Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,066 members, 7,928,215 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 10:52 AM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13169 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Reference(m): 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2010
Thanks Beaf for amplifying that point. If MTN comes to my home and says it wants to erect a mast, I have a right to say no. If the government forces me to give up my house the result is down the line MTN will take over the government. Simple. Corporations are important but Governments must act as a buffer. The interests of the people come first simply because government is made up of the people. So hitting people is hitting yourself. This simple equation has been lost on our government for ages. If Shell is permitted to bring arms to haunt people it is only a matter of time before they turn these weapons on the government. It is called in CIA parlance 'blow back'. The CIA trained and armed the mullahs in Afghanistan to drive out the Russians. Guess who's been tossed around today. It will always come back. Ask Odili.

If the government calls me instead and explains the need for the mast for the 'common good' the respect the government shows me is bound to rub off on MTN. Now if government returns to its base how on earth will MTN now erect two masts or build a refuse dump instead. They can't because there is now a chain of watchdogs. Just imagine the differences in response to the gulf oil spill and those that happen in Nigeria.

This country is a real gangsters paradise.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 1:32pm On Dec 09, 2010
Reference:

I am shocked at some responses on this thread. Where have you folks been all these years. What do you think Shell is. A business. A raw unadulterated business. What is a government, a raw Nigerian government. If you do not know SHELL IS BIGGER THAN THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT. It has been bigger than the government since BP left. Consider this simple analogy. Oil accounts for what 90 percent of our income, thus oil accouts for 90 percent of our GDP. Now Shell, one company produces over 60 percent of this oil. Do the maths. Shell acounts for approx. 50 percent of our GDP. Which means in lay terms for every two policemen one owes his salary to Shell, equally for every two state security men, customs officer, bank staff, fire man, doctor, nurse, mechanic, pastor, etc. Do we talk of infrastructure one of every two kilometres of roads, one airport in two, one minute in two of your airtime, one mega byte of two you use to hang onto Nairaland. If others (telecoms, taxes, hustling, forex repatrations by you good fellows out there, etc) pays one legislator, Shell pays the other. Hell I wonder who they choose to pay, the President or Vice President. So why are you surprised they have information about government. Who's office is it anyway. How can you spy on yourself.

You may ask. How come ? It came by in the sixties and seventies when you abandoned all other sources and forms of productivity and jumped into one. You sold your house to buy a chair. Or is the saying 'he who pays the piper dictates the tune' no longer applicable for Shell. Did they tell you to abandon coal, ginger, hides and skin, tin, copper, did they tell you to abandon agriculture, did the force you not to complete Ajaokuta and bar you from industrialization.

Who in this forum in all sincerity will not grab the monopoly of Shell with both hands. Who will not savour indirect control of this country. We all love power but power corrupts. Shell is massively corrupt because it is massively powerful. Who let it be. We the people because of our laziness, the government because it loves cheap money. So Shell did what all businesses do. It trades. It traded money for power. Government got the money, Shell got the power. As long as our focus remains on personal gain alone, Shell and the likes will continue to rule. Julius Berger, Dangote, Oando, etc are the same, just mini Shells. It is not a white thing. It is a global thing. Corporations control corrupt governments.

Big oil and big defence were key players in the Iraqi debacle because the Bush regime was corrupt. They had eyes and ears in the White House, they controlled the powerful armed services committee of the House. If I was in a business for forty years and traded trillions of dollars I would be grossly foolish not to penetrate every institution that can threaten it.

My friends, due to globalization corporations are the new countries and corporate I.D cards will soon become more valuable than international passports. Maybe, just maybe this 666 business will happen. The top ten fortune companies will buy out Africa three times over.

If you don’t like control don’t worship money. These folks produce everything we need for life and existence and you simply cannot send them away. What you can do is to say no to perceived excesses.  It is called regulation. I believe in foreign investment and foreign participation but I recognize getting the right balance is critical. This is what the Niger-Delta struggle has always been about and some naïve people turn up their noses. The people are not anti-Shell or anti-Nigeria or anti-government. All they want is a fair and right balance in control. The right to say no when they feel cheated. Simple.

My dad once told me partnerships only succeed when one party accepts to be cheated by the other.  True as this may be. Must it.

Thank you, sir for that.

Im so glad that many posters on here are now finally having their eyes opened as to who really controls nigeria, I remember trying to explain many of these issues to several NL's and being dismissed as a "conspiracy theorist" I now understand that nigerians only see the truth when it is told to them by a white man.

To think that many people on here do not understand just how powerful Shell is, i gave an earlier example of how a british oil company then known as Anglo Iranian Oil but subsequently renamed BP, destabilised and overthrew a democratically elected president in Iran because this man nationalised the Iranian oil industry.  Anglo Iranian in collaboration with the american intelligence authorities (CIA) , funded and orchestrated a coup d'etat and  replaced Mossadeq with a puppet.  It is the exact way in which nigeria is being run, all nigerian heads of states have been puppets and anyone of them who dares to challenge Shell will be overthrown.

