Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,726 members, 7,962,357 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 09:21 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (800) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4533498 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) (803) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 1:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust:

no army has monopoly of killing the enemy without being killed too. SANDF and seleka both killed each other before south african ran away finally grin

130 nigerian palmaria and bofors haubit artillery all have about the same 30km range of south african G7 artillery.

stop day dreaming grin

BOFORS HAUBIT nigerian army artillery
Why didn't Seleka arrested or kill all South Africans parabats? Worth noting no Recce was killed in CAR. What does your army use to select targets? Cause satellites images will take time before they can reach your commander in the field. Giving commanders in Pretoria,to prepare something nasty for your boys.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 1:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust: now @all south africans, let this be the last time i will have to repeat the posts below, i hate to insult people , so dont give me a good reason to start insutling again if ypou bring up old settled arguments.

MORE FROM JUNE 2013......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSosDM8yG4

Gripen Jet, Rooivalk Helicopter Vs Roland SAM, Type 90 AA GUN

@all south africans, as many as you are ....i reply you all in one combines posts

you all posted very poor and internet based battle field tactics, no wonder seleka rebels defeated south african army

all you 3 south africans (including 2 soldiers) against me 1 nigerian and you still cannot win, which poor military academy did you go to ?

Roland is not on open display like new shoes in trade fair exhibition for enemy aircraft to come and hit.

Roland speed 2,000km/hr, Mokopa speed 1,900km/hr, Paveway Bomb 35km/hr,Rooivalk helicopter speed 278km/hr...and you forgot i said earlier that artilleries never stand alone to fight....Type 90 air defense gun has double cannon with anti-aircraft ammunition speed of muzzle velocity shell speed 4,200km/hr that is why it is built to shoot down incoming enemy missiles firing 1,100 shells per minute as a close-in-defensive weapon.

no Gripen or Rooivalk can jam electro-optical target guidance of both Roland and Type 90, technically optical firing guidance CANNOT be jamed electronically, thats why manufactures installed it as option if radar needs to shut down.
did you write and pass military exams or impersonator wrote it for you ?

radar will be switched of if aircraft threat is picked up by radar before a missile gets close. Roland radar detects incoming attack from 18km away.

you assume the only radar on ground is directly on the air defence vehicle, wrong, other radars independent are on the same army battalion formation for other purposes and some for deliberate decoy, older Bofors anti-aircraft guns in an air defence battalion formation will confuse any aircraft or helicopter far away 10km trying to act like a spirit or oracle and determine which radar is directly on Roland or Type 90.

no pilot will ever know what radar he is picking up from 10km away or 30,000 ft high in the middle of many targets on ground, and aircraft radar or targeting pods does not travel bending around corners, like a snake. radars are airwaves and waves travel in straight line, simple physics law.

dont add to a weapon more than its real technology can do in reality, modern weapon does not mean supernatural spiritual weapon.

south africa has no strategic air power like NATO , america, russia, china to carry out SEAD against nigeria's level of air defence and technological advancement, we are not Togo republic. 8 Grippen jets cannot do that level of SEAD.

Roland is for hitting low flying aircraft, but that low flying height is far up to 26,000 feet in the sky !

Roland shoots 8 missiles in less than 3 minutes, and reloads another 8 missiles in seconds.
Type 90 has too much ammunition resrves, its also reloaded rapidly in 7 seconds and many shells per catridge.

Grippen and Rooivalk can only carry few bombs and missiles at a time, and south africa has only 50 Paveway bombs and it will all be shot down plus any other weapons that comes also.

Paveway, Umbani, Mokopa are not among low calibre size high speed rate RCS minutions that wikipedia talks about. google the meaning of RCS, those type are usually very small and so tiny to hit.

all the south african bombs and missiles will be shot down by Roland in some seconds.

Type 90 also gives support to Roland, artillery never works alone, they work is a spider web of support.

the Argentina's Roland operator in Falkland war did a normal air defense tactical job by firing 8 missiles against 3 targets of British Royal air force, that is the battlefield standard, air defence fires extra missiles against incoming targets to ensure it shoots down everything of the enemy.

the Roland successfully h.it and d.estroyed all the enemy targets all at the same time, excellent Roland performance and record of its respected war history.

if you are infantry soldier in reaal war zone, and one enemy soldier faces you from a distance and he fires 2 bullets at you, will you fire only 1 bullet back at him because he is only 1 single man ? did you pass military academy exams or someone helped you to write your papers by fraudulent impersonation ?

Spain is NATO power still using Roland SAM today year 2013 just like Nigeria. Spain has money for weapons, not broke when it comes to military weapons buying. Spain paid about $10 Billion recently for 73 latest Eurofighter Typhoon far superior to Gripen. Spain still uses Roland SAM because it is still effective

Roland shot down both fast and slow aircraft, Harrier jet flies max speed 1,000km/hr, Tornado jet flies max speed 2,400km/hr and Roland has shot down all of them in combat, and those were British Royal air force jets pilots shat down, not even south african Gripen jets pilots that dont have enough flying hours to train annually and Rooivalk pilot that flew his helicopter blind like a bat into street electricity wires in broad daylight....south african pilots are far below the quality of British pilots Roland shot down.

