needs them for the change, they could do their part and if the other way, it all depends on the individual.
2.If you read my post you will see that I did not and support a religious or civil war.
2b.You are saying exactly what I mean but not for Nuzo to come on air cos NL is free to say 'I am about to give up in Nigeria.'

nuzo:

Why bother asking her these questions?
Did you really think that she thought about the issues at stake before commenting pointlessly?
WHY WHY is your answer again.
WHY should you come and inform us that you want to loose hope in Nigeria when it is so obvious you have lost the hope already? So many people have lost hope and more people will while many have refused to lost and will not lost hope, so you don't have to come and tell us that as if your absence is missed in the country.
I wonder if Nigeria herself has not lost hope in you
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 11:01am On May 15, 2009
oluwdashmi:

1. The answer to the first question can only be answered by the 10,000,000 or more Nigerians abroad. If they think the nation needs them for the change, they could do their part and if the other way, it all depends on the individual.
2.If you read my post you will see that I did not and support a religious or civil war.
2b.You are saying exactly what I mean but not for Nuzo to come on air cos NL is free to say 'I am about to give up in Nigeria.'
WHY WHY is your answer again.
WHY should you come and inform us that you want to loose hope in Nigeria when it is so obvious you have lost the hope already? So many people have lost hope and more people will while many have refused to lost and will not lost hope, so you don't have to come and tell us that as if your absence is missed in the country.
I wonder if Nigeria herself has not lost hope in you

Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by oluwdashmi(f): 11:06am On May 15, 2009
nuzo:

Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 11:12am On May 15, 2009
oluwdashmi:

I couldnt understand a thing you wrote hence my use of the smiley.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Akpangbon: 12:20pm On May 15, 2009
@Nuzo

You are still here talking?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 15, 2009
Akpangbon:

@Nuzo

You are still here talking?

Yes, until you provide us with the names of people that matter in nigeria. wink
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On May 15, 2009
oluwdashmi:

Your response does not answer my question at all, nor do I think you understand the question itself.

What Change? Do the Nigerians in Nigeria right now need Change or are they still harping on about wanting change but unwilling to actually ACT to see Change? Are those who actually live and are directly affected ready for Change? The Nigerians abroad are not directly affected and so it is understandable that they would not feel the need to fly down to Nigeria today to match for change if those down there are not ready for such. Do you understand?
If a man is not ready to see things Change in his life, what gives the stranger or the long absent relative of his, the right to come in to IMPOSE change on the man? Essentially, most Nigerians abroad already contribute to CHANGE where they live right now. Many of them vote, contribute to causes and also volunteer their time and effort to building the community in which they currently live in. So, they do not feel guilty about what is going on in Nigeria as they already feel they contribute their time and effort to society already.

However, majority are willing to fight/ work on behalf of those in Nigeria, If those in Nigeria are ready for change and will work alongside them to see this change happen. Do you advice Nigerians who do not reside full-time in Nigeria to run down to Nigeria to impose their WILL on the 140 million living in Nigeria right now? Is that what you are advocating these “messiahs” of yours do?

oluwdashmi:

I read other posts as well and not a single soul so far has supported civil war. Only that in your rush you concluded that those who speak of the possibility are in support of such.

Is it possible that a religious riot will break out before the end of this month in Nigeria? YES. Do I support it because I mention it’s possibility? No. Those are completely different things and if you honestly read the posts from an objective point, you would have easily figured that out.

oluwdashmi:

@Nuzo, also laid out his reasons for his comment. Why did you skip all that? The Title of the thread is even clear in the fight that he is thinking of it, not that he has already done it but you have taken it on yourself to lampoon him for speaking out exactly what most all of us have thought of at one time of another but have not necessarily felt to post in a forum, maybe out of fear of being put down by others or just that we did not feel it worth posting. You are here lampooning him when clearly millions who live in Nigeria today have already given up and resorted to crimes and accepting the status quo and you think you are justified in some way?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by meexteriox(m): 3:40pm On May 15, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Crying remains my solitude for my dear country Naija - for now!!!!!!!!!!
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by awwalugon(m): 4:28pm On May 15, 2009
i think the only thing left for nigeria now is to have a revolution! seriously, kill all those curropt bastards that claim to be our "leaders"
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by mosunade(f): 4:31pm On May 15, 2009
and also kill all those who cant help Nigeria but kept raining curses on her.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by sashbaby(f): 4:45pm On May 15, 2009
what about us living in naija.wetin you want make we do. the present govt am sorry to say will ruin nigeria
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On May 15, 2009
Here is a question for you @SashBaby and any Nigerians living in Nigeria now who would like to answer. I would appreciate your honesty.