Someone described Shell as a mere corporation, actually Shell is more powerful than the nigerian govt as a matter of fact the top ten multinational corporations ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN EVERY SOVEREIGN GOVT IN AFRICA.  
Its really shocking at the level of ignorance that our people suffer from, if multinational corporations can lobby and control the US congress why would the control of nigeria be beyond their power?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Mobinga: 1:42pm On Dec 09, 2010
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Omenani(m): 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2010
All I am hearing is Federalism, Federalism, and more Federalism. Who is going to give you all this federalism? The gov't itself, is not going to do it themselves, because it takes away from their power. Federalism in my eyes is a pipe dream. Where in the history of the world, has the gov't voluntarily relinquished power? I never heard of such.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by ahf(m): 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2010
Isn't Shell a Dutch company? What's this link with the US? Well Americans are always up to something, after all they still maintain " Iraq had weapons of mass destruction ". These yankees are just something else.

Our problem still remains our people. If we allow puppets as leaders. Praise them when they steal and refuse to speak when Nigerians do the wrong thing, then we will get trampled upon. (Sanusi vs National Assembly)

Some of these so called "cables" make good reading. I could probably draft a cable about Delta State politics right now, all I have to ensure
is that it contains what people want to hear.

Do we really think companies are here to change our country for us? They are business entities with selfish interests.

It's the duty of the government to checkmate any nonsense behaviors by individuals or companies, but when the government is composed of crooks, what do we expect?

Even if so called "cable" is true, what caliber of politicians do we have to deal with the raised issue? Caliber of Omisore in the Senate ? At times, have we asked ourselves if we are worse than those spying on us?

The responsibility to improve our country lies with Nigerians !! We need to checkmate these companies and these leaders !!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by santony2k(m): 2:11pm On Dec 09, 2010
VZCZCXRO3296
PP RUEHPA
DE RUEHUJA #0320/01 0520630
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
P 210630Z FEB 08
FM AMEMBASSY ABUJA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 2117
INFO RUEHZK/ECOWAS COLLECTIVE
RUEHOS/AMCONSUL LAGOS 8760
RHEBAAA/DEPT OF ENERGY WASHDC
RHEHNSC/NSC WASHINGTON DC
RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC
RUEKDIA/DIA WASHDC
RHMFISS/HQ USEUCOM VAIHINGEN GE
RUFOADA/JAC MOLESWORTH RAF MOLESWORTH UK
S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 02 ABUJA 000320

SIPDIS

NOFORN
SIPDIS

STATE FOR INR/AA, INR/B

E.O. 12958: DECL: 02/18/2033
TAGS: PGOV PINR KCOR NI
SUBJECT: (S/NF) NIGERIA: KANO BUSINESSMAN ALLEGES YAR'ADUA
CORRUPTION

REF: 07 ABUJA 2627

Classified By: Political Counselor Walter Pflaumer for Reasons 1.4 (b,
c, & d).

¶1. (S//NF) SUMMARY: XXXXXXXXXXXX alleged a close
association between President Yar,Adua and Katsina native
and rumored smuggler Dahiru Mangal. XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed Mangal
is the President's "Mr. Fix It," taking care of "anything
filthy" Yar'Adua needs done in addition to smuggling items
for several wealthy Nigerian businessmen through Niger into
Kano. Another Kano business contact corroborated XXXXXXXXXXXX 's
allegations, but observed that Mangal no longer deals openly
in illicit activity since Yar'Adua named him a special
advisor earlier this month. As well, XXXXXXXXXXXX maintained that
he had been approached by a man claiming to represent First
Lady Turai Yar'Adua and seeking an USD 2 million pay-off.
While Post cannot independently authenticate these
allegations of corruption by the President or First Lady,
Post has heard rumors of an emergent "Katsina clique" in the
Presidential Villa. END SUMMARY.

¶2. (S//NF) Kano real estate entrepreneur and longtime Mission
contact XXXXXXXXXXXX told PolOff February
10 that Katsina native Dahiru Mangal, who XXXXXXXXXXXX contends
deals in illicit smuggling of goods into Nigeria, is also
known as President Yar'Adua's "Mr. Fix It." XXXXXXXXXXXX alleged
a close association between the President and Mangal, dating
to the former's tenure as governor of Katsina, and claimed
the latter remains to this day Yar'Adua's "go-to man" to
accomplish "anything filthy that Yar'Adua needs done."
Mangal, XXXXXXXXXXXX said, is also the "go-to" for any wealthy
Nigerian, who wants to import "just about anything" into
Nigeria. He declined to state whether Mangal smuggled
weapons, drugs, or persons into Nigeria. (On February 17,
PolOff queried another Kano business contact, who
corroborated XXXXXXXXXXXX 's accusations, however claimed Mangal no
longer goes by "Mr. Fix It" since Yar'Adua officially named
him a special advisor earlier this month. Allegedly,
Yar'Adua instructed Mangal to cease any illicit activity if
Mangal wished to enjoy official recognition by the President.
The contact implied this may connote, inter alia, that
Yar'Adua desires to maintain at least the appearance of
respect for rule of law, and thus, does not want any of his
close advisors openly involved in suspect activity.)

¶3. (S//NF) XXXXXXXXXXXX told PolOff XXXXXXXXXXXX
several Nigerian businessmen who have employed Mangal's
services over the past several years. Reportedly, Mangal owns a warehouse across
the Niger border (likely close to the Katsina border with
Jibiyya and Maradi) in which he stores hundreds of 40-foot
shipping containers. XXXXXXXXXXXX claimed Mangal is able to
import goods from around the world, including China. In
return, Mangal requests a flat fee of 2 million naira (USD
17,000), excluding the cost of goods. Approximately 100
containers per month are brought into Kano, and goods are
then delivered to clients or sold in Kano's Kurmi market.

