Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,832 members, 7,876,159 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:19 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! (65542 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by presido1: 11:29am On Aug 27, 2009
HNIC:

As per Eduardo's dive.
I will keep repeating it.
The game is moving too fast.

Vidoe Technolgy/replays are becoming inevitable
Hahahahaha you will always remain my fav Gayner going by the way you put your logik across.
When its in fav of arsenal the game become too fast and ref become too slow but when its in fav of man united its diff story.
Dude i like your logik ma abasi.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2009
embarassed
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by presido1: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2009
mukina2:

embarassed
My trouble maker y embarassed
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 11:51am On Aug 27, 2009
presido1:

Hahahahaha you will always remain my fav Gayner going by the way you put your logik across.
When its in fav of arsenal the game become too fast and ref become too slow but when its in fav of man united its diff story.
Dude i like your logik ma abasi.
Nope.
You haven't been reading my post.
I have always advocated for Video technology no matter which team is playing
If there was vid tech yesterday:
~Eduardo would have bagged a yellow card for going down too easily~
~There would have been no penalty awarded~
~Celtic would have still been beaten~
~We would have been spared all these rants from second rate footballers like Donati and Loovens
~ All the internet bloggers would not have only concentrated on Ed's penalty and leave out the fact that we dominated Celtic both home and away~

I am for 'clean' football.
So many of these debates won't be necessary if there was vid replay like it's done in RUGBY
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola2(m): 12:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
U haven't tried hard enough till u've cheated. One reason I love Messi, he doesn't dive just for the hell of it. . .but when shit hits the fan, he dives, flies, uses the hand of God, he does it all, he wants to win at all costs. ALves is a different matter. . .the guy dives if we are 6 goals up. Regardless, I love them on my team.  .dive or no dive, they do it to get us ahead which is where i want to be, by hook or by crook.

If u ever play monopoly with me make sure u strip search me b4 the game starts cause i probably have G's stashed somewhere. . . losing ain't in my vocab!  grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2009
;d
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Gooner2(m): 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2009
[size=14pt][center]THE TALE OF A DIVING CROZILLIAN[/center][/size]

“From outside I must say it looked a penalty but having seen it again on television, it doesn’t look to be a penalty. I believe that it was not a penalty but having seen it again, I’m not sure that the ‘keeper didn’t touch him with his right knee. I am a bit cautious because with what happened to Eduardo, you know. He might have jumped out of the way, so you have to speak to him. I don’t think he would have complained if the penalty was not given but did he want to get out of the way of the ‘keeper? I have to ask him. I haven’t spoken to him yet. That doesn’t mean I do not want a penalty that is not a penalty, but I do not go as far to say Eduardo dived. He went down, for what reason I do not know. But I do not think he would have complained if the penalty was not given.”

Those were the very words of Arsene Wenger when speaking to the press response to an apparent blatant dive by Eduardo in last night’s 3-1 win over Celtic.

I’ve seen worse dives than that from Cristiano Ronaldo and I don’t intend to sit on the fence with this one. At first look it looked like a penalty and it is only after successive replays that it becomes clear that it is not a penalty. Once the passing move was strung, I knew there was a penalty in it, and credit must go to Artur Boruc who although was done in by the referee’s decision pulled out of the challenge to leave us in this controversial situation. At half time while remonstrating with the referee, I noticed that the Spanish official kept pointing to his knees. Who knows? Maybe he saw something we didn’t see…nah!

We’ve been victims of such harsh justice in the past so you can understand the frustration of the Celtic players. What’s annoying is the fact that Celtic had tried to kick us off the pitch in the first leg. How come nobody is talking about that now? Dutch defender Glen Loovens displayed his blatant ignorance by claiming Eduardo couldn’t speak English. After 2 years at Arsenal? Come on! Come up with something original! He said;

“I don’t think he even speaks English so there was no point talking to him. It is very disappointing but that is football. It’s sad it happened to us. I don’t think it is really fair. But it helped his team take the lead. There is a referee and a linesman to see those kind of things.”

