Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,066 members, 7,928,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 10:56 AM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13170 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 7:53am On Dec 09, 2010
slap1:

+1. But don't think the government is blind to this way of thinking. The truth is Shell will lose billions of dollars if this happens. That is why they spend a few million dollars on their spies who kick against ideas like this. The truth is without the help of some greedy Nigerians, Shell won't be able to milk us as much as they're doing now.

Spies have only so much influence. If ALL Nigerians are against something and public outcry becomes huge enough, it doesn't matter what their spies say or do. This is why I'm saying we cannot let this drop. We cannot just be here on Nairaland discussing it. You have to make sure that your non politically aware friends and neighbors are aware that Shell Oil has spies in the Nigerian government, brags about it, and attempts to negotiate secret deals with the US government that directly harm Nigerian interests.

Witness the Sanusi brouhaha and how the lawmakers backed down. If Nigerians act en masse against something, no power within Nigeria (or outside of it) can stop them.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf said:

Hey DapoBear,

Don't sweat it

Seriously, I would rather have shell in control, than have those idiotis in control.

When white people were leaving Nigeria, the infrastructures they left us with were of great quality; compare the state of those infrastructures now vs. during colonial era.

Furthermore, look around us, it is very glaring that our so called leaders are clueless as to how to manage the country. And, those in-charge of shell, looking at its global status, have succeeded in a short time to build a brand the rest of the world can trust.

I would rather have the management/BOT of shell manage our assets and resources the way they manage shell. I tell you, if the affairs of the country were left in the hands of shell, we would, in a very short time, become a force to reckon with in the world.

So, rather than protest against shell, let's find a way to handover the affairs of the country to them; After all, you are the Mr. "most-competent-person-should-be-in-charge" of Nigeria. And looking at the antecedents of shell, I think Nigeria is in very capable and competent hands. Ciao!

You're the most ignorant and brain-dead person on this forum.

Kindly list the great infrastructural strides you claim were made by the British during their 80 year rule in Nigeria.

Y'know, how many highways, schools, bridges, hospitals, and universities did they build?

Go on, tell us, you ignorant, mentally diseased, worthless entity.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 7:55am On Dec 09, 2010
1.  Has the white people left Nigeria? Yes, They are back in their country, for the most part. [b]The ones here are just here to make money.[/b]

2. Colonial system of administration in Nigeria was based on divide and rule. The colonial masters still divide Nigeria today in other to suck it dry. They instill ethnic violence whenever they see that Nigeria is about to recover. Okay.what is wrong with that? They are doing everything to protect their interest. How does that reflect poorly on them? No one can exploit you, if you do not allow it. You can not orchestrate a revolution with such defeatist attitude like yours.

3. Who installed the corrupt politicians? Were they elected by the people or appointed by Shell? They were installed by a small cabal of former military officers, with the assistance of the White house.

4. Do you think if the Nigerian government is not corrupt Shell will still be doing business in Nigeria? What is your point. Stay focused bro, drop that garri you are drinking.

5. If the management of Shell are angels, as you claim, why are they so heartless as to pollute farming lands and fishing rivers, and leaving the people to starve? Who claimed that the management of shell are angels. Again, if you want to keep praying to some godforsaken angel, please knock yourself out. As for me, I just want an efficient machine that is capable of adequately managing Nigeria. And, in this regards, I'd pick shell over GEJ and his clueless goons. Can you imagine, they couldnt even bribe Bakare smoothly. Who cares about farming lands, and why should they care. They are here to steal your oil and move back to their country after they are done.Wetin concern agbero with overload?

6. Would true angels use their vehicles to convey military men to go and kill innocent villagers? Depending on their aim. If it is to protect their installations and look out for the interests of their country men, i see nothing wrong in it. One man's hero is another man's Osama.

7. Which angel would go the extra length to assassinate Ken Saro Wiwa, simply because he said you can take the oil only if you don't pollute the environment? All angels. Again no one is calling shell angel. Shouldnt you be directing your anger at GEJ and his goons. Shell is here to make money, what is wrong with that? Man must chop, abi?