¶4. (S//NF) Mangal also operates several legitimate
businesses, XXXXXXXXXXXX asserted, including Mangal Airlines. The
National Hajj Commission of Nigeria contracted Kabo,
Bellview, Meridian, and Mangal Airlines for the December 2007
hajj operations, which transported approximately 100,000
Nigerians to Saudi Arabia for the annual pilgrimage. (Note:
Many Nigerian Muslims have criticized the GON's handling of
the 2007 hajj claiming several thousand Nigerians were left
stranded in Saudi Arabia and could not return to Nigeria,
except without extraordinary hardship, and several others
were never airlifted from Nigeria at all. End Note.)

¶5. (S//NF) Moreover, XXXXXXXXXXXX said XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX had been approached recently by a man claiming to speak on
behalf of First Lady Turai Yar'Adua. The person, who arrived
at the meeting with XXXXXXXXXXXX in a Peugeot with a
"presidential" license plate, told XXXXXXXXXXXX the First Lady
would "allow" them to construct the homes so long as she is
given an advance payment of 250 million naira (USD 2
million). XXXXXXXXXXXX said he was willing to offer the First

ABUJA 00000320 002 OF 002

Lady twenty plots of land instead, to which the presumed
emissary grimaced. The negotiations, XXXXXXXXXXXX told PolOff,
continue.

¶6. (C//NF) NOTE: During a late January conversation with
PolOff, XXXXXXXXXXXXX said XXXXXXXXXXXXX
purchased an USD 10 million house in central London
approximately 7 years ago, XXXXXXXXXXXXX.
This house apparently was excluded from President
Yar,Adua,s public declaration of assets in June 2007, which
put his total wealth at approximately USD 7 million. END
NOTE.

¶7. (S//NF) COMMENT: While XXXXXXXXXXXX is a trusted, longtime
Mission contact who has provided veracious information in the
past, we cannot independently confirm his statements
regarding Mangal or the First Lady. Certainly, the man who
approached XXXXXXXXXXXXX seeking a pay-off may simply have been
attempting to exploit the First Lady's name for personal
enrichment. We have heard rumors of the emergence of a
"Katsina clique" in the Villa -- a group of individuals from
the President's home state of Katsina who reportedly
constitute Yar'Adua's inner circle and increasingly, control
access to him. The surfacing of this group may be a
corrollary to Yar'Adua's lack of national exposure (and
hence, his deficiently broad support base) and his inability
thus far to stamp his authority on the ruling People's
Democratic Party. Rumors abound alleging that the First
Lady, Special Advisor Tanimu Yakubu, and Minister of
Agriculture Sayyadi Ruma are involved in corrupt practices.
Reports of both the First Lady and Yakubu's taste for the
high life and tendencies toward illicit enrichment surfaced
during a December 2007 debrief by XXXXXXXXXXXXX
outlined problems he saw in the Villa and cases XXXXXXXXXXXXX
was closely watching (Ref A).
Several contacts from XXXXXXXXXXXXX, moreover, maintain that while
the President "appeared incorruptible" during his tenure as
governor, his wife siphoned off millions in public funds for
private use. Post will closely monitor these accusations and
report any new developments. END COMMENT.
SANDERS
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Reference(m): 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2010
Omenani, it starts with a idea, it is grown by suffering and harvested when ripe. When enough of us have suffered enough then, maybe.  You may sleep for hours, when hunger comes you will surely wake.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2010
Reference:

Thanks Beaf for amplifying that point. If MTN comes to my home and says it wants to erect a mast, I have a right to say no. If the government forces me to give up my house the result is down the line MTN will take over the government. Simple. Corporations are important but Governments must act as a buffer. The interests of the people come first simply because government is made up of the people. So hitting people is hitting yourself. This simple equation has been lost on our government for ages. If Shell is permitted to bring arms to haunt people it is only a matter of time before they turn these weapons on the government. It is called in CIA parlance 'blow back'. The CIA trained and armed the mullahs in Afghanistan to drive out the Russians. Guess who's been tossed around today. It will always come back. Ask Odili.

If the government calls me instead and explains the need for the mast for the 'common good' the respect the government shows me is bound to rub off on MTN. Now if government returns to its base how on earth will MTN now erect two masts or build a refuse dump instead. They can't because there is now a chain of watchdogs. Just imagine the differences in response to the gulf oil spill and those that happen in Nigeria.

The nigerian govt has the right to say no to Shell's demands, but what happens if Shell overrides the nigerian govts requests and decides that it does not give a damn what the nigerian govt wants?

You are forgetting one major point, Nigeria militarily is no match for NATO, therefore if Shell, Chevron or Exxon Mobil decide tomorrow that they are not happy with any of the policies that Nigeria is adopting with regard to the oil industry it can do several things:

destabilise the entire country by fomenting inter ethnic clashes (very easy to do in a country like nigeria)

orchestrate a military coup detat using a paid saboteur (history has shown us that we have millions of people in nigeria who have no loyalty to nigeria and who would sell their own mothers for a piece of the action)

impose economic sanctions -cutting off nigeria's export markets - the US and britain are currently nigeria's largest oil importers - if they pull out of nigeria, who does nigeria export to? the US could also make it difficult for other potential countries who might want to trade with Nigeria eg  China.  The US actually tried this in Sudan, they destabilised the entire country in order to force China out.

as a last resort - stage a military intervention - the US has already started deploying troops to the gulf of guinea area (AFRICOM) under the pretext that they are merely securing our territorial waters from piracy and other terrorist activities!!