Rolands wins, Gripen, Rooivalk, Paveway, Umbani, Mokopa all lose. i have posted many long details on this topic, i leave the rest to neutral public to judge us.

end of discussion

=========================================

you failed physics in school or in air force academy. 9.8m/s is 35km/hr speed, and paveway guided bomb is that slow. umbani is also slow, just glides more than paveway, you told a big lie about its high speed...show me source that says umbani bomb has high speed, show us source now or you will be called a F00L forever

....Roland missile high speed is 2,000km/hr, south african bombs will all be shot down from far away. nigerian Roland air defence wins the battle.

i promised i will rubbish those south african air force over-rated Gripen jets and Umbani/Paveway guided bombs today...and i am doing that now. any south african wants to make a F00L of himself anout Roland vs Gripen ? try it, nigerians are ready to reduce the Gripen to a useless toy today

=========================================================================================================

you are NOT a real fighter pilot. you are admin staff at air force office drinking coffee, no combat skills

stop quoting 4th generation, and a system in place to hit a Roland, what system ? all the systems in Gripen is known on internet data specs, so what system ? i defeated it, radar, then what syatem ? paveway and umbani guided bombs technical data and systems are available on internet, i defeated it, so what systems are you talking about here ? did you personally build a new Gripen or Umbani ?

i said american air force most modern jets gets shot down till today and you are boasting of south africa ?

Roland combat history says it is a perfect bomb k.iller, it k.ills all bombs from the air, so all your long range high altitude bombs are useless before Roland SAM and the umbani bomb is not a missile so it is very slow, and Roland is faster many times more to shoot down the bombs many kilometers before you reach Roland

South Africa has NO long range stand -off air to surface missile to hit a nigerian Roland SAM. go back to air force training school and learn the frustrating tactics of enemy air defence, stop doing copy and paste from wikipedia data of range and speed you cannot interprete in practical battle field engagement

you are looking for Roland from 100km away and 50,000 ft above, you fail again as usual the picture below is like a Roland you can never see from long distance.

tell me another story.

In the African bush armoured vehicles' mobility is limited. Your Rolands will be destroyed by artillery fire. Targets will be selected by the Ratels and the highly trained Recces. Regarding your lack of conventional warfare in the bush,it will be difficult for your army to locate Recces
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 1:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
rka1: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304795804579100944028167308.html

For African Generals, Drones Are The Latest Thing
Aircraft Are Being Used to Track Militants, Poachers and Drug Traffickers.
Article Comments more in AFRICA | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ ».
smaller Larger facebooktwitterlinked ininShare.0EmailPrintSave ↓ More .
smaller Larger
By DREW HINSHAW Taking a cue from the U.S., more African governments are spying from the skies.

From Kenya to Nigeria, African air forces are acquiring surveillance drones—often made in the U.S.—to track militants, poachers and drug traffickers moving across vast and often inhospitable terrain.

The drive to expand Africa's air surveillance comes as the U.S. seeks to outsource some of its work fighting terrorism in the world's most remote places.

"Controlling the borders, the arms trafficking," said Col. James Birungi of Uganda, in explaining how drones can meet his country's security challenges. "We have seen that this equipment can do all that for us.

After a flurry of terrorist attacks across Africa this week, governments on the continent are looking for a quick fix. Shooting sprees in Kenya and Nigeria each left scores of people dead, illustrating why governments that already struggle to give their citizens tap water or electricity might spend millions of dollars on 21st century surveillance planes.

In recent years, [b]Nigeria and Ethiopia [/b]have purchased small fleets of drones to track militants and pirates, according to air force officials in Nigeria and the U.S. Last year, the U.S. agreed to give eight small drones to Kenya to monitor al Qaeda-backed rebels there, according to Pentagon documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. Meanwhile, two U.S. Air Force officials said Botswana has approached them requesting drones to track their endangered population of elephants.

For the past few years, the U.S. Air Force has dispatched about a hundred small groups of advisers annually to Africa, said these U.S. Air Force officials, who weren't authorized to be identified by name. Those U.S. Air Force advisers say they are training mechanics, pilots, technicians, and intelligence analysts in roughly 20 African countries.

At a higher level, U.S. Air Force generals say they're talking regularly with defense leaders in Africa—and increasingly are pushing surveillance aircraft as a cost-efficient way to quash the many insurgencies cropping up across the continent.

Two of those officers, U.S. Air Force Gen. Frank Gorenc and Lt. Gen. Craig Franklin, spoke about the initiative in broad terms, describing it as an effort to farm out some of America's anti-terrorism work.

For the U.S., African assistance, however minimal, could help ease pressure on America's own fleet of drones. The U.S. Air Force keeps tabs on Africa, a continent three times the size of the U.S., with only two drone bases. They are 2,500 miles apart, in Niger in West Africa and in Djibouti in the east.

"This continent has too often been land-centric; we solve our problems with land forces," said Gen. Franklin. But he said he'd seen a change: "From the smallest countries, you have air chiefs that…are thinking about: 'OK, with this amount of resources, what can we do?'"

U.S. military assistance to African countries comes as many of them are growing richer and the cost of surveillance equipment is sharply falling. It's an auspicious confluence of trends for defense contractors in the U.S. and elsewhere that are seeking a toehold on the continent.

