Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,388 members, 7,913,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 03:22 PM

Can The North Secede? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can The North Secede? (9865 Views)

Biafra: Buhari Pushing Igbo To Secede From Nigeria – Ezeife / Biafran Movement To Secede From Nigeria - Fox News / Ohanaeze Chief Threatens Igbo Will Secede If Marginalised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2010
Beaf:

See this clown! Are Tokyo from NURTW, Ibadan branch? Or are you the new leader of Boko Haram? grin

Listen, when you have a topic that deals with your favourite small minded subjects, you can roll as you wish. But when a topic deals with the whole of Nigeria, you should have more sense than to derail it with tiny brained, tribalistic inanities.
''You have brains''. . . .so stick yourself self to your uncle's thread besides when last did you see my on your thread since you chose to shout down any negative comment on him.And as for me being a clown ? Wow. . .i reserved my comment while i laugh my ass off here !!!
metalGo0g:

@OP

The North can/will never secede out of Nigeria; the same rule also applies to other ethnic groups. The word secession was erased out of Nigeria political lexicon during the period Igbo haters fought against Biafra.
Is this the same mentalgong or has your id been hacked ? Lol
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Sep 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

''You have brains''. . . .so stick yourself to your uncle's thread besides when last did you see me on your thread since you chose to shout down any negative comment on him.And as for me being a clown ? Wow. . .i reserved my comment while i laugh my backside off here !!!Is this the same mentalgong or has your id been hacked ? Lol
Re: Can The North Secede? by metalGo0g: 10:58pm On Sep 20, 2010
~Bluetooth:

!Is this the same mentalgong or has your id been hacked ? Lol

You Yoruba monkey should continue your asz licking binge with rotten beef. . . . Try to overlook my posts for atleast 24 hrs.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2010
grafikdon:

Jesu Kristi Nmamuoooo !!! shocked shocked shocked shocked Bluetooth the [b]B[/b]ad [b]A[/b]zz [b]G[/b]angsta !!! grin grin. Isn't it obvious you're the type who'd buckle in the knee, drenched in the pool of your own urine when faced with a situation that may involve swift exchange of clenched fists? Your unnecessary and disturbing distribution of inflammatory  ethnic antagonism riddled infantile drivel, while hiding under the skirt and blouse of anonymity is a dead give away.
You should have known that my hostility has always been towards the so-called  agents of secession and as long as that idea is being mulled,i will remain aggressive in my approach.so no hating at all.
Re: Can The North Secede? by MaziUche0(m): 2:02am On Sep 21, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Yes they can and pray they don't because hunger will finish southern Nigerians. You cannot EAT crude oil.

Crude oil can buy food. You are comparing an inelastic product with an elastic product. The inelastic product always wins.
Re: Can The North Secede? by bawomolo(m): 4:00am On Sep 21, 2010
MaziUche0:

Crude oil can buy food. You are comparing an inelastic product with an elastic product. The inelastic product always wins.

you do realize oil wells don't last forever?
Re: Can The North Secede? by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:17am On Sep 21, 2010
how did you expect a landlord to deserted his land Nigeria belongs to North did you realise that?? when Britain want to leave the left the property to northerners. If you are obsess with it try any funny things, na boko haram missile go finish una,
Re: Can The North Secede? by sbeezy8: 7:22am On Sep 21, 2010
wetin boko haram concern us ? If all southerners leave the north na your own wahala on your own land.

only a abastarddd will think nigeria belong to the north

may God Chukwu Oluwa, Olorun, Oghene PUNISH YOU
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 21, 2010
I dont think dividing the country will solve our problems. What about the Ijaws/Itsekiri crisis, the Ife/Modakeke crisis. We have over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria. Does it mean we must have over 200 nations. Even at that, there will still be crises.