Government can only act as a buffer where it has the military might to repel any intervention, nigeria does not have that power that is why it succumbs to Shell, Chevron and Exxon Mobil's dictates.  

Shell instructs the nigerian govt not the other way around, remember that Shell were the ones who gave the instruction for Saro Wiwa to be executed because they felt that his activities were interfering with the day to day operation of their business.  

I think you should also bear in mind that our leaders are willing accomplices with Shell's activities in nigeria, in exchange for aiding and abetting Shell's criminal activities in the ND they receive military aid from the US and the UK, this military aid enables them to remain in power for as long as they are willing to keep playing the game of selling out their own people.

Shell will not turn against the nigerian govt UNLESS the nigerian govt interfere with their activities, i think it should be obvious to anyone that the likelihood of the nigerian govt biting the hands that is keeping them in power is equal to zero.

One other thing you seem to have overlooked is the long term objective of multinational corporations, they are not in the business of creating democracies or carrying out humanitarian acts - they are in the business of making profit.

Even if the nigerian govt were a progressive govt which adopted economic policies which benefitted its populace, they would still be at risk of an attack from the US and Britain, this is because western multinationals are only interested in maximising profit, if it means murdering thousands of indigenous people so be it - i would advise you to research US and British multinational corporations activities all over south america, south east asia and africa and then the picture will become clearer.

The only defence against these corporations is military might , when you have military might you can protect the economic and political sovereignty of your nation from external intervention.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Builder: 2:35pm On Dec 09, 2010
As if any more proof is needed. America the land of the free, useless motherf.cukers, i wonder why they keep preaching democrazy and human right,,, when  infact it is the land of exploitation, invasions and a land where money, greed, selfishness and enslavement runs wild all in the name of money and profit. My heart goes out to nigeria, a country where corruption and embezzlement have no rival, to be sincere this is a marriage made in hell, a country willing to exploit(America) and a country willing to be exploited(nigeria) , for as long as shell remains in nigeria, out sufferment and enslavement, riots and poverty stands tall.
God please when will another 9/11 happen again in America, i just cant wait.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by sochan: 2:38pm On Dec 09, 2010
Lets blame everything on the West, including Ibori and his brother who have stolen all the money from Delta state. Na Oyibo man make us do am. From a people that cannot even elect themselves a credible leader.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by kodewrita(m): 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2010
A post filled with so many ignorant people arguing based on rumour and self-supporting inane opinions.

The FG nationalized BP in the 70s. did we lose our sovereignity for that? Venezuela (much closer to the reach of the US airforce) threatened the oil majors, got them to play ball and got away with it.

besides the people in government will only go along if it serves their purpose.

Shell has no power to deeply influence an already crooked nigeria.

Interestingly half of the people making comments have never worked in an oil major (not even as contract staff or external contractor or even industrial attache) yet they claim to know.

Reference:

As for this comment, The Land Use Act of 1977 says you cant refuse if the government awards MTN your house unless you have a C.of O in which case they compensate you(if they remember). All Land belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria. capisce. so your argument holds no water.

There's no line in that cable that suggests shell imported arms, it claims they suspect importation of arms. read well.

besides you all shout shell as if its a company of 5000 white men climbing all over your land. investigate and you will find out its almost wholly filled with nigerians. it is one of the most indigenised of the oil majors. enough said.

Of course it will be a scary thing if this were true but I choose to take it with a pinch of salt. that someone says he killed another person doesnt make it true unless he actually did. if that holds in a court of law why not here.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by ahf(m): 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2010
sochan:

Lets blame everything on the West, including Ibori and his brother who have stolen all the money from Delta state. Na Oyibo man make us do am. From a people that cannot even elect themselves a credible leader.

I tire ohhhhh
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by ahf(m): 2:53pm On Dec 09, 2010
Reference ID Created Released Classification Origin
09ABUJA259 2009-02-10 16:04 2010-12-08 21:09 SECRET//NOFORN Embassy Abuja

VZCZCXRO7442
OO RUEHPA
DE RUEHUJA #0259/01 0411610
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
O 101610Z FEB 09
FM AMEMBASSY ABUJA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 5253
INFO RUEHZK/ECOWAS COLLECTIVE
RUEHOS/AMCONSUL LAGOS 0802
RHEBAAA/DEPT OF ENERGY WASHDC

S E C R E T SECTION 01 OF 03 ABUJA 000259

NOFORN
SIPDIS

STATE PASS USTR FOR AGAMA
USDOE FOR GEORGE PERSON AND CHAYLOCK

E.O. 12958: DECL: 10/02/2028
TAGS: EPET ENRG ELAB PINR ECON SENV PGOV NI
SUBJECT: (C) NIGERIA: SHELL BRIEFS AMBASSADOR ON OIL GAS ISSUES,
COMMENTS ON PRESIDENT'S HEALTH AND HIGH-LEVEL CORRUPTION

REF: ABUJA 203

Classified By: Ambassador Robin R. Sanders for reasons 1.4. (b
& d).