Last month, the U.S. Air Force created a private website for African defense chiefs—a social network where they could share product reviews, and go in on bulk purchases together.

Earlier this year, Ghana purchased a DA42 surveillance plane, manufactured by Austria's Diamond Aircraft Industries. Defense industry analysts estimated the price at roughly $10 million. U.S. and Ghanaian officials say the country flies the aircraft over the ocean, inspecting ships plying pirate-infested waters. The plane maker's chief executive, Christian Dries, says he's sold similar surveillance planes to Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, and South Africa.

"We have steady orders," he said. "Definitely, this market is growing."

A half dozen other countries—among them Senegal, Uganda and Mauritania—are looking to purchase similar aircraft, say U.S. officials. "We have a real need for these things," said Senegal's General Ousmane Kane. Asked what surveillance assets his air force currently possessed, he pointed to his face and said "above all, what we have are our eyes."

For defense contractors, African air budgets represent a still-small but fast-growing market. Having failed to maintain their previous air fleets, many African governments are paying vendors this time around to toss in contracts for maintenance, technical support and training, said retired Air Force Col. Cedric Leighton, now a defense consultant with experience working in Africa.

"It's a great business for these folks," he said. "There is a lot of gold in those hills."

But Africa's entry into drone surveillance also has raised legal and human rights questions. The laws in most African countries provide citizens with scant legal protection in the types of images the government can capture, how they can be used and who can have access to them.

"We're in kind of a legal limbo," said Research Director Emmanuel Kwesi Aning at the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre in Accra, Ghana. "Nobody is discussing it. It shows the backwardness and the naivety of our partners."

In countries like Nigeria, there are human rights concerns, too. The lead army unit there, called the Joint Task Force, is accused of burning down entire villages, killing civilians, and torturing prisoners to death. Nigerian generals deny those reports, which they say are propaganda spread by terrorists to discredit their army. Still, U.S. human rights law bans the U.S. from working with the Nigerian unit. And yet the U.S. Air Force legally can and does advise the Nigerian air force, whose plane-gathered intelligence winds up in the hands of JTF troops.

"We regularly stress to our partners in Africa the importance of respecting human rights," said an emailed statement from the U.S. State Department on that assistance.

On a recent afternoon, five African air force commanders returned from a U.S.-sponsored tour of Ghana's recently-purchased surveillance plane. The U.S.'s Gen. Franklin, who'd accompanied the tour, said his resources to monitor militants across the continent are stretched thin.

"Oh man, I'll tell you, I am so excited," said Gen. Franklin. "If they take care of the problem themselves, we don't have to worry about it."

Write to Drew Hinshaw at drew.hinshaw@dowjones.com

A version of this article appeared September 28, 2013, on page A8 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Africa's Generals Turning to Drones.
South Africa started using drones during the bush war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 1:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Holes dug in your shallow skull? Child drooling!
Should I get you images of your officers inspecting holes used by militants?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

You don't have a brain.
Superior to yours. Again Don't post. If it is not about military.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 2:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Should I get you images of your officers inspecting holes used by militants?

You don't need my permission to prove yourself! Silly! Show what you have to prove!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 2:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Superior to yours. Again Don't post. If it is not about military.

Your intelligence quotient is zero! Hopefully your military fat bellies will be called up to your Parliament to state why intelligentsia could not protect your national keypoints from whatever could possibly happen now or in the near future! cool cool You cannot understand military talk ... Neither can you determine what is not! See yeye new recruit!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 3:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust:

Gripen jet has no combat history

Valour frigate has no combat history

Rooivalk helicopter has no combat history

Umkhonto missile has no combat history

the few tests for Umkhonto missile was against drones/UAV, not a sea skimming 6 feet above water anti-ship missile like Otomat.

DENEL is avoiding testing Umkhonto against a sea skimming 6 feet on water level missile...because south african umkhonto missile will fail that test grin

Otomat missile has many combat tests in both america and europe against a big ship and against all american navy anti-missile defences and Otomat of nigeria passed all these tests with 100% victory

i just posted all these 2 weeks ago, why should i reapeat it ? go ask @andrewza and @saengine if they will be honest at least for once ant tell the truth openly.

you are delaying my NAF vs SAN air to deep ocean war simulation post for today by dragging me back to posts i had spent my time writing in the past.

you soweto guys are a bunch of fools grin

What you have wrote there above is a crap from someone who is totally clueless about the technology of missiles. What do you know about missile Lock-on mechanism and infrared homing. Those are the latest technology incorporated into missiles to optimise their tracking capabilities. It doesn't matter how low a skimming missile will go because the Umkhonto missile would have already been locked on to a target. Denel does not avoid anything about sea skimming nonsense. They have tested Umbani against a highly manuevrable Skua which is by far manupulative than otomat. A skua can cruise to many angle and even sea skim to the level that you want.

http://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/sa-missile-concludes-trials-with-a-bang-2005-11-11
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 4:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
Congratulations to South African Arms company, Gripens for winning the contract of fitting an integrated electronic warfare and self-protection system on HAL Indian Airforce advanced helicopters.

http://www.janes.com/article/27385/saab-grintek-defence-wins-alh-self-protection-contract
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by rka1: 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2013
http://allafrica.com/stories/201309290176.html

See emboldened section.

