Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,066 members, 7,928,215 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 10:52 AM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13169 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Otunbakay(m): 5:19am On Dec 09, 2010
I've read thru every single post on this thread and 4 once every poster have spoken with one voice without any tribal sentiment, accusing a particular region and counter accusations of aiding this looters of our resources in guise of exploration. This is how it should be
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 5:20am On Dec 09, 2010
Hey DapoBear,

Don't sweat it

Seriously, I would rather have shell in control, than have those idiotis in control.

When white people were leaving Nigeria, the infrastructures they left us with were of great quality; compare the state of those infrastructures now vs. during colonial era.

Furthermore, look around us, it is very glaring that our so called leaders are clueless as to how to manage the country. And, those in-charge of shell, looking at its global status, have succeeded in a short time to build a brand the rest of the world can trust.

I would rather have the management/BOT of shell manage our assets and resources the way they manage shell. I tell you, if the affairs of the country were left in the hands of shell, we would, in a very short time, become a force to reckon with in the world.

So, rather than protest against shell, let's find a way to handover the affairs of the country to them; After all, you are the Mr. "most-competent-person-should-be-in-charge" of Nigeria. And looking at the antecedents of shell, I think Nigeria is in very capable and competent hands. Ciao!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 5:32am On Dec 09, 2010
1. (S/NF) Summary: Shell's Vice President for Africa, Ann Pickard (strictly protect), said a September 13 attack on a Shell natural gas node in Rivers State may impact the supply of gas to Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) plant, but she downplayed the impact of recent attacks on Shell's current oil production. She claimed XXXXXXXXXXXX were behind the militant unrest in Rivers State and that XXXXXXXXXXXX Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi's lack of political connections forced him to fight rather than "co-opt" the militants as the Delta and Bayelsa State governors have done. Pickard asked what the USG knew about GAZPROM interest in Nigeria; and if we had any information on shipments of one to three surface to air missiles to militant groups in the Niger Delta. She alleged that a conversation with a Nigerian government official had been secretly recorded by the Russians. Post believes that the spate of recent attacks may have impacted Shell's oil production more than Pickard is letting on. End Summary.

I wonder what entity or individual can fit into the XXXXXXX in this cable, federal govt? A politician?  A foreign country? We may never know, I wish Assange/wikileaks did not remove that part though. . .
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by CapnCrunch: 6:28am On Dec 09, 2010
So whats the point of it all, whats the point of voting when at the end of the day it will be some corrupt leader who old his country away that will be at aso rock?, Nigerians need to unite, we need to forget all our petty disagreements and a revolution needs to happen
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by paradigman(m): 6:37am On Dec 09, 2010
You know wat those criminals in S hell call it. EXTERNAL FOCUSING. Yes that is what the group call it and the idea is simple. TO BE THE BEST, YOU MST KNOW THE REST (MUGU).
It is one of their business principle. It is a GROUP concept.
SHAME ON S hell. May they all to to their name without the S (Amen) and may their collaborators not be spared.
If care is not taken I GO SPILL THE BEAN O, THROW THE SHIT TO THE FAN AND LET THE FAN BLOW THE SHIT EVERYWHERE.

WHO TOLD YOU CHEVRON NO DEY DO.
It is really bad ooooooooooooo.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 6:55am On Dec 09, 2010
^^^Spill it! It will be foolhardy to assume this is just a Shell issue, I can bet all those multinationals are doing the same, they are protecting their own selfish interests, it is rational for them to do so.

The irrational ones are Nigerian leaders; visionless, clueless and willing to mortgage their children and our children's future for immediate gratification -no matter how many kids IBB and co send to Oxford and Cambridge, they are still black, still considered inferior or second class over there and they will still drive vehicles on unsafe Nigerian roads and fly over unsafe Nigerian airspace.

The picture below captures it all, those who should be protecting our interests neglect Our peoples welfare while they play Yesmen to Foreign usurpers. all for what? SMH

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2010
The oil giant Shell claimed it has inserted its staff into all key ministries of the Nigerian government, giving it access to politicians' every move in the oil-rich Niger Delta, according to a leaked US diplomatic cable.