¶1. (S/NF) SUMMARY: Shell's regional executive vice president for
Africa Ann Pickard and government relations representative Peter
Francis met with the Ambassador on January 27 in Abuja and provided
an update on problems in the oil and gas sector. Pickard said that
things were going from bad to worse, especially the security
situation. She said that Nigeria now had one of the highest negative
ratings for maritime operations, creating problems for Shell in
hiring oil tankers to load, as tanker operators will work only under
highly selective conditions. Last year there were about 80 piracy
attacks on land and water combined. This year already 15 have been
tallied, which includes 3 for Shell and 3 for Exxon. On corruption,
Pickard said that Nigerian entities control the lifting of many oil
cargoes and there are some "very interesting" people lifting oil.
Oil buyers would pay NNPC GMD Yar'Adua, Chief Economic Advisor Yakubu
and the First Lady Turai Yar'Adua large bribes to lift oil. Pickard
also reported an instance of the Attorney General Aondoakaa allegedly
soliciting a $20 million bribe to sign a document. The International
Oil Companies (IOC) are quite concerned about the "very flawed" new
petroleum sector energy bill. The IOCs will be asking U.S., Dutch,
and U.K. COMs to convey points on the bill to GON policymakers.
Pickard agreed that the President's health is a guessing game. She
said that in her recent meetings with Yar'Auda he seems alert, though
very drawn in the face, thin, and frail. Her information is that the
President was not in danger of dying soon, but also was unlikely to
ever fully recover from his ailments. (Note: see septel on oil/energy
sector issues for the Ambassador's meeting with the new Minister of
Petroleum Resources. End Note). END SUMMARY.

¶2. (C) Shell's regional executive vice president for Africa Ann
Pickard and government relations representative Peter Francis met
with the Ambassador on January 27, 2009 in Abuja and provided an
update on problems in the oil and gas sector. Pickard reported that
Shell's meeting with Minister of Petroleum Resources Dr. Rilwanu
Lukman scheduled for earlier that day had been cancelled; the third
week in a row where key appointments had fallen through, with the
excuse of being summoned to the Presidential Villa. (Note: Emboffs
have observed that meetings with ministers and senior staff are
indeed often cancelled with the explanation that they have been
summoned to the Presidential Villa, even when the President is out of
town. End note). Econ Counselor and Econoff (notetaker) also
attended the discussion.

- - - - - - - - -
FROM BAD TO WORSE
- - - - - - - - -

¶3. (C) The Ambassador took the opportunity to share with Pickard that
the Mission was in the midst of completing its Strategic Plan and
asked Pickard where she thought Nigeria was headed. Pickard said that
things were going from bad to worse, especially in terms of security.
She said that Nigeria now had the highest negative rating for
maritime security, creating problems for Shell in hiring oil tankers
to load; tankers will work only under highly selective conditions.
She also noted that late on the evening of Saturday January 17,
Nigerian militants attacked and boarded two vessels at a Shell crude
oil loading platform in Bonny and took eight crew members hostage.
Standard procedure on the tanker was followed: the ship went into
immediate lock down; there were no injuries or fatalities from the
boarding. The eight Nigerian crew members who were taken hostage were
later released. The pirates who went through the sections of the
boat to which they were able to gain access, smashing and stealing
computers, electronics, and personal items of the crew members. The
second vessel was a tug boat towing a supply vessel from Bonny to
Calabar. Last year there were about 80 incidents of piracy; this
year already 15 had been tallied, which includes 3 for Shell and 3
for Exxon. GON officials have told Shell to "hire more security."
The price of doing business in the oil and gas sector in Nigeria
continues to climb she concluded. [Note: The International Maritime
Bureau (IMB), a division of the International Chamber of Commerce -
www icc-ccs org - reports that the waters off the Gulf of Guinea
(Nigeria) remain the second worst, with 40 incidents in 2008 to the
Horn of Africa (Somalia) with 42 recorded incidents. The IMB notes
that in 2009 the Horn of Africa will be more intense as Spring comes
due to the large number of foreign warships in the region on active
patrol to ensure the safety and security of vessels. The same
increased security is not expected for Nigeria in 2009. End Note]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SHELL BELIEVES COUP UNLIKELY; CORRUPTION WORSENING
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ABUJA 00000259 002 OF 003

¶4. (S/NF) The Ambassador asked what Shell's thoughts were on any
potential for a coup. Pickard answered that there is little
intellectual capital to plan and execute a coup and Shell sees little
potential for one. Pickard then went on to say that corruption in
the oil sector was worsening by the day. The Ambassador asked for a
few examples. Pickard said that Nigerian entities control the
lifting of many oil cargoes and there are some "very interesting"
people lifting oil (People, she said that were not even in the
industry). As an example she said that oil buyers would pay Nigerian
National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) General Managing Director
Yar'Adua, (Note: not related to President Yar'Adua. End Note) Chief
Economic Advisor Yakubu, and the First Lady Turai Yar'Adua large
bribes, millions of dollars per tanker, to lift oil. The IOCs
control the liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cargos, so GON actors do
not have the same opportunity for illicit gain. Pickard also said a
former associate of hers (protect) had told her he had been present
when Attorney General Aondoakaa had told a visitor that he would sign
a document only if the visitor paid $2 million immediately and
another $18 million the next day.