I think true federation, where every state controls its resources and the centre is weak and unattractive will be the solution to our problems.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 21, 2010
I dont think dividing the country will solve our problems. What about the Ijaws/Itsekiri crisis, the Ife/Modakeke crisis. We have over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria. Does it mean we must have over 200 nations. Even at that, there will still be crises.

[size=16pt]I think true federation, where every state controls its resources and the centre is weak and unattractive will be the solution to our problems. [/size]
Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 8:37am On Sep 21, 2010
dappssee:

[size=16pt]I think true federation, where every state controls its resources and the centre is weak and unattractive will be the solution to our problems. [/size]

Whats the point of federalism when everybody can go their way and sustain themselves? If they become their own countries and trade with each other,is that not better?
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 21, 2010

Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 8:47am On Sep 21, 2010
dappssee:

Whats the point of federalism when everybody can go their way and sustain themselves? If they become their own countries and trade with each other,is that not better?
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2010
@Chy: You dont seem to understand the point. When we all go our separate ways, we will still have the units fighting. True federalism means the centre will be weak and unattractive while the states control their resources.

I believe the north has more long term potentials than the south but the fact that they will get some allocation from the FG at the end of each month will make them and infact every other region lazy and less enterprising.

Lagos can survive without FG's allocation. How many states can do that?

I think we should apply the onshore - offshore dichotomy for deep water oil wells and leave the states to control the wells and other resources within their boundaries.
Re: Can The North Secede? by sbeezy8: 8:55am On Sep 21, 2010
even with federalism there will still be people fighting among, ijaws urhobod itsekiri, egbas and ijebus, etc so federalism isnt the crux of it. If anything th most division is in the south.

But we should put these north people in their places AND STOP LIVING IN THE NORTH. It will be easier for Nigeria to break up if southnerners didnt live in the north. That is why they always threat with boko haram and religous wars.
Re: Can The North Secede? by sbeezy8: 8:57am On Sep 21, 2010
federalism will help but it wont stop the killings in the north.
Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 9:08am On Sep 21, 2010
dappssee:

@Chy: You dont seem to understand the point. When we all go our separate ways, we will still have the units fighting. True federalism means the centre will be weak and unattractive while the states control their resources.

I believe the north has more long term potentials than the south but the fact that they will get some allocation from the FG at the end of each month will make them and infact every other region lazy and less enterprising.

Lagos can survive without FG's allocation. How many states can do that?

I think we should apply the onshore - offshore dichotomy for deep water oil wells and leave the states to control the wells and other resources within their boundaries.

The North wants all out islamic rule so can federalism help them receive that? No. Can them going their own way give them that?Yes. You talk about the fighting between small groups, its not even major and once they get their own autonomy it will calm down.Also with other various tribes fighting,nigeria cant even prevent that because its to many tribes so the smart thing would be to break apart and those problems can be easier checked. And since you say the north has more long term potential than let them go their way.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 21, 2010
chyz:

The North wants all out islamic rule so can federalism help them receive that? No. Can them going their own way give them that?Yes. You talk about the fighting between small groups, its not even major and once they get their own autonomy it will calm down.Also with other various tribes fighting,nigeria cant even prevent that because its to many tribes so the smart thing would be to break apart and those problems can be easier checked. And since you say the north has more long term potential than let them go their way.

With true federalism, the north can practise whatever religion they like. If you move from one state to the other in the United States, it will almost seem as if you are in a different country. That is what I mean by federalism. If southerners still feel comfortable living in the north, they can stay but if not, they can move back to their states.

Already the north claimed federalism when introducing sharia. Is the north not almost completely islamatized with the introduction of sharia.

Breaking will not check the problem but bring it to the fore as you will find minority tribes screaming 'marginalization'. I believe in true federalism. The states control their resources and systems of governance.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 21, 2010
dappssee:

With true federalism, the north can practise whatever religion they like. If you move from one state to the other in the United States, it will almost seem as if you are in a different country. That is what I mean by federalism. If southerners still feel comfortable living in the north, they can stay but if not, they can move back to their states.