Nigeria: FG Redeploys Troops From Mali in North East
By Bayo Oladeji and Joshua Dada, 28 September 2013

The federal government through the Nigerian Army has set December this year as the deadline for ending the menace of Boko Haram insurgents in the north-east zone.

To meet the target, the government has sent more fighter jets to the zone to hunt for members of the Boko Haram sect, who have scaled up their attacks especially on rural communities in Borno State in the last one month.

The government has also deployed troops withdrawn from Mali to man flashpoints in the three states.

[b]Impeccable sources said the plan of the military is to complete the "operation wipe out Boko Haram" by December this year.

The new offensive, according to military sources, "is the final onslaught against the Boko Haram terrorists in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states. Soldiers will comb everywhere for the remaining members of the sect. This mandate is from the Army Headquarters."

Although military officials declined comments on the number of fighter jets sent to the region, a serving general of the Nigerian Army, who did not want his name on print, confirmed the operation.

LEADERSHIP Weekend learnt that an order has also been given to the new 7 Division of the Nigerian Army "to wipe out every trace of the Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east". Other divisions are to keep watch over their areas to ensure "there is no hiding place for them," the source added.

The army general said the new division was set up by the government to stamp out the Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast since the then Joint Task Force (JTF) approach did not work well as the political elite had discredited it.

He said: "You remember, it was the JTF that was cracking down on the terrorists. Ideally, JTF is an ad-hoc arrangement; it should not be a prolonged approach, but they were left there for a long time and the people were complaining against them. The politicians and the elders in Borno State called for their withdrawal. That was why 7 Division was created -- to finish what the JTF had begun; we don't want to hear anything called Boko Haram again by the end of this year."

The source further explained that the essence of creating the 7 Division has been justified as "our soldiers have taken the battle to the terrorists' cells, smoking them out from the hills and, if the tempo is sustained, by the end of October, nothing would be heard of them again".

LEADERSHIP Weekend also learnt that the division has been fortified with anti-aircraft and anti- tank guns mounted on vehicles, and the Air Force fighter jets are being used "to smoke the terrorists out of their hidden places. "Most of the returnee soldiers from Mali are part of the troops deployed to the division for reinforcement," he said.
[/b]
When asked to react to the "resurrection" story of Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the sect, the source dismissed it with a wave of the hands. He stated: "Shekau is dead! Do you hear me well? Shekau is dead. If he were to be alive, it would not have taken the insurgents weeks to come up claiming the dead man is alive. They are making the claim for some reasons. For example, the claim would help them to receive support from those who are backing them for the fear of Shekau and they need the claim in order not to look weak before their colleagues outside the country." Although the army spokesman, Brig-Gen. Attahiru Ibrahim, did not speak in detail on the ongoing war against the terrorists, when asked to comment on the performance of the 7 Division and its assignment to deal with the terrorists, he simply said "the 7 Division is doing well". He referred our correspondent to his address at the last press briefing where he gave a vivid account of the success of the division.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 6:13pm On Sep 29, 2013
rka1: http://allafrica.com/stories/201309290176.html

See emboldened section.

Nigeria: FG Redeploys Troops From Mali in North East
By Bayo Oladeji and Joshua Dada, 28 September 2013

The federal government through the Nigerian Army has set December this year as the deadline for ending the menace of Boko Haram insurgents in the north-east zone.

To meet the target, the government has sent more fighter jets to the zone to hunt for members of the Boko Haram sect, who have scaled up their attacks especially on rural communities in Borno State in the last one month.

The government has also deployed troops withdrawn from Mali to man flashpoints in the three states.

[b]Impeccable sources said the plan of the military is to complete the "operation wipe out Boko Haram" by December this year.

The new offensive, according to military sources, "is the final onslaught against the Boko Haram terrorists in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states. Soldiers will comb everywhere for the remaining members of the sect. This mandate is from the Army Headquarters."

Although military officials declined comments on the number of fighter jets sent to the region, a serving general of the Nigerian Army, who did not want his name on print, confirmed the operation.

LEADERSHIP Weekend learnt that an order has also been given to the new 7 Division of the Nigerian Army "to wipe out every trace of the Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east". Other divisions are to keep watch over their areas to ensure "there is no hiding place for them," the source added.

The army general said the new division was set up by the government to stamp out the Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast since the then Joint Task Force (JTF) approach did not work well as the political elite had discredited it.

He said: "You remember, it was the JTF that was cracking down on the terrorists. Ideally, JTF is an ad-hoc arrangement; it should not be a prolonged approach, but they were left there for a long time and the people were complaining against them. The politicians and the elders in Borno State called for their withdrawal. That was why 7 Division was created -- to finish what the JTF had begun; we don't want to hear anything called Boko Haram again by the end of this year."

The source further explained that the essence of creating the 7 Division has been justified as "our soldiers have taken the battle to the terrorists' cells, smoking them out from the hills and, if the tempo is sustained, by the end of October, nothing would be heard of them again".