More sour grapes though as SFA Chief Gordon Smith has called for Eduardo to be banned after the incident. He said

“Last night Eduardo showed disrespect to the game by his actions. We have shown courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation. I’d urge Uefa to do so.”

I expect there will be more talk on this in the days to come but this shouldn’t take our focus away from the fact that Arsenal was the better team over both legs even though Celtic’s late consolation by Donati was arguably the best goal in the tie which ended 5-1 on aggregate. This brings to mind another niggling issue I have with our defence occasionally switching of in games that are already won robbing us of a clean sheet by conceding unnecessary goals.

The outstanding player on the night in my opinion was Emmanuel Eboue. I must admit that he is not quite the same player that was booed of the pitch against Wigan last season. His work rate has improved and he seems to have lost all the theatrics that we have grown accustomed to seeing over the last few years. Rather he has focused more of his energy into getting back into the team and producing the scintillating performances that initially endeared him to the hearts of the fans.

Speaking on this Wenger said;

“Eboue is a guy who needs to be loved; there was a turning point after he was sent off last year at Tottenham where for a while it was very uncertain for him. It was a difficult season. But he has not talked, he has worked and he has talent. I believe he has matured as well, because what has happened to him has made him stronger.”

Celtic manager Tony Mowbray was gracious in defeat and had this to say about the Arsenal performance;

“I would suggest there are only four teams in the English Premier League of the quality of Arsenal. I do not think the gulf between our football club and the rest of the Premier League would be there – maybe we will get the chance to show that in the Europa League. I genuinely believe Arsenal are a team who can win this competition, but at the moment Celtic are not in a position to compete with the English sides who make the semi-finals of this tournament year in and year out. You have to take the positives out of the way we played in these two matches.”

The draws of the group stages take place later this evening and it would be interesting to see who our opponents will be. Whilst we will inevitably avoid English opposition in this stage of the draw, Arsenal will definitely be up against some of the greats of European football. With Arsenal in Pot A, I’d be excited to see how we perform if our group ends up like this. ARSENAL, INTER MILAN, DINAMO KIEV AND WOLFSBURG. This is a worst-case scenario of the toughest possible draw we could face. Should we come out unscathed, you’d expect us to be tipped as one of the hot favourites to win the Champions League.

Elsewhere, Heri Lansbury was a 64th minute substitute for Watford as they lost 2-1 to Leeds after extra time in the Carling Cup.

Tomorrow, we’ll look ahead at Saturday’s crucial clash with Champions Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Till then…Victoria Concordia Crescit.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by eldee(m): 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2009
@Gooner
Damn!!! That dive was so crap, even Wenger saw it cheesy cheesy

I love this new sibling rivalry in our team

Eboue Vs Diaby Vs Gallas(Comeback Kings Awards)
Ramsey Vs Wilshere (We won't wait till Fab4 goes Award)
Vermalen Vs Arshavin (Best new buy-ish Award)
Eduardo VS Bendtner (Who gets to pair with RVP wen we finally go back to 4-3-3 Award) cheesy cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2009
I like dudu seriously i do grin

[flash=560,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Z5A9kaexG9c[/flash]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by slimshay(m): 1:22pm On Aug 27, 2009
its the hypocrisy of the media that wont make me say nothing negative abt the dudu dive. it was a dive but the way they want to go to town abt it it, thats their frigging cup of tea. they d**k ride the worst offenders on and off and want to bury eduardo? abegi!! gerrard should collect an award in this stuff, he is the only player i know to have be felled by an almost stationary player, n that happened in the groud stage of last champs league, cant recall against which team now. drogba, c ron aka twinkie toes. quick to label joey barton thug and convict but will acquit gerrad even if he is the only person to actually throw a punch ina fight, jeez!!!! na them know sha, dere's no way celtic wooulda won that match, for fucksakes we had more goals than they had shots on target!

eldee:

@Gooner

I love this new sibling rivalry in our team

Eboue Vs Diaby Vs Gallas(Comeback Kings Awards)
Ramsey Vs Wilshere (We won't wait till Fab4 goes Award)
Vermalen Vs Arshavin (Best new buy-ish Award)
Eduardo VS Bendtner (Who gets to pair with RVP wen we finally go back to 4-3-3 Award) cheesy cheesy

my winners: eboue, wilshere only because ramsey got there  before him and is being upstaged, ARSene, ARShavin, ARSenal: what more can i say?, dudu all the way!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Vieira(m): 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2009
I hate the fact that Eduardo dived and I hope Wenger has a private word with him about it.