The company's top executive in Nigeria told US diplomats that Shell had seconded employees to every relevant department and so knew "everything that was being done in those ministries". She boasted that the Nigerian government had "forgotten" about the extent of Shell's infiltration and were unaware of how much the company knew about its deliberations.

The cache of secret dispatches from Washington's embassies in Africa also revealed that the Anglo-Dutch oil firm swapped intelligence with the US, in one case providing US diplomats with the names of Nigerian politicians it suspected of supporting militant activity and requesting information from the US on whether the militants had acquired anti-aircraft missiles.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying

This just goes to show the extent to which the problems in Africa are caused by the West.

in the end, nothing surprising - every businessman worth his salt has agents etal  in government to push his agenda. i believe in the us they are called lobbyists

you think adenuga , otedola, the chinese etal don't have their people in the government

yeah, everyone spying on everyone else, while looking out for their bests interests.

there lies the problem - just as in the days of slavery, when it was clear to slave traders that village chiefs were more interested in their personal interests (mirrors, beads etal), rather than the interests of their subjects , the same still goes on today.

90% of the current leadership, from saint gej down to lg chairmen, will sell out nigeria for some paltry concessions. i remembe doing my it in siemen in the late 90s. there was a brand new mercedes  mclass in the car park that staff said was reserved for the minister of telecomms . there's your spy right there.

after all the noise about banning siemens from nigeria and the vaswani bros, they are right ack

even if we chase out shell and all the multinationals today, whoever comes in WILL DO THE SAME OR WORSE. it is securing your investment etal. if bp had had agents in the government in the 70s maybe they would not have been nationalized.

you think western multinationals are bad. . .u never hear when - is it chinese who don't send human rights who will be better?

no matter who we have in nigeria, they will pursue their interest. it is up to us to do the same and get the best out of any bargain by being forward thinking and not succumbing to greed and fear
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 7:09am On Dec 09, 2010
for those of you calling for nationalization, remember what happened to Mossadeq in Iran when he tried to nationalize iranian oil in 1953s. he was assasinated by US CIA and replaced by a puppet.

US is hell bent on ruling the world and controlling all world resources.

strangerf:

Seriously, I would rather have shell in control, than have those idiotis in control.

When white people were leaving Nigeria, the infrastructures they left us with were of great quality; compare the state of those infrastructures now vs. during colonial era.

They didn't build any infrastructure for us. they built it for themselves. The infrastructure was created to allow for easy transportation of raw materials and minerals out of Africa to Europe. Notice all the infrastructure in Africa are concentrated around ports. That's colonialism for you. All the infrastructure were for exploitation.  They exploited our resources to dearth and built railroads and roads to facilitate this process.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 7:12am On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

for those of you calling for nationalization, remember what happened to Mossadeq in Iran when he tried to nationalize iranian oil in 1953s. he was assasinated by US CIA and replaced by a puppet.

So what should we do?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 7:13am On Dec 09, 2010
^---- Fold our arms and pray to God

Lets declare a National day of prayer against the infidels, led by TB Joshua of course
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 7:16am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

So what should we do?

It will be nice if more Nigerians knew about stuff like this and were more politically active rather than passive citizens.
some here are even praising the British and wishing we were still under colonization (which we still are actually. it's called neo-colonization).
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 7:20am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

^---- Fold our arms and pray to God

Lets declare a National day of prayer against the infidels, led by TB Joshua of course

grin very funny, unfortunately millions of Nigerians believe that is the solution. . . We go pray tire

I think Oyb said it well, WE need to negotiate in our own collective interests, but we seem to keep throwing up leaders who do the opposite of that and we have a culture that is reluctant to challenge authority.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by edoyad(m): 7:22am On Dec 09, 2010
for those of you calling for nationalization,  remember what happened to Mossadeq in  Iran when he tried to nationalize iranian oil in 1953 s. he was assasinated by US CIA and  replaced by a puppet.  US is hell bent on ruling the world and  controlling all world resources.

