Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,015 members, 7,928,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 07:57 AM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13168 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 1:48am On Dec 09, 2010
@topic, does not surprise me. They are more interested in protecting their interests than the well being of the natives! We know how it goes! Rather than go down for the direct ruining of Nigerian land, water and lifestyles they want to play "telephone" with the U.S. as a bargaining system. The U.S. is playing the game too so shame on us them! Shell is VERY shysty and corrupt!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 1:49am On Dec 09, 2010
Meanwhile, despite our learning of these revelations, I can guarantee you that if Shell were to advertise for a 100 vacancies to be filled, they'd be flooded by thousands of applications.  undecided
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by HighChief4(m): 1:49am On Dec 09, 2010
@OP
Is any one surprised? I think even the present Minister of Petroleum was once a manager in Shell
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 1:50am On Dec 09, 2010
@ Rossike SOOO true! but hey ppl need food on their plates and very few is willing to sacrifice steak to be the hero  undecided
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 1:58am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Probably true. I still don't understand why we give Shell so much leway and influence in this country. We are the ones selling them oil and gas, they are not doing us any favors. So why give them that much power?

We did not give them any power they "stole" it through manipulation, treachery and corruption. I will admit though that we did give our leaders too much power, heck! We've always given leaders too much power. from traditional rulers through military to civilians. I'm sorry but, we are a subjugated, oppressed people.  

We need to admit our weaknesses before we can build strenght. Shell and other Corporations act in their own best interests, The question is; when will we do the same?

Beaf:

Shell people are on NL too, causing confusion. It is easy to identify some of them.

grin grin
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 09, 2010
A group of foreigners laughing their heads off over a just concluded deal in Nigeria netting them millions.

''Well done, Mr Thompson. Told you it would be easy.''
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 2:07am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Meanwhile, despite our learning of these revelations, I can guarantee you that if Shell were to advertise for a 100 vacancies to be filled, they'd be flooded by thousands of applications.  undecided

Of course. Money is money. But the government needs to imo actively almost discriminate against Shell and Western oil companies. What value do they add? They are replaceable. Any other country can do their job. There are many qualified oil extracting partners. Why are we so benevolent and kind to choose Shell?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by okeyxyz(m): 2:11am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

grin grin grin
we'd even pay =N=1500 each(NDLEA style). 
they gat us by the balls man.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Beaf: 2:13am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

We did not give them any power they "stole" it through manipulation, treachery and corruption. I will admit though that we did give our leaders too much power, heck! We've always given leaders too much power. from traditional rulers through military to civilians. I'm sorry but, we are a subjugated, oppressed people.  

We need to admit our weaknesses before we can build strenght. Shell and other Corporations act in their own best interests, The question is; when will we do the same?

I think you are mistaken. These problems emanated from the inept semi-literate military regimes in our past. The people to blame are Buhari, Babangida and Abacha.
All shell had to tell these fools was, "sign here." And with dreams of a jumbo Ghana must go, the fools signed like puppies.
Until Allison Madueke's recent local content bill, Nigerians played no part whatsoever in the drilling of oil. A ll we did was spectate, while shell and chevron did as they liked. If ND peeps complained, shell would fly in the Nigerian army in company helicopters to do the relevant damage.

In modern times, the generals interests have been looked after by the cabal. We've been screwed deep, Nigerians should be screaming for blood.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by okeyxyz(m): 2:20am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Of course. Money is money. But the government needs to imo actively almost discriminate against Shell and Western oil companies. What value do they add? They are replaceable. Any other country can do their job. There are many qualified oil extracting partners. Why are we so benevolent and kind to choose Shell?

A man who replaces his dog with a monkey, is it not still an animal that sits around ur house? grin

whoever u replace one wit, the same espionage still takes place. one's got to protect his multi-billion dollar interests be it americans, russians, chinese, etc.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 2:23am On Dec 09, 2010
Beaf said:

Until Allison Madueke's recent local content bill, Nigerians played no part whatsoever in the drilling of oil. A ll we did was spectate, while shell and chevron did as they liked. If ND peeps complained, shell would fly in the Nigerian army in company helicopters to do the relevant damage.

In modern times, the generals interests have been looked after by the cabal. We've been screwed deep, Nigerians should be screaming for blood.