Already the north claimed federalism when introducing sharia. Is the north not almost completely islamatized with the introduction of sharia.

Breaking will not check the problem but bring it to the fore as you will find minority tribes screaming 'marginalization'. I believe in true federalism. The states control their resources and systems of governance.

you just made my day with this beautiful write-up infact you too gbaski.thumbs up
Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 9:37am On Sep 21, 2010
dappssee:

And how does the country staying together,federalism or not stop the minority tribes from screaming 'marginalization'? In delta state alone the igbos are the single largest tribe amongst various tribes, the same goes for the yorubas with kwara,the idoma with benue,etc.

Nigeria staying together will just continue to be a tug of war for resources. Federalism is not the answer.It'll still never work especially since the same elites will be in the same positions as now.
Re: Can The North Secede? by blaksril(m): 12:14pm On Sep 21, 2010
Of course the can,  they hv agriculture.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2010
THERE IS A GREATER STRENGTH WHEN WE ARE TOGETHER. OUR FATHERS FOUGHT TO KEEP US AS ONE, SO WHY WOULD ANY ONE WISH FOR A SEPARATED NIGERIA. I STILL SEE A BRIGHTER LIGHT IN OUR UNITY, MAY BE IN THE TIME OF OUR CHILDREN, THE LIGHT WILL SHINE BETTER, THAT IS THE DREAM OF OUR FATHERS. NORTH, SOUTH, EAST OR WEST, WE NEED EACH OTHER, AND WILL CONTINUE TO CO EXIST. WE SHOULD WORK TO PROMOTE WHAT WILL KEEP US TOGETHER THAN WHAT WILL MAKE US TO GET SEPARATED, JUST LIKE THIS POST.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Echidime(m): 12:27pm On Sep 21, 2010
When are they planing to do it,i give them my blessings grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can The North Secede? by tomzman: 12:32pm On Sep 21, 2010
Echidime:

When are they planing to do it,i give them my blessings grin grin grin grin grin grin
yeah grin grin wink grin
Re: Can The North Secede? by Ayowumie(m): 12:34pm On Sep 21, 2010
If the North secede, the remaining entity will still carry on. But honestly i pray they dont because it would only result into chaos(this is an understatement, it would result in to WAR). And believe you me, in this kind of chaos, it is only the poor that will be affected. Millions of people would die for a cause which they know not. The genocide in Rwanda would look like a child's play.

Now the question, WOULD YOU REALLY WANT MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE FOR THE GREEDINESS OF A FEW?
Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 12:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ikwikwikwi:

THERE IS A GREATER STRENGTH WHEN WE ARE TOGETHER. OUR FATHERS FOUGHT TO KEEP US AS ONE, SO WHY WOULD ANY ONE WISH FOR A SEPARATED NIGERIA. I STILL SEE A BRIGHTER LIGHT IN OUR UNITY, MAY BE IN THE TIME OF OUR CHILDREN, THE LIGHT WILL SHINE BETTER, THAT IS THE DREAM OF OUR FATHERS. NORTH, SOUTH, EAST OR WEST, WE NEED EACH OTHER, AND WILL CONTINUE TO CO EXIST. WE SHOULD WORK TO PROMOTE WHAT WILL KEEP US TOGETHER THAN WHAT WILL MAKE US TO GET SEPARATED, JUST LIKE THIS POST.

May your fathers fought to keep Nigeria together so that a few elites can enjoy but Igbo,Ibibios, and so Ijaws fought to go their own way. Our fathers never had that dream that you talk about. The is a greater strength when we are together as Africans but not nigerians. As African brothers we can have our own countries and trade with each  other and live in peace without fighting over who owns what.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Ayowumie(m): 12:43pm On Sep 21, 2010
chyz:

And how does the country staying together,federalism or not stop the minority tribes from screaming 'marginalization'? In delta state alone the igbos are the single largest tribe amongst various tribes, the same goes for the yorubas with kwara,the idoma with benue,etc.