LEADERSHIP Weekend also learnt that the division has been fortified with anti-aircraft and anti- tank guns mounted on vehicles, and the Air Force fighter jets are being used "to smoke the terrorists out of their hidden places. "Most of the returnee soldiers from Mali are part of the troops deployed to the division for reinforcement," he said.
[/b]
When asked to react to the "resurrection" story of Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the sect, the source dismissed it with a wave of the hands. He stated: "Shekau is dead! Do you hear me well? Shekau is dead. If he were to be alive, it would not have taken the insurgents weeks to come up claiming the dead man is alive. They are making the claim for some reasons. For example, the claim would help them to receive support from those who are backing them for the fear of Shekau and they need the claim in order not to look weak before their colleagues outside the country." Although the army spokesman, Brig-Gen. Attahiru Ibrahim, did not speak in detail on the ongoing war against the terrorists, when asked to comment on the performance of the 7 Division and its assignment to deal with the terrorists, he simply said "the 7 Division is doing well". He referred our correspondent to his address at the last press briefing where he gave a vivid account of the success of the division.

Never ever set yourself the deadline when fighting the enemy.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Never ever set yourself the deadline when fighting the enemy.

Says who? You do not know the exact measures or points to be tackled by this military order! It's our deadline to deal with so watch your own space. wink wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Says who? You do not know the exact measures or points to be tackled by this military order! It's our deadline to deal with so watch your own space. wink wink wink wink

I'm the user that liked your post.

However, I agree with @fighter pilot. You should not set a deadline for an unknown enemy. It's not like the troops know clearly who the enemy is or their numbers. I think it's a bad idea setting a deadline.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot: Congratulations to South African Arms company, Gripens for winning the contract of fitting an integrated electronic warfare and self-protection system on HAL Indian Airforce advanced helicopters.

http://www.janes.com/article/27385/saab-grintek-defence-wins-alh-self-protection-contract

Congratulations to the south africans in the room.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 7:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
I mentioned Durban and its links to Islamic insurgents and terrorist and someone by the name of FighterPilot was everywhere talking ignorantly. A week after my comments, we are seeing Durban evolving. And the FighterPilot will tell us about how "South Africans are too intelligent" and would not aid or support terrorists activities. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Make sure your military intelligentsia can decode and unravel the network. It's live in SA.

[size=14pt]‘White Widow’ paid for SA passport[/size]

September 29 2013 at 04:37pm
By Agiza Hlongwane and Jeff Wicks.

The world’s most wanted woman – British citizen and terror suspect Samantha Lewthwaite – paid R20 000 for fake South African documents in a process that was organised and executed in Durban, The Sunday Independent can reveal.

Durbanite Ehmed Chisty, serving time for passport fraud, has confessed that he sold, with the help of corrupt officials in the Department of Home Affairs, the illegal documents to Lewthwaite who, on Friday, was placed by Interpol on its most wanted list. She is being sought for her alleged involvement in the shooting at Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, which left more than 67 people dead.

The Sunday Independent traced Chisty to the Westville Prison yesterday. He confirmed that:

:: He met Lewthwaite in 2005 and bought the fake passport for her. He pocketed R5 000 and R15 000 went to the corrupt Home Affairs officials, two of whom he identified by name.

:: Lewthwaite wanted and secured fake travel documents for herself and her two children.

In an exclusive interview in prison, Chisty, a 60-year-old convicted fraudster serving a 37-year jail term at Westville for passport fraud, yesterday lifted the lid on the inner workings of a multi-million rand South African-based racket that helped thousands of Islamist militants get their travel documents.

Among those assisted were Lewthwaite and her two children. Chisty, a former Montclair resident, said he had worked in cahoots with another wealthy Durban businessman to process more than 3 000 fraudulent IDs and passports for mostly Al-Qaeda-linked networks such as Al-Shabaab and Soldiers of Islam.

Wheelchair-bound after allegedly being assaulted by the police, and now confined to a low care hospital ward at the prison’s Medium B section, Chisty said he felt “personally responsible” for the attacks.

Sporting a huge beard, Chisty positively identified Lewthwaite from a photograph presented to him and said she was one of the many clients whose names he had written in a diary, which was seized by police when he was arrested.

Interpol issued an international arrest notice at Kenya’s request for the 29-year-old Lewthwaite, dubbed the “White Widow” as reference to her marriage to one of the suicide bombers who killed 52 people in London’s July 2005 terror attacks.

There has been widespread speculation over her role in Nairobi’s deadly siege last Saturday, although there is no concrete evidence.

Chisty recalled meeting Lewthwaite in 2005 before facilitating the issuing of her documents.

“I remember her, that’s her. She approached me in 2005 and I later went to her house in Randburg. She needed a full set of documents for her and her two children. We did the application through four officials in the Durban office and it was processed in Pretoria. She paid the normal price, R20 000 for each document. The way it worked was that R15 000 would go to each Home Affairs official involved, who would then split it with colleagues, and I’d pocket R5 000.

“It pains me to see innocent people being killed like this,” he added. “I cry for them. I just think if I hadn’t helped her, none of these peoplewould have been killed. It’s all because of me.”

He claims that in the days leading up to the bloody raid on the mall, he had been tipped off that terrorists were “moving in” on Nairobi. His efforts to warn NPA staff in Pretoria went unheeded.