And the Islamic revolution in the  70s corrected that. We need a violent revolution here too, whether Islamic or hedonistic we need one.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by slap1(m): 7:23am On Dec 09, 2010
The worst part is that nothing will be done about this. At most Dora will talk some crap about how unreliable Wikileaks is and how we should ignore enemies of Nigeria and move-on. The illiterate, senile men in the hallowed chambers will make a little fuss about summoning the whole B.O.D of Shell (dead and living) . . . then they'd go on Xmas break and come back next year to see new cases of scam seeking their attention.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 7:24am On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

It will be nice if more Nigerians knew about stuff like this and were more politically active rather than passive citizens.
some here are even praising the British and wishing we were still under colonization (which we still are actually. it's called neo-colonization).

Dont use style to insult me ok?
Be woman enough to face me.

Is there anything wrong with what I said?

We have politicians making 290 mills a year, what for?

We have a president dashin 50 000 dolls to visitors as transport fare, how can you justify that?

I can go on and on

A leader stupit enough to reveal his innermost fears to a foreigner, and to a lady for that matter

Mehn, I would rather have shell take over; at least there would be accountability and transparency, to some extent, in the government.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 7:24am On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

I want them to divest. There is no pretext for invasion if we pressure them to sell. This is different from seizing their assets outright.

And we shouldn't permit them to increase any of their assets within Nigeria. Venezuela and Brazil have oil companies, do they not? As well as the expertise. Screw Shell, screw Chevron, they can both go f.u.ck themselves. Nigeria doesn't need any of these oil companies. We need to find other allies to work with, imo.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 7:25am On Dec 09, 2010
edoyad:

And the Islamic revolution in the 70s corrected that. We need a violent revolution here too, whether Islamic or hedonistic we need one.

Ode

Are you ready to die?

Talk with no action , mumu
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 09, 2010
trooperz:

In the past the Church controlled through the pope and selected kings ( in Italy, Spain, France etc)

Later on States/Nations became sovereign and had power over the people. The church was tactically weakened.

In the New World Order through globalisation, the States must be weakened. Multinational companies must reign supreme, This is the evolution of the society!

Tanzania has a GDP of $28billion and a population of 25million people=$1120/person (est.) shocked

Goldman Sachs has an Annual revenue of the same $28billion shared by 13 business partners=$2billion/ Business partner! shocked

General Motors, a "Multinational" is RICHER than Denmark, a "country! shocked

For more information please read on the Multilateral Agreement on Investment: In summary it may allow Multinational companies SUE sovereign governments.

http://chenry.webhost.utexas.edu/civil/resources/maiclashofglobalizations.pdf

Welcome to the new world, anything for profit! The drama continues!

which is why i hate capitalism.Nigeria,a sovereign state is being exploited at the expense of a non-state actor.
Transnational companies seem to have grown out of proportion and the concept of free market has made become the cabal of the contemporary world.they threaten any economy they feel are not friendly to them,sponsor insurrections,insurgency and even war in some cases.
i emphasized on ''Sovereignity of Nigeria'' because in international relations,what sovereignity makes equal among states,power makes unequal.Nigeria is much a sovereign state as britain,America,Russia or china but they may have more power than Nigeria because they've been to identify their interests,purse them,defend and achieve them. Ability to achieve theses interests go along with weilding as much power as possible which Transnational companies do not have state-wise.
If there is balance of power among Nations,how come transnational companies and some non-governmental organizations have so much power to influence a state when they are not a sovereign state.
It's really annoying cuz I see most of these as a western psychological tool to influence world order through a third party based on capitalism.why will FiFa rule be more powerful then Nigeria ? Now look at shell.mschew
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by slap1(m): 7:28am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

Ode

Are you ready to die?

Talk with no action , mumu
It is that fear of death that makes the dead better than us, sometimes.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 7:30am On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

Yea oyinda, very sad isn't it? But we can work within our own individual spheres of influence to push for change and champion enlightened political knowledge, it is all of our responsibilities, especially those who are more enlightened than the average Nigerian. Our people are ignorant and helpless, it is a hard fact to swallow but Nigerians are not giants of enlightenment or education like we try to believe.