- - - - - - -
VERY BAD BILL
- - - - - - -

¶5. (C) Pickard reported that Shell, Exxon-Mobil and Chevron all have
big license review disputes with the GON. Shell has taken its
dispute to court and the court is supporting Shell's position.
According to her, Shell is stepping back for the moment, however, to
see how the other two majors negotiation fair, but is not taking its
case out of court yet. The IOCs are quite concerned about the "very
flawed" new petroleum sector energy bill. The bill is silent on what
fiscal regimes would be applied. Shell says that the bill could
reduce the corporation's overall value in Nigeria. GON discussions
around the bill have mentioned the possibility of moving to five-year
licenses and prohibiting exploring both oil and gas from the same
source, which would contradict how oil and gas extraction works in
practice. The bill is silent on joint ventures; it just states that
NNPC will be incorporated. Pickard said the bill was "likely to sail
through." The IOCs will be asking U.S., Dutch and U.K. COMs to
convey points on the bill to GON policymakers. (Note: Pickard
mentioned that the IOCs will not share company information directly;
they will hire consultants, like McKinsey, to produce common themes
so the messages from the IOCs to be shared with the relevant
Ambassadors are clear and consistent. End note). Pickard lamented
that the expected cycle of petroleum is at least five years for the
first oil to flow, another 10 years of production to begin to break
even. These numbers change when oil is $40 per barrel instead of $100
per barrel. Hence, a five year license would not be an incentive for
investment and development.

- - - - - -
GAS ISSUES
- - - - - -

¶6. (C) The Ambassador said that the Mission was looking at
performance measures for the economy, i.e. the linkage between the
country's electricity output and gross domestic product (GDP). The
Ambassador shared that the Mission feels strongly that gas for
feedstock is the key to Nigeria's power production, which is only
about 2,800 average megawatts for a country of 140 million people.
Pickard agreed and added that the U.S. got it wrong on its domestic
natural gas policies, which it took over 20 years to sort out. So it
is not surprising that Nigeria has it wrong at this point. She said
there is not adequate infrastructure for gas. Gathering plants and
pipelines to carry the product to the power plants still have to be
financed and built. The Nigeria Independent Power Projects (NIPP)
were located where there is no gas and no infrastructure. In
addition, the international oil companies were coerced into building
a power plant each, something they have no expertise in, and they are
scrambling to deliver gas to these plants.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YAR'AUDA VACATION IS PERHAPS SOMETHING ELSE

¶7. (S/NF) Pickard agreed that the President's health is a guessing
game. She said that in her recent meetings with Yar'Auda he seems
alert but drawn in the face and frail. She reported that a Julius
Berger (protect) contact says that the President was not in danger of
dying soon but has serious ailments from which he will never fully
recover. Pickard shared that Berger provides transportation
including planes for the President and has reportedly flown in
doctors and technicians to attend the President (reftel). She said,
for instance, that her Berger contact confided that they flew the
President from Germany to Saudi in September 2008. Additionally, the
Berger contact thought the President would not return to the Villa

ABUJA 00000259 003 OF 003

offices, as they were moving the President's personal things out of
the Villa. (Note: What we think this means is that Yar'Adua is
spending most of his time in the presidential residence and not in
the Villa offices. End Note).

HOPES THAT OIL NATIONALISM CAN BE TEMPERED

¶8. (C) The Ambassador asked how comfortable Shell was with the new
appointment of Dr. Rilwanu Lukman as Minister of Petroleum Resources,
and the appointment of Mohammad Sanusi Barkindo as the new NNPC GMD.
Pickard sees the nationalism card cooling with the removal of former
NNPC GMD Yar'Adua, given that new Minister of Petroleum Lukman is
more "pragmatic" and will hold sway over deputy Minister Ajumogobia.
(Note: Ajumogobia's technical assistant told EconOff in a meeting on
January 14, 2009 that the State Minister was focusing on Gas, since
before the mass cabinet change he was State Minster of Petroleum,
with a separate State Minster for Gas.) End Note. She said she was
also okay with NNPC chief Barkindo. She has worked with Barkindo
several times over the past few decades, especially when they were
both working climate change. She said Barkindo led Nigeria's
technical delegation to climate change negotiations that produced the
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)and the
Kyoto protocol to UNFCCC during while he served on its Bureau at
various times. She indicated that although his undergraduate studies
were in political science, he obtained his MBA from Southeastern
University in Washington DC and did postgraduate work in petroleum
economics and management at Oxford University. Although she also said
terms like nationalistic and Chavez she however said that she thought
he could be steered in the right direction on the petroleum sector.

- - - -
COMMENT
- - - -

¶9. (C) Although Pickard clearly seems frustrated with the way things
are going in the maritime security, oil sector legislation, and
corruption which affects Shell's bottom line, it was useful to hear
that she has hopes for the new Petroleum Minister and NNPC chief.
Septel on the Ambassador's meeting with new Petroleum Minister Lukman
will address many of these same issues.

¶10. (U) This cable was coordinated with Consulate Lagos.