Funny thing is since Madueke came in as oil minister, a degree of sanity has returned to the oil industry, with more Nigerians than ever set to play a proper role in the industry. Maybe she's just efficient and a tad honest, despite her Shell links.  smiley

It's probably not impossible to manage things reasonably effectively even with the influence of these multinationals, which is why the human factor is so important, hence the need to have people like Jonathan in place, rather than say, Atiku. GEJ and his cabinet do not appear too keen to bow to Shell and the other oil companies as much as previous administrations like IBB and co. The Petroleum Industry Bill shows this to some extent.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Beaf: 2:29am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Beaf said:

Funny thing is since Madueke came in as oil minister, a degree of sanity has returned to the oil industry. Maybe she's just efficient and a tad honest, despite her Shell links. smiley

It's probably not impossible to manage things reasonably effectively even with the influence of these multinationals.

I believe nobody ever tried before Madueke. They were too busy getting rich just be signing papers. No investment, no risk, no managerial input. . . just free money.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 2:32am On Dec 09, 2010
okeyxyz:

A man who replaces his dog with a monkey, is it not still an animal that sits around your house? grin

whoever u replace one wit, the same espionage still takes place. one's got to protect his multi-billion dollar interests be it americans, russians, chinese, etc.

Main thing though is to play them off against each other. I'd much rather have 5 enemies in my house who all are wary of each other than 5 enemies in my house who are all brothers.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 2:33am On Dec 09, 2010
Beaf:

I think you are mistaken. These problems emanated from the inept semi-literate military regimes in our past. The people to blame are Buhari, Babangida and Abacha.
All shell had to tell these fools was, "sign here." And with dreams of a jumbo Ghana must go, the fools signed like puppies.

No I'm not mistaken. Our problem goes deeper into history than the Ineptitude of cowards like IBB, Gowon, OBJ or Abacha. The British played this game before Shell, and we are perfect victims with our insane cultural reverence for leaders and elders. But I will not derail the thread with an historical argument.

I agree with you in principle but the foundational issue still remains that these leaders will not act against their own self interests, Shell or any foreign entity won't either, we need to take our blinders off and start pushing our own interests at the pain of death. This is not surprising to discerning watchers of global politics. You are correct we should scream for blood beacuse we are pawns! We need to accept that fact first then maybe we can get angry.

Edit: Ineptness for ineptitude
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by okeyxyz(m): 2:36am On Dec 09, 2010
High_Chief:

@OP
Is any one surprised? I think even the present Minister of Petroleum was once a manager in Shell

hmm, everybody na suspect o.
it seems we'd stumbled unto where the writers of james bond, mission impossible & borne series get their inspirations. money & big-business control govts.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by RICHIEBOI1(m): 2:36am On Dec 09, 2010
no wonder shell had to get rid off KEN SARO-WIWA. he was becoming a thorn in their flesh. angry
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by ShangoThor(m): 2:53am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Probably true. I still don't understand why we give Shell so much leway and influence in this country. We are the ones selling them oil and gas, they are not doing us any favors. So why give them that much power? Venezuela, Brazil, Cuba, Iran, India all have capable oil and gas businesses, no? Why not work with countries like that going forward? At the very least to reduce the influence of Shell.

Like, how is Shell negotiating deals and swapping information with the US about Nigeria? Like they are the of the country, lol? It is pretty sad.

@ DapoBear
The kind of control that you seek, desire or is required will only be achieved by implementing structural change of the type that threatens the status quo. The status quo was setup by the colonial vampires and entrenched by our Northern countrymen, that is why Lugard had a preference for Northerners to rule as they were deemed to be more ‘conservative’ and thus would keep the status quo. Furthermore, British policy all over the empire dictated that Nigeria as a colony could only engage in trading raw materials and never refined products. Which means we could only export raw petroleum and not refined petroleum ( a policy that I believe has only been recently changed since the Obama Administration – check out the history of the World Trade Agreement)

At this stage, any Administration that attempts to challenge the status quo (or upset the apple cart) will risk being destabilized and even key personnel within it risk being assassinated, such is the power of the Multinationals and every Federal Administration is aware of it.

My point again is that it is a grand illusion to assert that “we are the ones selling them oil and gas”, we are not in control of the situation and never have been.