If you have a family, share the knowledge with them, with friends and acquaintances do the same, every bit helps, till we revolt or get a benevolent visionary leader who can lead this country right. We cannot afford to resign to fate. Every little bit of positive propaganda helps. Our future depends on it.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 7:32am On Dec 09, 2010
@Bluetooth: Capitalism is fine. But you don't go into business with a partner who is looking to stab you in the back. This is basically what Shell is. In truth, I don't think we can find any partner who will not stab us in the back, if they have the chance. So rather than giving this 50% share to any one individual, why not split it among 5 individuals who hate each other?

Let Venezuela be one of the five, Shell be another, Russia a third, China a 4th, Brazil a 5th. Rather than all of it in Western hands.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by slap1(m): 7:32am On Dec 09, 2010
edoyad:

And the Islamic revolution in the  70s corrected that. We need a violent revolution here too, whether Islamic or hedonistic we need one.
Just this morning while discussing the stolen DDC machines with my father, he said GEJ's not going to do anything as the president unless he shoots all the corrupt rulers of the past a la Jerry Rawlings.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by silvaspecs: 7:33am On Dec 09, 2010
i watched this film ''BLOOD AND OIL'', i almost wept for Nigeria.

IT IS A TRUE REPRESENTATION OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN NIGERIA, AS REGARDS TO OIL.
OUR LEADERS ARE GREEEEDY!
THE WHITE MAN TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THEIR SELF CENTEREDNESS TO CHEAT US
IMAGIN HOW MANY NIGERIANS SHELL RECENTLY SACKED! NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT IS NOT EVEN GONNA SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT!

NAIJA, IS CRYING FOR LEADERS THAT HAVE THE BALLS TO THROW THIS GUYS TO THEIR COUNTRIES,
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by comechop(m): 7:33am On Dec 09, 2010
I dont know why anyone is surprised by this news.

The only thing surprising is Shell admitting to it.

Funny thing - NNPC spokesman vigorously denied the claim. What an idiot.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by malabite: 7:34am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

I would rather have the management/BOT of shell manage our assets and resources the way they manage shell. I tell you, if the affairs of the country were left in the hands of shell, we would, in a very short time, become a force to reckon with in the world.

1.  Has the white people left Nigeria?
2. Colonial system of administration in Nigeria was based on divide and rule. The colonial masters still divide Nigeria today in other to suck it dry. They instill ethnic violence whenever they see that Nigeria is about to recover
3. Who installed the corrupt politicians? Were they elected by the people or appointed by Shell?
4. Do you think if the Nigerian government is not corrupt Shell will still be doing business in Nigeria?
5. If the management of Shell are angels, as you claim, why are they so heartless as to pollute farming lands and fishing rivers, and leaving the people to starve?
6. Would true angels use their vehicles to convey military men to go and kill innocent villagers?
7. Which angel would go the extra length to assassinate Ken Saro Wiwa, simply because he said you can take the oil only if you don't pollute the environment?
8. If you think Shell management are angels why can't they invest a little portion of their huge profit in clearing up their mess? Are you waiting for Wikileak to tell you that Shell, Harlliburton, Siemens, Julius Berger and all the top multinationals can not do without bribing those they installed to ruin Nigeria
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by DapoBear(m): 7:36am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

If you have a family, share the knowledge with them, with friends and acquaintances do the same, every bit helps, till we revolt or get a benevolent visionary leader who can lead this country right. We cannot afford to resign to fate. Every little bit of positive propaganda helps. Our future depends on it.

For those of you on Facebook, share a link to this article on Facebook so your friends can see it! If you are on Twitter, tweet it. If all you have is email, mail it to your friends. Nigerians need to know who truly rules the country.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 7:37am On Dec 09, 2010
slap1:

Just this morning while discussing the stolen DDC machines with my father, he said GEJ's not going to do anything as the president unless he shoots all the corrupt rulers of the past a la Jerry Rawlings.

Like GEJ's life is safe

Lets be realistic

We are a nation of cowards

We are all talk, no action

Revolution ko, revolution ni.