But I must also say I am flabbergasted by the backlash against this incident, why is it so venomous this time around?

Is it because it is Arsenal?

The idiot from SFA has forgotten what Larsen did in his career or even that McDonald bloke currently playing for Celtic?

I hate diving and want it stamped out but all this talk about banning Eddie for 2 games smacks of bad belle to me.

I have never heard this said when Gerrard, Owen and co do it? Then it is called clever play.

Bunch of idiots.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mayordee(m): 1:29pm On Aug 27, 2009
smiley
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2009
every player has his bad day from the greats to the not so greats, that was his one night of madness i guess undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by kaypumpin2(m): 1:56pm On Aug 27, 2009
mukina2:

every player has his bad day from the greats to the not so greats, that was his one night of madness i guess undecided

Night of madness?Until the Crozillian gives the rationale behind the "falling down",i wouldnt quarter him like the rest of the world.
He fell,yeah.Did he ask for the penalty?NO tongue grin
I have seen more dubious penalty given to various players in my years as i a footall fan.Gerrard's case against Athletico readily comes to mind.
Eduardo should be banned,but i didn't read the journos literarily sending Taylor to Golgotha for that tackle on him that almost render the dude useless.
Not making a case for diving,but in the grand scheme of yesternite's event,Eddy copping a penalty is nearly inconsequential.2 shots at goal throughout the 180 mins by Celtic shocked.Even Mowbray knows to raise his hands up in submission.

And i love his wry smile after he was awarded the penalty grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 2:00pm On Aug 27, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Night of madness?Until the Crozillian gives the rationale behind the "falling down",i wouldnt quarter him like the rest of the world.
I have seen more dubious penalty given to various players in my years as i a footall fan.Gerrard's case against Athletico readily comes to mind.
Eduardo should be banned,but i didn't read the journos literarily sending Taylor to Golgotha for that tackle on him that almost render the dude useless.
Not making a case for diving,but in the grand scheme of yesternite's event,Eddy copping a penalty is nearly inconsequential.2 shots at goal throughout the 180 mins by Celtic shocked.Even Mowbray knows to raise his hands up in submission.

good grin he didnt ask the ref to blow it now did he? grin cheesy

he tripped and fell on the ball lipsrsealed erm actually an invisible hand brought him down, watch the vid with multiple eyes you'll see the extra hand grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2009
kay_pumpin:

but i didn't read the journos literarily sending Taylor to Golgotha for that tackle on him that almost render the dude useless.
naah. . . . to them it was getting 'Stuck in' early in the game.
Stupid people!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Gooner2(m): 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2009
eldee:

@Gooner

grin

kay_pumpin:

grin

~Gooner~:

I’ve seen worse dives than that from Cristiano Ronaldo and I don’t intend to sit on the fence with this one. At first look it looked like a penalty and it is only after successive replays that it becomes clear that it is not a penalty. Once the passing move was strung, I knew there was a penalty in it, and credit must go to Artur Boruc who although was done in by the referee’s decision pulled out of the challenge to leave us in this controversial situation. At half time while remonstrating with the referee, I noticed that the Spanish official kept pointing to his knees. Who knows? Maybe he saw something we didn’t see…nah!

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Ibime(m): 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2009
kay_pumpin:

HNIC:

naah. . . . to them it was getting 'Stuck in' early in the game.

Martin Taylor cannot be blamed for the favela dwellers' mothers' failure to feed him with calcified milk in his development stages.

The tackle which broke his leg had no velocity or malice in it. It was a tackle that physicists refer to as "finding the sweet spot". The variables of physical law and mathematical probability combined so superbly on that fateful day to ensure that the shear stress applied to Eduardos leg snapped that motherphocker to pieces. One would have to take a PHD in statical moments to understand how such a benign tackle could break the resistance of Eduardos tibia.