The job of the FGN is to maintain and enforce order at any cost in order for the Multinationals to continue to exploit our resources (and to manage local affairs).

I would be willing to bet my bottom $£N on this that there will be no reaction to this news, no inquiry, no investigations nothing. Had this been Washington, London, Moscow or Beijing there would be hell to pay and heads would roll. The acts of the placed officials in key positions leaking information is tantamount to espionage/treason.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Tunmi(f): 3:00am On Dec 09, 2010
Quote:
Nigeria tonight strenuously denied the claim. Levi Ajuonoma, a spokesman for the state-owned Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, said: "Shell does not control the government of Nigeria and has never controlled the government of Nigeria. This cable is the mere interpretation of one individual. It is absolutely untrue, an absolute falsehood and utterly misleading. It is an attempt to demean the government and we will not stand for that. I don't think anybody will lose sleep over it."

Even the Nigerian government wants to declare this as falsehood. Thank you Assange, and I remember the people who just yesterday, literally yesterday, were denouncing this brave muckracker.

That whole ministry needs to go, except Madueke and Akinyuli. The General Attorney, especially, and some judges need to go. And our constitution must be seriously modified with qualifications stated. Then, hire new people. People who actually went to school. In fact, hire professors with Masters and Ph.Ds.

And please someone deal with Shell. I know we can, if only we want to.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by okeyxyz(m): 3:06am On Dec 09, 2010
ShangoThor:

@ DapoBear
The kind of control that you seek, desire or is required will only be achieved by implementing structural change of the type that threatens the status quo. The status quo was setup by the colonial vampires and entrenched by our Northern countrymen, that is why Lugard had a preference for Northerners to rule as they were deemed to be more ‘conservative’ and thus would keep the status quo. Furthermore, British policy all over the empire dictated that Nigeria as a colony could only engage in trading raw materials and never refined products. Which means we could only export raw petroleum and not refined petroleum ( a policy that I believe has only been recently changed since the Obama Administration – check out the history of the World Trade Agreement)

At this stage, any Administration that attempts to challenge the status quo (or upset the apple cart) will risk being destabilized and even key personnel within it risk being assassinated, such is the power of the Multinationals and every Federal Administration is aware of it.

My point again is that it is a grand illusion to assert that “we are the ones selling them oil and gas”, we are not in control of the situation and never have been.

The job of the FGN is to maintain and enforce order at any cost in order for the Multinationals to continue to exploit our resources (and to manage local affairs).

I would be willing to bet my bottom $£N on this that there will be no reaction to this news, no inquiry, no investigations nothing. Had this been Washington, London, Moscow or Beijing there would be hell to pay and heads would roll. The acts of the placed officials in key positions leaking information is tantamount to espionage/treason.

GBAM! Tell Them!

how do you wanna play power games when u don,t have any power of your own?
As long as we r technologically undeveloped, we'd always be the exploited. Might is right & that's reality. these multinationals & their govts simply do a land grab on our resources & horse-trade between themselves.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by okeyxyz(m): 3:13am On Dec 09, 2010
Tunmi:

That whole ministry needs to go, except Madueke and Akinyuli. The General Attorney, especially, and some judges need to go. And our constitution must be seriously modified with qualifications stated. Then, hire new people. People who actually went to school. In fact, hire professors with Masters and Ph.Ds.

And please someone deal with Shell. I know we can, if only we want to.

professors like Jerry Gana, Abel Guobadia & Maurice Iwu? grin
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Beaf: 3:25am On Dec 09, 2010
Since Shell has being threatening to pack up and go, govt should simply make it easier for their dream to come.
Lubricate all "pack and go mechanisms;" if they want to sell oil concessions, ngovt should buy off them sharp sharp! If they say militants are causing too much trouble, JTF must look away. If the don;t like the PIB, make it even tougher.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 3:27am On Dec 09, 2010
ShangoThor:

@ DapoBear
[b]
I would be willing to bet my bottom $£N on this that there will be no reaction to this news, no inquiry, no investigations nothing. [/b]Had this been Washington, London, Moscow or Beijing there would be hell to pay and heads would roll. The acts of the placed officials in key positions leaking information is tantamount to espionage/treason.