The only revolution you will ever get is from Pastor Adeboye; And it goes somehow like this; Obey your leaders because God installed them and only God should decide how they are removed.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 7:38am On Dec 09, 2010
Yes, even though the cable was supposedly from september 2008, same time Odili, an ex-politician, at this time, was in court facing the music for most of past crimes in  the Niger Delta region, Ann Pickard has to be referring to him. I mean she must have made a mistake since of all the politicians in the area, it could be Odili, the ex-politcian, behind it all.  grin No politician in the area today is even involved, none whatsoever!! lol

ROFLMAO!!!  grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 7:40am On Dec 09, 2010
slap1:

The worst part is that nothing will be done about this. At most Dora will talk some crap about how unreliable Wikileaks is and how we should ignore enemies of Nigeria and move-on. [/b]The illiterate, senile men in the hallowed chambers will make a little fuss about summoning the whole B.O.D of Shell (dead and living) . . . then they'd go on Xmas break and come back next year to see  new cases of scam seeking their attention.

Right. This current leadership will do nothig about it for sure.

We have a bet on page 1 or 2 of the thread, It's now at a few thousand Dollars with some Nairas thrown in. You might want to add your money to it before it closes, the [b]"Nigerian Government will do nothing"
side is winning this for sure cheesy

an anti shell website already reported Levi Ajuonoma mouthing the regular "Deny and Do nothing" line SMH;

Nigeria tonight strenuously denied the claim. Levi Ajuonoma, a spokesman for the state-owned Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, said: “Shell does not control the government of Nigeria and has never controlled the government of Nigeria. This cable is the mere interpretation of one individual. It is absolutely untrue, an absolute falsehood and utterly misleading. It is an attempt to demean the government and we will not stand for that. I don’t think anybody will lose sleep over it.”

http://royaldutchshellplc.com/tag/ann-pickard/
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 7:43am On Dec 09, 2010
strangerf:

Like GEJ's life is safe

Lets be realistic

We are a nation of cowards

We are all talk, no action

Revolution ko, revolution ni.

The only revolution you will ever get is from Pastor Adeboye; And it goes somehow like this; Obey your leaders because God installed them and only God should decide how they are removed.

Touche!

LWKMD  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by slap1(m): 7:44am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

@Bluetooth: Capitalism is fine. But you don't go into business with a partner who is looking to stab you in the back. This is basically what Shell is. In truth, I don't think we can find any partner who will not stab us in the back, if they have the chance. So rather than giving this 50% share to any one individual, why not split it among 5 individuals who hate each other?

Let Venezuela be one of the five, Shell be another, Russia a third, China a 4th, Brazil a 5th. Rather than all of it in Western hands.
+1. But don't think the government is blind to this way of thinking. The truth is Shell will lose billions of dollars if this happens. That is why they spend a few million dollars on their spies who kick against ideas like this. The truth is without the help of some greedy Nigerians, Shell won't be able to milk us as much as they're doing now.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by edoyad(m): 7:50am On Dec 09, 2010
Posted by: strangerf Hey DapoBear, Don't sweat it Seriously, I would rather have shell in control, than have those idiotis in control. When white people were leaving Nigeria, the  infrastructures they left us with were of great  quality; compare the state of those  infrastructures now vs. during colonial era. Furthermore, look around us, it is very glaring that our so called leaders are clueless as to  how to manage the country. And, those in- charge of shell, looking at its global status,  have succeeded in a short time to build a  brand the rest of the world can trust. I would rather have the management/BOT of  shell manage our assets and resources the  way they manage shell. I tell you, if the  affairs of the country were left in the hands of  shell, we would, in a very short time, become  a force to reckon with in the world. So, rather than protest against shell, let's  find a way to handover the affairs of the  country to them; After all, you are the Mr. " most-competent-person-should-be-in-charge" of Nigeria. And looking at the antecedents of  shell, I think Nigeria is in very capable and  competent hands. Ciao!

Is this one not one of those bas.tard children of shell workers whose father sends stipends for his maternal family for upkeep ?
You actually prefer shell running Nigeria right ? I really don't have time for your case now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Onnoghen Appeals Conviction By CCT / Cryptocurrency, Old Naira Notes, Other Buhari’s Policies Reversed By Tinubu / FG Sues 36 States At Supreme Court Over Local Government Autonomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.