For this achievement, Martin Taylor has been shortlisted for the Nobel prize for his contribution to physics research. His main rival for the prize is John Arne Riise who proved that with the right force, exerted at the right moment, you can break an opponents leg simply by shooting the ball at him; as he did to Alan Smith.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by allboyz(m): 2:38pm On Aug 27, 2009
dudu dudu - what a striker - the best finisher in EPL. . . grin grin grin

dive ko, drive ni

ask players like DD,CR7 and you know wit dive is all-abt tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by eldee(m): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2009
You guys have to see where they're coming from
Ronaldo and Owen dive everyday, they make a living off diving

But Dudu shocked everyone with this one . . . he was England's compassion image for a whole year after his injury
He was even portrayed as the perfect gentleman after he told the press he'd forgiven Taylor

If anyone else on that pitch did it, it woulda been okay.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by tboy1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 27, 2009
To be honest, if this is what it takes to win a few cups - then so be it . . . we've been on the receivin side for so long. We need all the luck we can get

P.S:
I can imagine the rubbish those 3 MOTD wankers would have said if this was a premiership game
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola2(m): 3:30pm On Aug 27, 2009
Eduardo did nothing wrong!!  If u want to win a trophy get used to your players diving. thierry Henry sef dey dive, why eduardo no go dive?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mystikal(m): 3:36pm On Aug 27, 2009
I hate divers, and I even hate the fact it had 2 be Dudu, buh I would have been so okay with it if the diving was performed @ Old Trafford this Saturday.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2009
LOl Mystical grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2009
tboy1:

P.S: I can imagine the rubbish those 3 MOTD wankers would have said if this was a premiership game
Shearer even made sense last week.
But the other 2 obtuse fellows??
Their case is a lost one! smiley
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by tboy1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2009
HNIC:

Shearer even made sense last week.
But the other 2 obtuse fellows??
Their case is a lost one! smiley
Shearer had to say something because those two wankers refused to say anything, they threw a question at him and he was forced to say something positive . . . its funny because anytime we win they focus more on the other teams mistakes than givin us credit . . . Bloody wankers!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mystikal(m): 4:12pm On Aug 27, 2009
&that Alan Hansen should reduce his make up He's got so much make up on he looks like a gloomy tranny.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by ThinkRait: 4:17pm On Aug 27, 2009
Ibime:

Martin Taylor cannot be blamed for the favela dwellers' mothers' failure to feed him with calcified milk in his development stages.

The tackle which broke his leg had no velocity or malice in it. It was a tackle that physicists refer to as "finding the sweet spot". The variables of physical law and mathematical probability combined so superbly on that fateful day to ensure that the shear stress applied to Eduardos leg snapped that motherphocker to pieces. One would have to take a PHD in statical moments to understand how such a benign tackle could break the resistance of Eduardos tibia.

For this achievement, Martin Taylor has been shortlisted for the Nobel prize for his contribution to physics research. His main rival for the prize is John Arne Riise who proved that with the right force, exerted at the right moment, you can break an opponents leg simply by shooting the ball at him; as he did to Alan Smith.

IBIME, As in politics, so in sports.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by yousouph(m): 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2009
I will like to see Madrid or Inter in our UCL group. If not for seeding, dont mind Bayern but we can still meet in knock out stages. Oldtraford here we come. Eduardo dive to be dejavu.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by tboy1(m): 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2009
mystikal:

&that Alan Hansen should reduce his make up  He's got so much make up on he looks like a gloomy tranny.
grin grin grin grin
I wish Liverpool played on sat . . . would have loved to ere his excuse
His facial expression when villa won the match on Monday - Priceless  cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by sirwebs(m): 4:35pm On Aug 27, 2009
Honestly, i don't think it was a penalty, neither do i think it was a dive.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2009
Easy draw for us would be:
Arsenal
AZAlkmaar/Rangers
Olympiacos/Besiktas
Debrecini grin

Hard draw would be:
Arsenal
Real
Stutgart/Florentina
Wolfsburg

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (100)

Manchester United Fan Thread / Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 / Manchester City Vs Manchester United (6 - 3) On 2nd October 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.