SANDERS
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by youngmonie: 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2010
4. (C/NF) Discussing the politics behind the recent events in Rivers State, Pickard said Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi lacked the connections among Rivers State militant leaders to successfully co-opt them as the governors in Delta and Bayelsa states have done with militants in their states. Amaechi has more groups of militants to deal with than does Delta State, where Governor Uduaghn has reached an agreement with Tom Polo, or Bayelsa State, where Governor Silva has reached an agreement with three of five groups. (Note: She did remark that Bayelsa State militant leader, "Boyloaf" was not one of the Bayelsa militant leaders that had been "settled". End Note.). In her view the clash between the JTF and militants was a proxy war for ongoing disputes between Amaechi and XXXXXXXXXXXX (Ref B)

GAZPROM Making a Play for Shell's Concessions in Nigeria?

--------------------------------------------- ------------
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by eldee(m): 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2010
ahf:

potential for one.

SANDERS

Damn . . .
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by thameamead(f): 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2010
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Reference(m): 3:08pm On Dec 09, 2010
Sorry Kodewriter, the very Land Use act you refer to is another insert for corruption. In a nutshell, if you cannot respect your wife how do you expect your neighbour to respect her. The interests of your people come first. The land use act is not in the interest of the people. When countries open up to foreign investment and give incentives they have term limits. Shell DOES NOT need incentives from government. They have exploited this country for decades. Made enough money. They DO NOT NEED INCENTIVES. They should not be made to hide under government and exploit such nonsense Acts to destroy the lives of people. They should be made to face the people squarely and hear them out.

I repeat no one is suggesting Shell should be nationalised or kicked out. We are not communists nor socialists. What sensible people should be asking for is the same standards of accountability and probity that these mutinationals are subjected to whether in Texas, Louisiana, the North sea, or Russia. Simple.

PS. I cannot remember anyone suggesting Shell is American. Multinationals have hazy identities. America is involved because they remain the destination of most of the world's crude. That is the extent of their complicity. If certain standards in environment and human development are applicable to them they should extend such to us.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by FBS: 3:39pm On Dec 09, 2010
I thought this was common knowledge.  undecided
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by santony2k(m): 3:44pm On Dec 09, 2010
Sorry @Reference,
 Contrary to what you think, Shell, Chevron, ExxonMobil, even you (if you decide to go into drilling) need incentives because NNPC doesn't DRILL. I have/know the inner workings of petroleum economics, in an intermediate extent (not an expert) but from what I know, we NEED shell - we pay millions to invite them actually and if there is no profit in a business, they don't agree to the JV or profit sharing agreement (the only 2 ways we make money from oil).
 Land/offshore, shallow waters/deepwaters are all just different criterias of determining what type of companies or what type of business is done. Not all companies do shallow/deepwaters and/or land/offshore. get my drift?

I LOVE THIS WIKILEAKS cable. Reveals a lot of suspected nuances by our FG and what the big players in the international scope actually know.
Just my 2 cents.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by kingvictor(m): 4:03pm On Dec 09, 2010
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by archive(f): 4:18pm On Dec 09, 2010
WikiLeaks: "Nigeria has enormous potential" part 1: read both parts of the LEAKED cable on www.thenigerianarchive.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by seanet02: 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2010
@beaf, you don start your blind arguments again abi
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by maro23(m): 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2010
I am surprised but not shocked.

This is supposed to have been expected in a mono economy like ours, relying so heavily on crude oil exports. I think we should be thinking of how to leave this mess and move on stronger in the way forward.

The way forward is to reduce the lucrative nature of politics. A law should be passed to make the highest government official earn no more than twice the minimum wage. NLC has a major role to play. They are the closest to the voice of the people.  When this law is passed, we won't have square pegs in round holes anymore. Only patriotic Nigerians truly interested in service will go for political offices. The next major step is to increase our production levels from sub zero.

Won't it be really interesting if we had 40 other products we export, if each of them generates more revenue than crude oil?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by kwesidon: 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2010
Na 9ja enonomy d always melt down. i no no Y?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2010
Quote from: ahf on Today at 02:53:25 PM
potential for one.

SANDERS

eldee:

Damn . . .
[/b]

Yea eldee, that was my initial reaction to that lady's observation, it is sadder because it's true -there is little intellectual capital in leadership, we keep throwing up the dumb greedy ones.

Like I mentioned earlier, every one of us can chip in, it should not stop on the pages of Nairaland and you don't need to gather your own personal AK47 equipped militia before you can effect change. I believe the real battle will be for us to capture as many Nigerian hearts and mind as we can. I will repost my earlier comment on this thread with a little edit.

very sad isn't it? But we can work within our own individual spheres of influence to push for change and champion enlightened socio-political knowledge, it is all of our responsibilities, especially those who are more enlightened than the average Nigerian. Our people are ignorant and helpless, it is a hard fact to swallow but Nigerians are not giants of enlightenment or education like we try to believe.

If you have a family, share the knowledge with them, with friends and acquaintances do the same, every bit helps, till we revolt or get a benevolent visionary leader who can lead this country right. We cannot afford to resign to fate. Every little bit of positive propaganda helps. Our future depends on it.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2010
kodewrita:

A post filled with so many ignorant people arguing based on rumour and self-supporting inane opinions.

The FG nationalized BP in the 70s. did we lose our sovereignity for that? Venezuela (much closer to the reach of the US airforce) threatened the oil majors, got them to play ball and got away with it.