8. If you think Shell management are angels why can't they invest a little portion of their huge profit in clearing up their mess? Are you waiting for Wikileak to tell you that Shell, Harlliburton, Siemens, Julius Berger and all the top multinationals can not do without bribing those they installed to ruin Nigeria. The money allocated for development has been used to bribe the governement. They have done their part. Hold your governement accountable. Hey, keep praying. One day, God will answer your prayer.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by COMPAQ(m): 7:56am On Dec 09, 2010
To be honest, I don't see too much of a big deal here. Corporate espionage happens everywhere. Asides from Shell, do we honestly think Mobil, Chevron, Agip etc are not gathering data on Nigeria?? If you had investments of $10bln in Nigeria wouldn't you protect it as much as you could? Or like someone said, do we think Dangote, Otedola, Dantata and the Banks are not connected in ABuja? I have a former colleague in Banking who was seconded to Minister of State for Finance (Remi Babalola then) as Special assistant, special assistant for what purpose.

The real issue is not with Shell for trying to gather information to protect its investment, but the issue is with government for allowing it to succeed so easily!! And that doesn't surprise me considering how incompetent our leaders are.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by slap1(m): 7:58am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

Like GEJ's life is safe

Lets be realistic

We are a nation of cowards

We are all talk, no action

Revolution ko, revolution ni.

The only revolution you will ever get is from Pastor Adeboye; And it goes somehow like this; Obey your leaders because God installed them and only God should decide how they are removed.
We're more like a nation of selfish people. Go to the creek and see guys fighting for their right. It is those greedy Niger-Delta leaders that take bribe and sell their people by keeping quiet. The greedy Niger-Delta leaders are the reason that region is so exploited and undeveloped.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 8:00am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf or sefago? tongue
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by TippyTop(m): 8:01am On Dec 09, 2010
I support what Beaf said on page 1, some Nairalanders are here working frantically for shell. In a few hours they'd be here telling us to blame ourselves and leave Shell alone.

A list of some people that quickly come to mind  are
1.frosbel
2.kobojunkie

Am sure Shell have more.

PEACE OUT!!!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 8:02am On Dec 09, 2010
^^ well i hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:02am On Dec 09, 2010
COMPAQ:

To be honest, I don't see too much of a big deal here. Corporate espionage happens everywhere. Asides from Shell, do we honestly think Mobil, Chevron, Agip etc are not gathering data on Nigeria?? If you had investments of $10bln in Nigeria wouldn't you protect it as much as you could? Or like someone said, do we think Dangote, Otedola, Dantata and the Banks are not connected in ABuja? I have a former colleague in Banking who was seconded to Minister of State for Finance (Remi Babalola then) as Special assistant, special assistant for what purpose.

The real issue is not with Shell for trying to gather information to protect its investment, but the issue is with government for allowing it to succeed so easily!! And that doesn't surprise me considering how incompetent our leaders are.

Very good !  Thank you for asking the right questions. We rarely do that as a people.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by edoyad(m): 8:03am On Dec 09, 2010
Aljazeera has already carried the story, CNN is still forming mugu. And to think i used to hate Aljazeera 105 %
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:03am On Dec 09, 2010
COMPAQ:

Roger that!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 09, 2010
Corporate espionage happens everywhere.

thats the word.

i  read somewhere that visitors to factories in korea must surrender all mobile phones on entry - no secret pi9xof our latest project

more to the point , everyone is spying on everyone else. even isreal spies on the us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Pollard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Ami_Kadish

Spies have only so much influence.

spies is not the right term. when you have bought over ministers and senators. . .

shell and the rest of the multinatinals have taken the measure of the typical nigerian politician.

is it becase we are hearing about halliburton and willbros?

do you really think shell has not compromised our ministers as well?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

@Bluetooth: Capitalism is fine. But you don't go into business with a partner who is looking to stab you in the back. This is basically what Shell is. In truth, I don't think we can find any partner who will not stab us in the back, if they have the chance. So rather than giving this 50% share to any one individual, why not split it among 5 individuals who hate each other?