Nigeria staying together will just continue to be a tug of war for resources. Federalism is not the answer.It'll still never work especially since the same elites will be in the same positions as now.
With true federalism, every state would have an opportunity to practice its religion, economic and political governance, independent of the federal government. The minority tribes in each state would have fair representation. This does not mean that marginalisation (marginalisation and inequality are a part of human existence)would become history but it means that marginalisation and cry of foul play would reduce.
Regarding the words in bold, The idoma people of Benue State are not the largest tribe in Benue state. The TIVS are the largest tribe.
Re: Can The North Secede? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:46pm On Sep 21, 2010
WE NEED EACH OTHER MY FRIEND. WE NEED A PRACTICAL FEDERALISM NOT COSMETIC SURGERY THAT WILL DISSECT AND WEAKEN US. THERE IS A GREATER STRENGTH WHEN WE ARE TOGETHER. THE NORTH IS NOT THE PROBLEM. [color=#006600][b][/b][/color]
Re: Can The North Secede? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 21, 2010
I'm a staunch supporter of the secession or break down of Nigeria into bits. I want the East to run a govt of its own with the full potiental of being a developed region and also a regional power. I support the secession of the west too the North can aswell seceed and kiss development and other benefits they enjoyed from other regions "goodbye"
Re: Can The North Secede? by chyz(m): 12:53pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ikwikwikwi:

WE NEED EACH OTHER MY FRIEND. WE NEED A PRACTICAL FEDERALISM NOT COSMETIC SURGERY THAT WILL DISSECT AND WEAKEN US. THERE IS A GREATER STRENGTH WHEN WE ARE TOGETHER. THE NORTH IS NOT THE PROBLEM. [color=#006600][b][/b][/color]

Ok, what does the East need from the North? what does the West need from the North? And how would they be weakened if they went their own way?
Re: Can The North Secede? by Justcash(m): 12:57pm On Sep 21, 2010
[b]I don't think the North will like to secede. If they do, they will still survive with a low national income, and live at peace with a free practice of their religion. They have more potentials of having less corruption in future. Their present generation of leaders were corrupted by the sight of so much money from Crude Oil. I am a strong advocate of such a move (North's secession) because it will help them alot, since they will now have the authority to enforce their beliefs without spilling innocent blood. It will also help them to have power till they get tired, with no opposition from their supposed "Infidels". It will indeed lead them to meaningful development, because they will have less of bickering to worry about and concentrate on their areas of competence for survival.
The South will also need to divide further, or else it will be a real war zone. It will divide as expected, if the North secedes. It doesn't matter how many pieces Nigeria divides into, it is peace, prosperity and development that matters.
As many suggested, Nigeria does not just deserve a federation, we deserve a con-federation, which means living as different countries with one weak united central system. This may not last because the constituent countries will be totally different from each other, so very divided. It is still better than forcing those countries to stay as one even at the expense of development. Zoning, Federal character, leadership tussle among ethnic nationalities, frequent religious crisis etc shows that Nigeria needs to act on it's structure. The fact that the North is feeling cheated that a Southerner is coming out as a presidential aspirant is a vindication of the fact that there is really no "Nigerian" [/b]
Re: Can The North Secede? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 1:01pm On Sep 21, 2010
CHYZ, I AM NOT HERE TO EDUCATE YOU ON THIS TOPIC. HOWEVER, WE ALL KNOW THAT THERE IS A GREATER GAIN IN OUR LIVING TOGETHER AS ONE. AT LEAST, IF WE SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE, IT WILL ALWAYS SOUND LOUDER.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

****** 2014 African Dollar Billionaire Rich List****** / Buhari To African Leaders: My Efforts To Stop Boko Haram / Will The Old New National Anthem Affect The National Pledge?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.