With every ounce of pain and shamelessness I can muster, I will add $1k to that bet.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Tunmi(f): 3:31am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

With every ounce of pain and shamelessness I can muster, I will add $1k to that bet.
Shey make I add my own 500 naira to that one?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 3:34am On Dec 09, 2010
Tunmi:

Shey make I add my own 500 naira to that one?

All join na grin
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 3:46am On Dec 09, 2010
Media investigation ke? I bet you even our top editors and journalists are on first name terms with Shell execs. These people do dinner together mehn. undecided
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by trooperz(m): 3:51am On Dec 09, 2010
In the past the Church controlled through the pope and selected kings ( in Italy, Spain, France etc)

Later on States/Nations became sovereign and had power over the people. The church was tactically weakened.

In the New World Order through globalisation, the States must be weakened. Multinational companies must reign supreme, This is the evolution of the society!

Tanzania has a GDP of $28billion and a population of 25million people=$1120/person (est.) shocked

Goldman Sachs has an Annual revenue of the same $28billion shared by 13 business partners=$2billion/ Business partner! shocked

General Motors, a "Multinational" is RICHER than Denmark, a "country! shocked

For more information please read on the Multilateral Agreement on Investment: In summary it may allow Multinational companies SUE sovereign governments.

http://chenry.webhost.utexas.edu/civil/resources/maiclashofglobalizations.pdf

Welcome to the new world, anything for profit! The drama continues!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Beaf: 4:17am On Dec 09, 2010
I think we should change our pasports to say, citizen of Shell. Lets drop Nigeria from it, that should make our politicians and ex-generals happy with themselves.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 4:43am On Dec 09, 2010
ShangoThor:

@ DapoBear

100% spot on, Nigeria is owned lock stock and barrel by Shell, our leaders are merely overseers on a plantation.

Our sovereignty was hijacked the day the British govt rigged the elections in 1959 before independence and handed control to the north.

Taking power back from Shell can only be done by way of a revolution - the chances of nigerians uniting in order to defeat the FGN and Shell are remote, due to ethnic differences, the west know this, they are privy to everything going on in nigeria via their intelligence agencies.  If need be they can foment inter-ethnic rivalries and stoke old animosities in order to retain their stranglehold on nigeria.

The current situation in nigeria is very similar to what occurred in Iran in the 1950's where british owned oil company Anglo Iranian colluded with the corrupt iranian elite to exploit the iranian people and their oil reserves,  this was brought to an abrupt end when the iranians elected a nationalist leader by the name of Mossadeq who nationalised the iranian oil industry.  The british in collaboration with the americans went ballistic and decided Mossadeq had to go, he was overthrown by the CIA and replaced with the corrupt Shah of Iran who remained in power for 26 years until he was overthrown in a peoples revolution.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 4:49am On Dec 09, 2010
^^Keep telling them.
Beaf:

I think we should change our pasports to say, citizen of Shell. Lets drop Nigeria from it, that should make our politicians and ex-generals happy with themselves.

Hahaha, how about we brand every new born Nigerian baby with a shell logo tattoo at birth? We mortgage their future everyday, why not just make it official? SMH
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 5:04am On Dec 09, 2010
We need to organize protests against Shell. I want them to divest their assets out of Nigeria and return home. Public pressure against them is the answer. People need to put this on Facebook, make sure it is circulated in the news so that ALL Nigerians know who the enemy is.

Why are the Niger Delta miltants sef considered our enemy? They fight only Shell and its puppet, the Nigerian federal government.

So why should we upset if they kidnap oil workers? Or disrupt Shell's oil production? They are freedom fighters and anti-imperialists, are they not?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 5:14am On Dec 09, 2010
^^ Real revolutionary militants are not the peoples enemies but unfortunately the Niger Delta is also filled with oil bunkerers and gangsta murderers masquerading as freedom fighters our problem is how to separate the wheat from the chaff and fight for our people -all of our oppressed people,

As to your call for protest, we've been doing that for years, from Adaka Boro to Saro wiwa to the pockets of voiceless Nigerians screaming for help everyday. I think it's time to direct our collective anger towards home.

If you have the time read this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=506848.msg6685538#msg6685538

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

We Can Only Listen To Nnamdi Kanu- Niger Delta Avangers / Why Nnamdi Kalu’s Type Of Biafra Is A Failure!! (with Pix) / One Killed, Many Missing As Kidnappers Invade Kwara Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.