Let Venezuela be one of the five, Shell be another, Russia a third, China a 4th, Brazil a 5th. Rather than all of it in Western hands.
That is not he issue here.I still maintain my stand that these transnational companies are hiding under capitalism to further their cause;the drive to make profit by all means even when their host communities are in comatose.It's not only Shell that is guilty of this offence,it cuts across all western transnational companies.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 8:08am On Dec 09, 2010
edoyad:

Aljazeera has already carried the story, CNN is still forming mugu. And to think i used to hate Aljazeera 105 %

that's the nice thing about leaks like this. Sometimes, you need evidence to take action even though your gut tells you something is going on, without evidence, a lot of times you can't take action esp. if the force you are fighting against is way bigger than you. (imagine a multinational company making profits that's 10x the national income/economy)

So I hope the Naija govt. (at least the less corrupt members if such exist) take advantage of this opportunity and make some changes.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by malabite: 8:08am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

1.  Has the white people left Nigeria? Yes, They are back in the country, for the most part. [b]The ones here are just here to make money.[/b]
[/b]

1. The point I'm trying to make is that GEJ and Shell are in the same boat. So it's not a matter of you prefer Shell to GEJ, they are one and the same. There can't be GEJ in power without Shell. Same applies to Abacha, IBB and Obasanjo.

2. For you to say you prefer Shell to govern Nigeria to the present governors means that you have not read the document going around recently, indicating that Shell and the so called white people still run Nigeria. The white people have not left, and they don't want China and Russia to come to Nigeria and dilute their power
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:12am On Dec 09, 2010
[
b]The real issue is not with Shell for trying to gather information to protect its investment, but the issue is with government for allowing it to succeed so easily!! And that doesn't surprise me considering how incompetent our leaders are.[/b]

So what should we do?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:14am On Dec 09, 2010
^^^

Pray until something happens

And while you are at it; starve yourself for 70 days until some high flying "daddy GO" tells you to stop.

I love Nigeria

Revolution ko, Revolution ni

Who wan die, when you can always run to USA, on a fuel refined by the great satan 'Shell'
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 09, 2010
clearly, Cecelia ibru and co also had their own people in govt also

we can argue that they have their own spies and agents on nl and in the media - remember how sanusi was cussed out by so many

which is why sanusi has said somewhere that he never mentioned his intentions.

even so, the word still got out, which is why it was reported that akingbola was running to ota to ask obj to neutralize sanusi.

Kilode?!:

[
So what should we do?

elections are around the corner. start off by getting rid of the pdp

every vote counts

from gej down to the last lg chairman. OUT

FOI Bill . so we don't need the much maligned white men to wash our laundry for us. hey , why do i think some of the most aggrieved posters here were previously calling for the wikileak's founder's head cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:15am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

So what should we do?

You could always do the same thing you have done in most all other cases, NOTHING! That is always an option!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 8:16am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

^^^

Is this all that Nigerians want to do? Pray that things turn out better, rather than taking some sort of action? I weep for this land.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 09, 2010
COMPAQ said:

You are WRONG. You are typical of these apologists for western criminal organisations which indulge in bribery of officials and even assassination to ''protect their investments'' (read, exploit the masses). They do not get a free pass because they are white or foreign. You should be at least AS revolted by the actions of  the Shells of this world as you are by your ''incompetent'' government.

But no. Typical of your type, you are once again telling Nigerians to turn a blind eye to foreign, imperialist machinations, when in fact Nigerians should be educated on what these foreign firms get up to, and how they desperately need to be CHECKMATED.

If Nigerians are not sensitized to what these multinationals get up to, how in the hell are they supposed to know which of ''our leaders'' is really working for us or for them?

So NO, you CANNOT leave the multinationals out of this. THEY are part and parcel of our problem. And the people of Nigeria MUST know this.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:20am On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You could always do the same thing you have done in most all other cases, NOTHING! That is always an option!