A police crime intelligence insider, who could not be named, said this week that fraud and corruption at Durban’s Home Affairs office had been repeatedly identified.

“In two risk assessment reports that were compiled ahead of the 2010 Soccer World Cup, rife corruption at the Durban office was flagged as a valid terrorist threat.

“South Africa and specifically Durban were identified as a launch-pad for terrorists entering the country and moving across its borders. The fact that forged documents are so readily available makes their passage even simpler,” he said.

Last year the US State Department issued the Country’s Report on Terrorism, which identified widespread travel document fraud in South Africa as a danger for other African states.

It detailed how South Africa had recently taken steps to address document fraud and border security vulnerability.

These steps include the upgrading of passport security measures and a watertight accounting system to thwart corrupt officials. South Africa participated in the Department of State’s Anti-terrorism Assistance programme, attending courses on Maritime Interdiction, Explosive Ordinance and Forensics, Land Border Interdiction, Management of Special Events, Document Fraud, and Crime Scene Management.

“Unfortunately, South African attendance at these courses was plagued by poor participation and its attendees were often unaffiliated with counter-terrorism activities,” the report said.

Home Affairs Minister Naledi Pandor confirmed this week that there has been an investigation into how Lewthwaite obtained her ID and passport, but that it had been two years ago. Her spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa yesterday would not confirm if a task team has been established to investigate issues around Lewthwaite.

“Yes, there has been an investigation. The matter of the holder of this South African passport in the name of a South African, Natalie Webb, was investigated and reported upon in 2011. This is an old matter which has now been revived in very interesting ways in the media with a great deal of speculation. The passport was cancelled at that time because it was identified as being fraudulently acquired. The passport itself was genuine, but they used the identity of a South African in order to acquire a South African passport,” said Pandor.

Pandor said she was aware that Lewthwaite lived in South Africa at some point.

However, she said that she was not aware if Lewthwaite’s passport was lost or not, saying it was no longer a legal travel document and had been cancelled.

“If it comes up in South Africa or anywhere in the world, due to interactions we have had with Interpol, the Kenyan authorities and the UK authorities, it would not be regarded as a legal travel document.”

On why it was so easy for alleged terrorists to get access to South African passports, especially the new passports with recently introduced high-tech security measures, Pandor said she did not think it was easy.

“It might have been at the time, but I think we have changed both the process of application as well as the character of the passport. As far as I am aware, up to today, all South Africans are able to travel without (difficulty) and are getting through ports of entry as they travel. I have not received any complaints up to now.”

– Additional reporting by Nathi Olifant

=========================
http://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/white-widow-paid-for-sa-passport-1.1584186

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 7:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Henry120:

However, I agree with @fighter pilot. You should not set a deadline for an unknown enemy. It's not like the troops know clearly who the enemy is or their numbers. I think it's a bad idea setting a deadline.

Chief Henry120, what constiutes the objectives of the deadline has not been let out for public consumption at this stage. Boko Haram will not be eliminated by December but their armed capabilities is one of the objectives of this deadline. The army has not set December as the last day for Boko Haram's existence. America's example when G. Bush declared mission accomplished is something every military strategist will bear in mind when setting deadlines. I know that "deadlines" of a definite/final nature are not practical ... but the context of this deadline needs to be understood. The Nigerian military is inching closer by the day! You may begin to see surprise incursions into Camerounian airspace!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 7:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
Henry120, have you seen the so called video confirming claims of Shekau being alive?

cool cool cool
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 8:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
Henry120:

Na me follow like your comment above. I did not agree nor did I disagree with FighterPilot's comment. Point is ... "deadlines" are effective for setting in motion a rapid, deliberate and more determined onslaught on these insurgents. No room for hit, run, and disappear! cool

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Chief Henry120, what constiutes the objectives of the deadline has not been let out for public consumption at this stage. Boko Haram will not be eliminated by December but their armed capabilities is one of the objectives of this deadline. The army has not set December as the last day for Boko Haram's existence. America's example when G. Bush declared mission accomplished is something every military strategist will bear in mind when setting deadlines. I know that "deadlines" of a definite/final nature are not practical ... but the context of this deadline needs to be understood. The Nigerian military is inching closer by the day! You may begin to see surprise incursions into Camerounian airspace!

Agreed. However, we would need capable jets to prosecute such an incursion. Our over-worked alpha jets and the F-7ni aren't up to the task.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi: Henry120, have you seen the so called video confirming claims of Shekau being alive?

cool cool cool

Yeah, unfortunately I have. Truly, it looks like shekau, the original person. Not the impostor in the august video.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

You don't need my permission to prove yourself! Silly! Show what you have to prove!
You don't even know what your army says. Just follow them on Twitter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Your intelligence quotient is zero! Hopefully your military fat bellies will be called up to your Parliament to state why intelligentsia could not protect your national keypoints from whatever could possibly happen now or in the near future! cool cool You cannot understand military talk ... Neither can you determine what is not! See yeye new recruit!!
Let's see you exercising your military knowledge by explain how more 100 innocent people were killed by BH in the last 2 months.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
Henry120:

Agreed. However, we would need capable jets to prosecute such an incursion. Our over-worked alpha jets and the F-7ni aren't up to the task.
Soon they will be knocked out of the sky SAMs.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
Henry120:

Soon they will be knocked out of the sky by SAMs.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust:

SAM-7 missile is very cheap too and even civilian rebels have it.