Do you sincerely believe that Nigerians living in your area are ready for change?

Can you tell a Nigerian living abroad today that if he came home tomorrow, he would find many in your community willing to join him, to do the work needed, even if it requires cleaning out gutters, going out to bring in sand, planting trees, cleaning out sewers, in the name of Change?

Can you tell a Nigerian living abroad today that there are plenty of people who would gladly join in printing and distributing leaflets in the community, signing and gathering signatures for petitions, waking up most mornings to go obtain forms, fill out forms, submit or mail in forms?

Can you tell a Nigerian abroad that if he bought a ticket tommorow, came in to Nigeria in 2 weeks, that in less than 3 months He would have enough people to aid him in fighting corruption at NIPOST. Can you assure him that if he is ready to go all the way to ensure that Nipost adapts policies that protect their customer base from thefts and corruption that he will have Nigerians willing to fight alongside him?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by mosunade(f): 5:04pm On May 15, 2009
Another meaningless post, gosh!
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On May 15, 2009
mosun_ade:

Another meaningless post, gosh!

Is that short for "Darn, I have absoluntly no cue what this i tanking bout"?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by mosunade(f): 5:17pm On May 15, 2009
yeahhhh - it means, darn, how can someone write such gibberish,
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by blacksta(m): 5:27pm On May 15, 2009
mosun_ade:

yeahhhh - it means, darn, how can someone write such gibberish,

\please igonore this goat - this is i-laugh/akpnagbon/tombola/Mosun_ade

shitface.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On May 15, 2009
oh ok . . . . lol
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by samparian(m): 10:58am On May 16, 2009
@Nuzo, you’re the first person I’ve gotten to know through nairaland and I’m glad.

@kobojunkie
The questions you raised will not be answered by Mosun_ade, cos we all know the truth.
We cry out for change to happen but we all benefit from the corruption and mayhem directly or indirectly.
This will be a hard pill for most of us to swallow, ie admitting to benefit from the chaos in Nigeria. I’m not talking of the government officials, or politicians, or police men and soldiers. I’m talking of we the masses.
Here are some examples.
1 an okada man rides his bike without helmet/proper papers and believes he’ll dodge the police. When his luck runs out, it’s a matter of 20naira and business as usual.

2. True that Nepa or is it power holding officials rarely read meters these days, (no light) they just give out bills of estimated readings. Most guys accumulate large bills and go bribe the PHCN officials and they wipe the bills off the system.

3. Most items we trade on and use in Nigeria are contraband and we gladly bribe to customs to look the other way.

4. How many of us can afford to buy brand new cars or cars below 10years old? The cheapest of those cars is about 1.2 million naira. How many Nigerians can afford that? We all cruise in banned cars, smuggled across the border and issued fake shipping documents gladly provided by our corrupt officials and we blame the police for detaining us at the checkpoints.

5. when was the last time most of us paid our taxes?(some will argue what has the govt done with oil revenue)

6 .many parents still pay for special exam centers for their wards, and even bribe the kids way into the university. How do you expect campus cultism to stop?

7. In Nigeria, you’re only respected and appreciated if you have money. No one cares how many certificates you have bagged. They’re only interested in how many houses you’ve built and what kind of SUV you came back to naija with. (Nuzo take note) grin

8. When most guys abroad call and say they want to return to Nigeria, they are asked why they want to return.

I just spoke to a friend in Nigeria on the phone and when I told him I’ll be returning finally to naija, he screamed and asked me why. He said he’s looking for a way to leave that things are bleeped up, that I should make sure I’m coming back with MILLIONS or I’ll find things difficult. I just laughed[b][/b]
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by samparian(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2009
i'm begining to think that Obj has a huge share in Togo and benin republic sea ports, or why would he issue banns on everything he knows that will still find their way into Nigeria.
How many of his kinsmen can afford brand new cars?
Anycar, below 2000 is contraband in Nigeria right now. cars of 1996 models are even above a million naira i think, depending on the model and type.
we're in global reccession and Benin republic and togo are raking in raw cash from Nigerian imports.
My brother inlaw ordered some goods that were shipped in February this year directly to Lagos wharf, till now the container has not been cleared. A friend of mine shipped his own container the same month and sent his to Lome port. His goods are currently in nigerian markets now. they both used the same shipping line. Imagine.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Nobody: 11:32am On May 16, 2009
samparian:

@Nuzo, you’re the first person I’ve gotten to know through nairaland and I’m glad.