You mean me personally? or "YOU" as in the people of Nigeria collectively? because I'm not sure you know me enough to know if I do nothing Madam Kobojunkie
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:22am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Is this all that Nigerians want to do? Pray that things turn out better, rather than taking some sort of action? I weep for this land.

What?

I want to pray, and you want to weep, what's the difference?

You can weep all you want, as long as shell is in control, it bothers me not!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

You mean me personally? or "YOU" as in the people of Nigeria collectively? because I'm not sure you know me enough to know if I do nothing Madam Kobojunkie
You asked the question - I simply provided a possible answer.

I mean it just seems really weak that all we seem to do is FAKE outrageous at the same news year after year and month after month.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:24am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

^^^

And while you are at it; starve yourself for 70 days until some high flying "daddy GO" tells you to stop.

I love Nigeria

Revolution ko, Revolution ni

Who wan die, when you can always run to USA, on a fuel refined by the great satan 'Shell'

You don come with your prayer advice again, I get the sarcasm though. I replied you earlier. What will you do?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

COMPAQ said:

You are WRONG. You are typical of these apologists for western criminal organisations which indulge in bribery of officials and even assassination to ''protect their investments''. You should be at least AS revolted by the actions of  the Shells of this world as you are by your ''incompetent'' government. But no. Typical of your type, you are once again telling Nigerians to turn a blind eye to foreign, imperialist machinations, when in fact Nigerians should be educated on what these foreign firms get up to, and how they desperately need to be CHECKMATED.

If Nigerians are not sensitized to what these multinationals get up to, how in the hell are they supposed to know which of ''our leaders'' is really working for us or for them?

So NO, you CANNOT leave the multinationals out of this. THEY are part and parcel of our problem. And the people of Nigeria MUST know this.

as stated earlier, that is a business practice.

do you think dangote and co do not do the same

Shell , MTN Dangote etal have taken the measure of our leaders and regulators and acted accordingly.

multinationals all over the world do this. as said before, it is up to leaders to do the right thing.

outside of the us, microsoft is heavily regulated . all sorts of terms imposed by the eu.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 8:25am On Dec 09, 2010
May as well just rename the county the Federal Republic of Shellgeria. Or something.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:27am On Dec 09, 2010
oyb:

[size=13pt]as stated earlier, that is a business practice.
[/size]
do you think dangote and co do not do the same

I believe we all already know that is a fact, especially in Nigeria. There is no need your explaining this to these yet again -- Cause you will have to do this again when the next news of such comes out in a couple of months.

Wait till the very same group of people feigns amnesia next time the same old stories is presented them. Then you begin to realize the true problem is not with the companies doing exactly what they have done for decades, and believe the general public has known of for the longest time.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by babsmii(m): 8:28am On Dec 09, 2010
it'll definitely take more than the number of years it has taken us to remain as a slave to the US for us to get out, now im beginning to think Atiku would be able to deal with this situation since he's an enemy to the US but washington DC will do everything possible to stop him,
the revolution for change should start from building our refineries here cos i have this feeling US is one of the major problem behind our bad refinieries, doesnt seem to me like we can liberate ourselves in 5decades,
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by fyneguy: 8:29am On Dec 09, 2010
This is what happens to countries popping Champagne because they are exporting RAW MATERIALS!

You only pop Champagne when you can convert your raw materials to finished products! Then and only then, can you break the
Slavery chain tied to your tail by neo-colonialists!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:30am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

May as well just rename the county the Federal Republic of Shellgeria. Or something.

Now you are talking

Our currency should have the inscription ; In shell we trust.

And we all go to work for 'Big Shell'

I dey laugh ooooooooooooooooo
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

more like united republics of shell-mobil-chevron-mtn-airtel-etisalat-dstv-dangote-jubaili-etc nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media / PDP Will Pardon Amaechi, Wamakko If They Apologise / Security Beefed Up In Makurdi Ahead Of Buhari’s Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.