BlowPipe missile is very cheap as well

Type 90 AAA cannon fires cheap but deadly chinese cannon shells

all these 3 nigerian air defences are cheaper by far than south african Umbani bombs....

...bring your guided bombs and let us waste them for you sir. thanks grin

Show us where missiles(SAM 7 or Blowpipe) were used to stop a bomb. Bombs are tracked by radar and destroyed by a "wall of shells",your normal eyes won't see a bomb falling.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

No wonder SA is only buying a limited number of missiles and soon we will be replacing starstreaks with our own missiles. We fire our own missiles every now and then in practice. Now tell me where is Nigeria which has never fired even a single missiles on their shelves.

only few countries ever test fire their most expensive and most important missiles in peace time. they use electronic/computerized simulators to give constant practice to their missile operators/personnel on a periodic basis....maybe south africa does not have a missile fire simulator computer grin

i can bet you south africa has not been wasting is Exocet missiles in a stupid peace time regular test firing or else since 8 years ago you bought the small 17 units, you have maybe only 9 left to fight a real war grin

your SANDF navy is already having critical shortage of Exocet anti-ship missiles with only 4 missiles for each valour frigate, but nigeria has excess supply of Otomat anti-ship missile with 40 missiles for one NNS Aradu grin

show me proof that south africa has been wasting its Exocet missile in your dreamland of test firing, show me source proof grin

countries do many missiles tests usually with locally made missiles that can be easily replaced

nigeria too has been test firing its own locally made missiles at Epe project base posted many times on this forum this month, just like south africa has been many times test firing the missiles it makes locally at home.

okay show me proof that south african Gripen jets have been test firing the 25 Iris-T missiles since 7 years ago you bought only 25 units of the missile for 26 Gripen jets....show me source to prove that you have been wasting those air to air missiles when each south african Gripen jet has only 1 single missile each grin

you are a big time mumu @ mugu grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Soon they will be knocked out of the sky SAMs.

Oboi, what's the correlation between what I typed above and this your reply?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust:

...because your tiny brain is thinking that 150,000 nigerian army with 5,000 armoured vehicles/off road terrain vehicles will all foolishly line up in a straight line in front of south african G6 artillery like a line of ants walking back into their ground hole grin

that nigerian army will be in formations of about 200 different battalions moving against south africa in many different directions out-flanking your tiny manpower shortage crippled army from north , south, east and west until we en-circle, surround, envelope and finally swallow you up like a swarm of heavily armed honey bees.

go ask Egypt how Israel surrounded and cut off a whole 3rd army of Egypt

go ask America and the whole United Nations armies why they all ran away from China's army trying to encircle them in Korean war

go ask South Africa why your army rushed to peace negotiation table when Cuba almost encircled your useless army at Cuito, why did your G6 artillery 70km unnecessary range not save your useless SADF army from the hands of 40,000 inexperienced youth/conscript Cuban soldiers....nigeria has 150,000 soldiers and 10 times better war experience than tiny Cuba.

nigerian 50 palmaria mobile artillery needs only about 40 minutes drive in and close the range gap completely.

what even makes you think armies of the world are always 70km magical range distant away from each other in a real war ?

were Seleka rebels 70km away from south african army when they dfeated your army in CAR 6 months ago ? fool grin

no army can see the enemy they want to shell from 70km distance away, but nigerian space spy satellites, spy balloons, and ATR-42 Surveyor surface search aircraft will see ALL south african artillery forces over 100 km away and out-maneuver you completely by sending our infantry and motorized battalions to attack you from the flanks by surprise.

south african army is blind as a bat when they fight....no satellite, no balloon, no ATR-42 Surveyor grin

dont try use drones because nigerian army Roland SAM, Shilka radar AAA, ans Type 90 AAA in our anti-aircraft battalions will shoot down and waste ALL south african drones in a few minutes.

anyway can you please stop wasting our time on this thread by repeating the same old s.tupid comments and making others have to repeat old replies ? or is your fathers' second wife 'doing you remote brain control' grin

please shut up mr policeman, go fight armed robbers robbing and r.aping soweto women...fire still burns in soweto even after apartheid grin

stop wasting our time with silly posts if you are not having m.ental p.roblems upstairs grin

please do us a favour, stop making us repeat posts. thanks grin

Israel learned that there was an "guarded gap" on the Egyptian flanks after the USA flew the blackbird and gave them some intel. Nigeria has that kind of air force?NO. Your Recce mechanised units will be met by superior armoured vehicle. From Rooikats to Ratels www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=601
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

How are you going to see that infrared goniometre at night to adjust it to the right angle in respect with the target, or are your own sunlight? grin grin grin
Stop confusing people because optical mode can only be used during the day, FACT

I will only take it that you are ignorant to as far as how missiles are operated. I repeat, All Roland SAM family use the same mode of operation to engage the target. Night and day has nothing to do with weather. The weather iare conditions of the atmosphere which involves wind, rain, storm, snow, etc, and has nothing to do with day and night.