The nigerian oil industry is actually a joint venture with the FGN retaining a 55% stake and foreign oil companies having a 45% stake this still gives the foreign IOC's (international oil companies) huge leverage over the FGN.
Chavez is a nationalist leader whose main objective was the redistribution of wealth away from a corrupt US backed elite into the hands of the dispossessed poor, we do not have that kind of leadership in nigeria therefore until we do there is no point comparing Venezuela to nigeria.

In venezuela Chavez did the following:

kicked out the world's biggest oil companies from his country and divested them OF ALL OPERATIONAL CONTROL over crude oil  projects,

nationalized  the cement industry

nationalized the venezuelan  steel industry

Ordered the take-over of a cement plant owned and operated by a foreign owned cement producer

Ordered the takeover  by indigenous venezuelan companies of all rice processing and packaging plants.

nationalized various retail outlets in  Venezuela owned by French companies

nationalized oil drilling rigs belonging to the U.S. companies

is about to nationalise  two U.S.-owned glass-manufacturing plants.

Has announced the proposed takeover of a foreign owned steel manufacturing plant

besides the people in government will only go along if it serves their purpose.

Shell has no power to deeply influence an already crooked nigeria.

Interestingly half of the people making comments have never worked in an oil major (not even as contract staff or external contractor or even industrial attache) yet they claim to know.
As for this comment, The Land Use Act of 1977 says you cant refuse if the government awards MTN your house unless you have a C.of O in which case they compensate you(if they remember). All Land belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria. capisce. so your argument holds no water.

You dont have to have worked in an oil company to understand when you are being shafted by your govt and foreigners. All you need is the ability to read and comprehend.
The land use act assisted the corrupt FGN in illegally appropriating land from states with oil reserves, the FGN did a similar thing in 2002 where they got the Supreme Court to rule that offshore oil wells lying more than 200 km off shore are the property of the FGN and not the state lying adjacent to it.

There's no line in that cable that suggests shell imported arms, it claims they suspect importation of arms. read well.

Research Shell's activities in south america and you will find out how they operate.

besides you all shout shell as if its a company of 5000 white men climbing all over your land. investigate and you will find out its almost wholly filled with nigerians. it is one of the most indigenised of the oil majors. enough said.

Shell nigeria is a subsdiary of Royal Dutch Shell which is a british dutch multinational - its one of the most powerful multinational organisations in the world.

Of course it will be a scary thing if this were true but I choose to take it with a pinch of salt. that someone says he killed another person doesnt make it true unless he actually did. if that holds in a court of law why not here.

thats your prerogative, sometimes its easier to hide from the truth, it makes life a lot easier.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 4:51pm On Dec 09, 2010
kodewrita - just to add to my earlier post, Chavez has had numerous assassination attempts made on his life.

In 2002 chavez was drugged, kidnapped and flown out of the country by the CIA, he was then replaced with a US backed puppet, however the masses of the country stormed the presidential palace demanding that the US govt produce him, the puppet head of state ordered the army to open fire on the masses but the army which was largely made up of men loyal to Chavez refused and instead refused to recognise the US backed puppet, within 48 hours Chavez was flown back into the country by an intermediary acting on behaf of the US govt!!!

Chavez was then reinstated by the troops who remained loyal to him.

There have however been numerous assassination attempts on Chavez's life since 2002, but due to his control over the army it has proved almost impossible for the americans to dislodge him.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/apr2002/vene-a15.shtml
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Omenani(m): 4:58pm On Dec 09, 2010
Is it me or does it seem like there is something nefarious about Shell?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2010
QUESTIONS:

DO WE BLAME THE WEST OR SHELL?

OR

DO WE BLAME OURSELVES?

Is it within our power to attain a reponsible government?

What do we need to do next?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by olaolabiy: 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2010
One thing Nigerians don't understand is International Politics.

OYB and Reference have said it all.

Keep complainin on NL, nothing will change anyway.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Omenani(m): 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2010
Blame everyone but yourselves. undecided

Uncle Tom Africans are willing to sell themselves to the highest bidder like an ashawo. Reminds me of Mobutu Sese Seko.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2010
Naiive is 'nationalise the oil companies' . . . logical is, 'you cannot do without them, but at least deter them from continuing with this'.
What . . . you think Microsoft does not contribute to Europe's economy?? Or you think companies that get fined in the UK don't contribute to their economy??
Now you come here with your 'I have a dream' speech of 'clear out the leaders, change their mentality overnight' and I'm here talking about how we should do sumn to caution them and you accuse me of naivety??

I guess I'm satisfied with being 'Nigerians'.

Again, Shell and so many other oil companies you are here lambasting ALREADY contribute to the Nigerian economy, they have contributed to community development projects and pay billions already to your so called development projects. Stop prescribing the same solution to the problem -- IT IS NOT WORKING. None of your suggestions are new in this case - they have all been applied and shown not to work, why? Because the problem remains GOVERNMENT and GOVERNMENT ALONE. Focus on tackling with the main issues.

Omenani:

Blame everyone but yourselves. undecided

Uncle Tom Africans are willing to sell themselves to the highest bidder like an ashawo. Reminds me of Mobutu Sese Seko.

That is what we do more than anything else!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Onnoghen Appeals Conviction By CCT / Cryptocurrency, Old Naira Notes, Other Buhari’s Policies Reversed By Tinubu / FG Sues 36 States At Supreme Court Over Local Government Autonomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.