@kobojunkie
The questions you raised will not be answered by Mosun_ade, cos we all know the truth.
We cry out for change to happen but we all benefit from the corruption and mayhem directly or indirectly.
This will be a hard pill for most of us to swallow, ie admitting to benefit from the chaos in Nigeria. I’m not talking of the government officials, or politicians, or police men and soldiers. I’m talking of we the masses.
Here are some examples.
1 an okada man rides his bike without helmet/proper papers and believes he’ll dodge the police. When his luck runs out, it’s a matter of 20naira and business as usual.

2. True that Nepa or is it power holding officials rarely read meters these days, (no light) they just give out bills of estimated readings. Most guys accumulate large bills and go bribe the  PHCN officials and they wipe the bills off the system.

3. Most items we trade on and use in Nigeria are contraband and we gladly bribe to customs to look the other way.

4. How many of us can afford to buy brand new cars or cars below 10years old? The cheapest of those cars is about 1.2 million naira. How many Nigerians can afford that? We all cruise in banned cars, smuggled across the border and issued fake shipping documents gladly provided by our corrupt officials and we blame the police for detaining us at the checkpoints.

5. when was the last time most of us paid our taxes?(some will argue what has the govt done with oil revenue)

6 .many parents still pay for special exam centers for their wards, and even bribe the kids way into the university. How do you expect campus cultism to stop?

7. In Nigeria, you’re only respected and appreciated if you have money. No one cares how many certificates you have bagged. They’re only interested in how many houses you’ve  built and what kind of SUV you came back to naija with. (Nuzo take note) grin

8. When most guys abroad call and say they want to return to Nigeria, they are asked why they want to return.

I just spoke to a friend in Nigeria on the phone and when I told him I’ll be returning finally to naija, he screamed and asked me why. He said he’s looking for a way to leave that things are bleeped up, that I should make sure I’m coming back with MILLIONS or I’ll find things difficult. I just laughed

Noted sir grin(though, I already know this).
But just like I told you, I will never give up my principles just to impress greedy and money worshiping nigerians. Am only concerned that they will write off my proposal to fight corruption from all angles cos I no get phantom. tongue
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by samparian(m): 11:45am On May 16, 2009
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On May 16, 2009
@Samparian, the points you have outlined are valid ones and I agree that these problems exist. I was however, hoping one of these Nigerians with the NIN vs NID issue would step up and honestly answer the questions asked. I really do not understand why some of these people have a hard time understanding that some people cannot just jump into situations such as the one we have at home without ensuring they have something to work with. I don't understand this need to demand everyone do things as one has chosen to, even when it is clear that your way has yet to work.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by sashbaby(f): 11:31am On May 17, 2009
@kobojunkie i dont really understand why you asked me those questions.i hope you read and understand my post. am not attacking nuzo am only collaborating what he said.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 12:47pm On May 17, 2009
@SashBaby, I did not mean that you are one of the "NIN vs NID" Nigerians out there. Just that it would be great is they also could give us some honest answers to the questions asked. I would also like to get the view of Nigerians who live in Nigeria and understand the magnitude of the problem that exists within their own community, that is why I asked that you help us with answers so we can compare what you and other neutral Nigerians have to say with what those stuck on "NIN vs NID" and claim to live in NIgeria or abroad have to say.
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by sashbaby(f): 1:06pm On May 17, 2009
its getting tougher everyday. where there are no jobs and when you get one your employers threaten to fire you saying they can employ people who could do the job for less pay. where electricity is shared on a twelve hours basis if you are lucky. where bus drivers and their conductors take advantage of increasing bus fare without it coming down after the fuel crisis have been arrested. where a president can not give intelligent answers to the looming political crisis in ekiti state. where banks engage in forex deals causing the naira to plunge to the dollar. you can imagine a bank official buying dollar and pounds in the guise of traveling at the official rate of 150-151 naira and selling it to the abokis for 175naira and then you buy from those abokis for 182naira. strange things are indeed happening i can tell you. nigerians are like zombies in their country
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On May 18, 2009
thanks @Sashbaby. Do you think Nigerians in your community are ready though to ACT in order to see things change?
Re: I May Give Up On Nigeria Soon by sashbaby(f): 4:33pm On May 18, 2009
yes they are

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Governor Flagbearer (Opinion) / 2023 Presidency: Why Atiku, Wike Should Support South-East — Nwodo / The 7 Nigerian States With The Worst Debt Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.