Two modes of operations of Roland SAM family are;

-Radar, which remains the best mode of engagement, and
-Optical- which must be used during heavy jamming, but only during the day.

Types of Roland SAMs Missiles

-Roland 1 used only during clear weather
-Roland 2 used during unfavourable weather conditions because it is an all weather missile
-Roland 3 has an extended range

[size=14pt]

fool grin

Roland SAM infra-red optical targeting system means night optical targeting system. infra-red optical vision means night vision...

QUOTE :

"Infrared vision is the capability of biological or artificial systems to detect infrared radiation. The terms thermal vision and thermal imaging, are also commonly used in this context since infrared emissions from a body are directly related to their temperature: hotter objects emit more energy in the infrared spectrum than colder ones.

The human body, as well as many moving or static objects of military or civil interest, is normally warmer than the surrounding environment. Since hotter objects emit more infrared energy than colder ones, it is relatively easy to identify them with an infrared detector, day or night.

Hence, the term night vision is also used in the place of "infrared vision", since one of the original purposes in developing this kind of systems was to locate enemy targets at night "

SOURCE :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_vision

proved from the above, infra-red vision means night vision...means Roland SAM works perfectly at night, fool grin

[/size]

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:39pm On Sep 29, 2013
agaugust:

fool grin

Roland SAM infra-red optical targeting system means night optical targeting system. infra-red optical vision means night vision...

"Infrared vision is the capability of biological or artificial systems to detect infrared radiation. The terms thermal vision and thermal imaging,[1][2] are also commonly used in this context since infrared emissions from a body are directly related to their temperature: hotter objects emit more energy in the infrared spectrum than colder ones.

The human body, as well as many moving or static objects of military or civil interest, is normally warmer than the surrounding environment. Since hotter objects emit more infrared energy than colder ones, it is relatively easy to identify them with an infrared detector, day or night.

Hence, the term night vision is also used in the place of "infrared vision", since one of the original purposes in developing this kind of systems was to locate enemy targets at night "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_vision

proved from the above, infra-red vision means night vision...means Roland SAM works perfectly at night, fool grin

The Rooivalk has Jammers plus flare dispensers to counter infrared homing missiles and operates exclusively at NOE which makes it difficult for radar to track. Nigeria has only 16 launchers meaning your army can't out flank any army. Your rolands will protected a single task force group which will consist of all your tanks,artillery,supply trucks,infantry,APCs and armoured fighting cars. This reveals the weakness I have been talking about,A MINEFIELD. And artillery to totally destroy your forces while still being confused.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mike..ZA:
The Rooivalk has Jammers plus flare dispensers to counter infrared homing missiles and operates exclusively at NOE which makes it difficult for radar to track. Nigeria has only 16 launchers meaning your army can't out flank any army. Your rolands will protected a single task force group which will consist of all your tanks,artillery,supply trucks,infantry,APCs and armoured fighting cars. This reveals the weakness I have been talking about,A MINEFIELD. And artillery to totally destroy your forces while still being confused.

for making me repeat a comment i have repeatedly posted over 20 times on this forum in the past 3 months, let me first call you a mental case beyond redemption grin

nigeria has electronic warfare anti-jamming systems and counter-counter measures, we just upgraded our air defence systems with India and Israel in 2012. the Israeli electronic warfare equipment are in use by nigerian army and air force, the Indian air defence electronics too have been acquired and only the AKASH 35km range SAM anti-aircraft missiles is being expected to be contracted at a later time.

no south african aircraft can jam nigerian radars because we have anti-jamming devices.

also, you cannot jam infra-red optical targeting of roland, it is not radar controlled.

nigeria has more than Roland air defences, we have many hundreds of Bofors AAA, Type 90 AAA, and SAM-7 and BlowPipe SAM missiles.

nigerian air defence is the best in all africa and will even be better when our AKASH missiles arrive from India.

land combat artillery ? nigeria also has APR-40 mobile rocket artillery with range 45km rockets and mobility of the launch vehicle is 75km/h speed on the road to close-in on any enemy artillery with longer range in 15 minutes.

now sharaaap and go to sleep its night time....dummy grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
.[size=16pt]

British Royal Air force Runs Away From Roland SAM night combat capability: Falklands War [/size]

Black Buck Two

During the night of 3 May-4 May, Vulcan Jet Bomber XM607 (flown by Squadron Leader John Reeve
and his crew of No 50 Squadron) flew a near identical mission to the first. Vulcan Jet Bomber XM598 acted as flying reserve aircraft.

This raid targeted the area at the western end of the runway
. According to RAF and White's book this was intended to prevent Argentine engineers from extending the runway sufficiently to make it capable of accommodating high performance combat aircraft.

However, according to the historian Lawrence Freedman BB2 missed the runway because of the presence of Argentine Roland SAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

if the world super power British Royal air force fighting at night missed its bombing raid target because of fear of going into range of Roland SAM missile, then i will be happy to invite the foolish and less competent South African air force to bring all its jets and helicopters to face nigerian army at night and attack the Roland, it will be dust to dust, ashes to ashes, R.I.P for all the south african air force pilots.

we nigerians promise to give the south african pilots a decent burial if their bodies are lucky to be found in one piece grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (797) (798) (799) (800) (801) (802) (803) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.